5G Small Cell Market Outlook – 2027
The global 5G small cell market is experiencing significant growth and is expected to grow considerably in the next few years. 5G small cell is a low power base stations or nodes, which are deployed on a semiconductor chip or wafer. This cell is increasingly being used by telecom operators to enhance the network coverage. The small cell network plays an important role in 5G networks.
Presently, 5G telecom companies are focused on deployments of small cell under low-frequency band to deliver enhanced bandwidth services to customers. In addition, 5G small cells are small in size and are extremely convenient to install and dismantle. They consume less power, making them environment-friendly. These advantages have resulted in pushing up the demand for these cells, further driving the 5G small cell base station market.
The global 5G small cell market is segmented on the basis of component, cell type, deployment mode, network model, network architecture, end user, and region. Based on component, the 5G small cell market is bifurcated into hardware, and services. In terms of cell type, the market is categorized into picocells, femtocells, and microcells. On the basis of deployment mode, the market is bifurcated into indoor, and outdoor.
In terms of network model, the market is divided into standalone, and non-standalone. On the basis of network architecture, the market is categorized into distributed, and virtualized. Based on end user, the market is segregated into telecom operators, and enterprises. Geographically, the market is analyzed across several regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa (LAMEA).
Key players operating in the global 5G small cell industry include Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd., Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson, Samsung Group, CommScope Inc., ZTE Corporation, Cisco Systems Inc., Airspan Networks Inc., NEC Corporation, Nokia Corporation, Comba Telecom Systems Holdings Ltd., and Fujitsu Limited. These companies have adopted several strategies such as product launches, partnerships, collaborations, mergers & acquisitions, and joint ventures to strengthen their foothold in the global 5G small cell market.
Top Impacting Factors
Increase in network densification, rising mobile data traffic, emergence of citizens broadband radio service (CBRS) band, the need to minimize capital expenditure (CAPEX) & operating expenses (OPEX), and surge in investment in 5G infrastructure by several economies have boosted the growth of the global 5G small cell market.
However, 5G small cell deployment challenges and concerns related to fiber backhaul are the factors that hamper the market growth. On the contrary, the emergence of the Internet of Things (IoT) and increase in demand for ultra-reliable low latency communications are expected to create lucrative opportunities in the near future.
Growing Mobile Data Traffic
There has been continuous increase in data traffic, owing to the advent of Virtual Realities (VR), internet of things (IoT), Augmented Reality (AR), smartphones, voice applications, and video & audio content, giving rise to the extensive demand for higher network bandwidth. As per studies, the bandwidth of 1 Gigabits per second (Gbps) is anticipated to be provided by 5G small cell services, whereas the 4G can provide a bandwidth of 200 Megabits per second (Mbps).
For instance, according to Ericsson, the monthly data traffic per smartphone usage is expected to rise by 10 times. The upsurge in mobile data traffic leads to growth in demand for 5G small cell. 5G-ready small cell plays a significant role to improve mobile coverage as well as capacity.
Integration of 5G Technology to Favor Market Growth
There is a mounting demand for high-speed mobile data; hence, 5G is anticipated to introduce a new age of mobile internet technology. There is increasing expectation among consumers regarding 5G technology. Industry players are expecting that 5G technology will significantly expand in the next few years.
In addition, 5G is perceived as the foundation for the proliferation of IoT to become more accessible. The combination of these two technologies is expected to expand the connectivity among people and revolutionize business processes, particularly in the service and manufacturing sectors.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global 5G small cell market forecast along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the global 5G small cell market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global 5G small cell market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed 5G small cell market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis
- The global 5G small cell market has been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak. New projects throughout the world have slowed down; however, there is significant demand for 5G small cell. The pandemic have slowed down operator network plans, but the small cell unit shipment is anticipated to trend steadily upward through the forecast period.
- The global factories are struggling to manufacture and assemble new devices as workers have stayed in their homes and even the already available devices in various warehouses cannot be transported due to current rules & regulations, which disrupted the global supply chains.
- The impact of COVID-19 on this market is temporary. The pandemic is expected to provide opportunities for companies to think about ways of increasing production, research about technologies, and improve current products.
- The demand for carrier indoor small cells is expected to continue grow rapidly, as aggressive 5G network rollouts in across countries, such as China, are driving huge volume of distributed DRS solutions including ZTE's Qcell and Huawei's Lapsite.
Questions Answered in the 5G Small Cell Market Research Report
- Which are the leading market players active in the 5G small cell market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the 5G small cell market size?
- How the current 5G small cell market trends that will influence the industry in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
5G Small Cell Market Report Highlights
By Cell Type
By End User
Key Market Players
Nokia Corporation,, NEC Corporation,, Comba Telecom Systems Holdings Ltd.,, Airspan Networks Inc.,, Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.,, Fujitsu Limited., Samsung Group,, CommScope Inc.,, Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson, ZTE Corporation,, Cisco Systems Inc.,