According to a new report published by Allied Market Research titled, “Protective Clothing Market by Material Type, Application, and End-Use Industry: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2020–2027,” the protective clothing market was valued at $8.7 billion in 2019, and is projected to reach $12.0 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 6.0% from 2020 to 2027.
The demand for protective clothing has witnessed a tremendous growth driven by increase in concern regarding workers or employee safety in industries such as oil & gas, pharmaceuticals, firefighting, construction & manufacturing, and others. Protective clothing is an intense research and development (R&D) oriented industry. All the industry players invest immensely to find new avenues for their product segments and to reduce the overall production cost. In addition, the major factor contributing toward the growth of the protective clothing market includes stringent governmental regulations for safety of workers.
However, high price of protective clothing and a constant threat of substitution are expected to hamper the market growth during the forecast period. A growth in the penetration of protective clothing in industries such as oil & gas and pharmaceuticals will provide significant opportunities to the industry players across the value chain. Furthermore, an increase in demand from emerging economies such as India, China, South Korea, and Brazil are expected to drive future growth.
The protective clothing market is segmented into material type, application, end-use industry and region. Depending on material type, the market is categorized into aramid & blends, polyolefin & blends, polybenzimidaloe (PBI), cotton fibers, laminated polyesters, and others. Various applications of protective clothing studied in the market include thermal, mechanical, chemical, biological/radiation, and others. On the basis of end-use industry the market is bifurcated into oil & gas, construction and manufacturing, pharmaceuticals/medical, military and defense, firefighting, and others. Region wise, the market is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA. Protective clothing market share is analyzed across all segments and regions.
On the basis of material type, aramid & blends segment holds the highest share of the world protective clothing market in 2019 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. However, the oil & gas industry is expected to witness the highest growth during the forecast period.
In 2019, construction & manufacturing was the largest end-user industry with around 29.6% value share, followed by oil & gas, law enforcement & military, firefighting, and pharmaceuticals industries. The extraordinary physio-chemical properties of various type of protective clothing, such as microbial, thermal, mechanical, chemical, and radiation resistance, have increased their penetration in wide array of application, as it results in increased safety.
In 2019, North America and Asia-Pacific collectively accounted for nearly three-fourth of the worldwide demand for protective clothing and are expected to maintain their lead position throughout the forecast period. However, Asia-Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region, in terms of value, with a CAGR of 6.7% during the forecast period.
The protective clothing market analysis covers in-depth information of the major industry participants. The key players operating and profiled in the market include DuPont, Lakeland Industries, Inc., Ballyclare Limited, 3M Company, Koninklijke Ten Cate NV, Teijin Limited., VF Corporation, Cetriko S.L., W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc., and Glen Raven Inc.
Other players in the value chain of the protective clothing market include Lion Apparel Inc., Globe Manufacturing Co. LLC, PBI Performance Product Inc., Workrite Uniform Company Inc., Logistik Unicorp Inc, VF Imagewear, Inc., Globus Ltd., Kermel Industries, Newtex Industries, Inc., Hydrowear B.V., Protective Industrial Products, Inc., Alpha Pro Tech, Ltd., Radians, Inc., National Safety Apparel, and others.
Key Findings Of The Study
- The protective clothing market is analyzed from 2019 to 2027
- On the basis of region, the North America protective clothing market gained a share of 33.0% in 2019
- The thermal application garnered a share of 34.1% in 2019
- On the basis of material type, the aramid & blends segment gained a share of 30.0% of the share in 2019
- On the basis of end-use industry, the construction and manufacturing segment gained 29.6% share in 2019
- A comprehensive analysis of the factors that drive and restrain the market growth is provided in the report
- The qualitative data in this report aims at the market dynamics, market trends, and developments in the industry
- The protective clothing market size in provided in terms of revenue
Impact of COVID-19 on the protective clothing market
- Manufacturing as well as supply regions or countries witnessed economic slowdown, owing to the lockdown implemented across several countries. The downstream section of the value chain, which is the end-use industry, has witnessed less demand. This impacted the growth of the protective clothing market.
- The protective clothing market majorly depends on the factor named economic base. It implies industries that generate lots of jobs in a regional or local area.
- Major job creating industries such as construction, oil and gas, automotive were affected by outbreak of COVID-19, which affected the demand for protective clothing.
- For instance, the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic has resulted into decrease in industrial as well as construction activities in each and every region of the world. This resulted in reduced workforce and large number of layoffs. In April 2020, around 10.8% of total construction workers were laid off in the U.S.