Although 3D printing technology has not yet gained traction in certain regions, researchers have proposed an updated technology called 4D printing. As the 4D printing industry involves state-of-the-art self-assembling materials, 4D printing could replace 3D printing in the future. Research on 4D printing is being conducted at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Auto desk and a few other institutions. Researchers are seeking to develop a code which would enable objects printed in 3D to transform themselves and change shape. “4D printing is still in its infancy stage and it could be difficult to say that how could it be used. However the technology has big potential to develop” stated Amar Hansal, senior Vice President at AutoDesk. The growing demand for innovation in various 3D applications and the U.S. army’s considerable investment in research and development from are the key driving factors for the 4D printing technology market. Although there are various factors driving the market, complex coding techniques and the exorbitant expenses involved in developing smart materials remains a challenge for researchers. Stratasys’ Education ‐ a U.S based 3D printer manufacturer AutoDesk Inc. - a software provider Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT’s) Self-Assembly Lab and the R&D Departments of a number of institutes have joined efforts to conduct research on 4D printing.
The 4D printing market is segmented based on application into various sectors such as Military & defense, Manufacturing, Automotive, Medicine, Infrastructure, Construction, Clothing and Aerospace. According to Hansal, the technology also has potential in areas such as biology, construction, robotics, space exploration and transportation.
- The analysis of the global market provides an overview of the global 4D printing market with special reference to market trends, market structure, limiting factors and opportunities
- Porters Five Forces model is used to analyze the potential of buyers & suppliers, and the competitive structure of the market, to guide the market players to develop effective strategies
- Assessments are made according to the current business scenario and the future market structure & trends are forecast for the period 2013-2020 considering 2013 as the base year
- The global market is analyzed in a comprehensive manner to help the stakeholders identify the key market opportunities
- Value chain analysis provides a systematic study on the key intermediaries involved, which would in turn help the stakeholders to make appropriate strategies
KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
The global applications market is segmented based on various applications such as Military & defense, Automotive, Medicine, Construction, Manufacturing, Infrastructure, Clothing and Aerospace.
MARKET BY APPLICATIONS
- Military & defense
MARKET BY GEOGRAPHY
- North America
- Asia Pacific