According to a new report published by Allied Market Research titled, “Antimicrobial Textiles Market by Fabric, Active Agent, and Application: Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2020–2027,”
The global antimicrobial textiles market was valued at $10.0 billion in 2019, and is projected to reach $18.2 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 7.4% from 2020 to 2027.
Antimicrobial textiles offer numerous benefits such as protection against stains, extended product life, and freshness. Antimicrobial treatment can be applied during normal textile finishing processes, which includes no special process.
The demand for antimicrobial textiles has increased, owing to rise in concerns regarding health and hygiene among consumers. Antimicrobial textiles have gained traction in recent years, owing to their ability to decrease infection transmission in health care and medical environments. Antimicrobial characteristics can also improve lifespan and performance of consumer products. Furthermore, these types of fabrics have reduced unpleasant odors. However, stringent government regulations and environmental and health concerns regarding use of antimicrobial agents applied on textiles are some of the factors that hinder the growth of the antimicrobial textiles market. On the contrary, growth in the healthcare sector in developing regions such as Asia-Pacific and LAMEA is expected to offer numerous lucrative opportunities for antimicrobial textiles manufacturers during the forecast period. Antimicrobial textiles market share is analyzed for every segment and region.
The antimicrobial textiles market is segmented on the basis of fabric, active agents, application, and region. By fabric, the antimicrobial textiles market is divided into polyester, polyamide, cotton, and others. On the basis of active agent, it is categorized into metal & metallic salts, synthetic organic compounds, and bio-based agents. By application, it is divided into medical textiles, home textiles, apparels, and others. By region, the antimicrobial textiles market is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
On the basis of active agent, the bio-based agents segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.8%, in terms of revenue, during the forecast period. This is attributed to rise in concerns regarding environmental and toxic nature of some metal-based and synthetic organic chemical agents.
On the basis of application, the medical textile segment garnered a CAGR of 43.1%, in terms of revenue, in 2019, and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.8% during the forecast period. This is attributed to various factors such as established consumer base in North America and Europe. In addition, rapid growth in the healthcare sector in developing regions also propels the antimicrobial textiles market growth.
On the basis of region, Asia-Pacific is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.0%, in terms of revenue, during the forecast period. This is attributed to factors such as rise in awareness regarding use of antimicrobial textiles and presence of major textile manufacturers in countries such as India and China. In addition, growth in the sports sector and increase in expenditure in military fabrics in developing countries such as India also propels growth of the antimicrobial textiles market in the region.
The antimicrobial textiles market analysis covers in-depth information of major industry participants. The key players operating and profiled in the report include Aditya Birla Group (ABG), Fuji Chemical Industries, Ltd., Herculite, Inc., Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited., (IVL), Kolon Industries, Inc., Response Fabrics (India) Pvt. Ltd (Response Fabrics), Sanitized AG, Sarex Textile Chemicals (Sarex Textile), Toyobo Co., LTD. (Toyobo), and Vardhman Holdings Limited (Vardhman Holdings).
Other players in antimicrobial textiles market include Unitika Ltd., Purthread Technologies Inc., Barjan Manufacturing Ltd., Stafford Textile Ltd, Maine-Lee Technology Group, Llc, Meditex Technology, and Medtronic.
Key findings of the study
- The report outlines the antimicrobial textiles market trends and future scenario of the antimicrobial textiles market from 2019 to 2027 to understand the prevailing opportunities and potential investment pockets.
- The antimicrobial textiles market size is provided for fabric types, applications, and others.
- On the basis of region, the North America antimicrobial textiles market gained a share of 34.0% in 2019, in terms of revenue.
- On the basis of fabric, the polyester segment garnered a share of 42.6% in 2019, in terms of revenue.
- On the basis of application, the apparels segment gained 28.7% share in 2019, in terms of revenue.
- On the basis of active agent, the synthetic organic compounds segment garnered a share 45.1% in 2019, in terms of revenue.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Antimicrobial Textiles market
- Manufacturing as well as supply regions or countries witnessed economic slowdown, owing to lockdowns implemented across several countries. The downstream section of the value chain, such as home textiles manufacturers witnessed less demand, which has impacted the growth of antimicrobial textiles market.
- The utilization of antimicrobial medical textiles has increased to stop hospital-acquired infections (HAIs). Antimicrobial textiles manufacturers have increased production to serve the increased demand across the world.