The air electrode battery market is expected to grow in the coming years due to the vast application of its usage. Air electrode batteries comprise of cathodes that hold oxygen segregated from the metal anode by an electrolyte and can interact directly with catalysts. This leads to an enhanced electron movement and a stable charge-discharge cycle. Air electrode battery simplifies the design and increases the energy density of the fuel cell. Although, the use of lithium as a metal increases the energy output. Integration of nano-materials in air electrode battery makes it possible to design three dimensional electrodes with improved energy efficiency and kinetics. They are lighter, and theoretically, may store higher electrochemical capacity than Li-ion batteries. The high electrochemical performance of air-electrode batteries plays to the advantage of the global market. Furthermore, the need to ensure seamless execution of electronic systems in industries has also brought air electrode batteries to the fore. The increase in the use of electric vehicle helps the market of air electrode battery to grow.
Market Scope and Structure Analysis
Market Size Available for Years
Base Year Considered
Type and Application
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic affected the air electrode battery market, which saw a huge decline in the demand. The supply chain was affected due to the lockdown in the various countries, which caused a decline in the growth of the market.
- The major usage of these batteries is found in the electric vehicle, but due to the pandemic, the automobile sector had come to a halt and thus, the loss was reflected on the air electrode battery market.
- With manufacturing industries remaining shut during the lockdown, the air electrode battery market faced a faced major decline in production activities.
- Chine dominates the air electrode battery market and was the first country to be affected by COVID-19, which caused interruption in the supply of raw material.
- The COVID-19 pandemic severely impacted the market supply chain. Raw material suppliers, electrode material producers, and battery pack manufacturers are expected to take a significant amount of time to recover to the pre-COVID level.
Top Impacting Factors
The demand for air electrode battery is very high in the market due to its variety of application, electrochemical performance, higher storage capacity, and lower environmental impact when compared to ion batteries, thereby, enhancing their commercial market value. The eco-friendliness of batteries helps the market to grow as all energy is transferred to clean energy source, due to its impact on the nature. The longer shell life and the high performance of these battery increases the demand for these battery in the market. The high energy density of air-electrode batteries is also expected to reek of growth within the global market. The low cost involved in the production propels its demand in the market. However, the shorter life cycle and lower energy efficiency of air batteries, when compared to ion batteries, are expected to change the commercial viability of the product. Countries such as India, handling of E-waste is not done properly, so the battery used is not properly handled, which causes a constraint for the battery market.
Unfavorable policies along with the rise in number of regulations and up gradation of technology restrain the growth of the air electrode battery market. The increase in deployment of the electric vehicle is an opportunity for air electrode battery to capture the global market. With automobile shifting from conventional source to the electrical energy, the market of air electrode battery is expected to grow in the future.
- In March 2021, Grabat developed graphene batteries that could offer electric cars a driving range of up to 500 miles on a charge. Graphenano, the company behind the development, claims that batteries can be charged to full in just a few minutes and can charge and discharge 33 times faster than lithium ion.
- On 24 October 2019, Researchers at MIT announced the creation of an innovative specialized battery that they have proven can absorb carbon dioxide from the air passing over its electrodes as it is being charged up and then release that gas as it is being discharged.
- An electric car manages to run 1,100 miles on a single charge. The advancement to this super range is a type of battery technology called aluminum-air that uses oxygen from the air to fill its cathode. This makes it far lighter than liquid filled lithium-ion batteries to give the car a far greater range.
- The new technology in the battery segment provides an alternative type of lithium-ion battery, which uses silicon to achieve three times better performance than the current graphite li-ion batteries. The battery is similar to lithium-ion, which is present in smartphones, but it uses silicon instead of graphite in anodes. This helps to increase the better efficiency and performance.
Key Benefits of Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the air electrode battery market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the air electrode battery market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed from 2020 to 2030 to highlight the air electrode battery market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed air electrode battery market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Air Electrode Battery Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
Tesla Inc., Grabat, Poly Plus Battery Company, Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd., BASF Global, Mullen Technologies, Inc., Volkswagen Ag, Panasonic Corporation, Hitachi Maxell Ltd, LG Chem Ltd.