Airborne Ku-Band SATCOM Market Outlook – 2027
The global airborne Ku-band satellite communication (SATCOM) market is experiencing a significant growth due to increase in aircraft fleet globally. Airborne SATCOM is widely used by commercial, government, and defense organizations to deliver effective broadband communication services to aircrafts operating at high speeds. Ku-Band SATCOM operates at a frequency range of 12 GHz to 18 GHz. Airborne SATCOM are highly flexible systems that meet the operational and maintenance requirements of different aircraft systems such as fixed wings or rotary wings aircraft. Mission & business critical demands for audio, video, and high-speed data services on aerial platforms is fulfilled by broadband communication via satellite, made possible only by airborne SATCOM.
COVID-19 scenario analysis:
Airborne SATCOM providers are facing short-term operational issues due to government-imposed lockdown in order to slow the spread of COVID-19.
The delays in projects due to supply chain disruption due to COVID-19 outbreak, is draining organizations of their financial resources that will hamper supply & procurement of SATCOM systems by military agencies as well as civil agencies.
The halt of ongoing process of installation or upgradation of SATCOM systems due to lack of workforce globally will take a toll on airborne SATCOM price & demand.
Aviation industry is experiencing financial crisis due to travel bans & grounding of airlines owing to the government initiatives in the wake of COVID-19.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers and impact analysis
Surge in usage of SATCOM transceiver, increase in demand for integration of newer generation SATCOM, and rise in adoption of customized SATCOM on-the-move solutions are the factors that drive the global airborne Ku-band SATCOM market. However, cybersecurity issues and high cost of satellite services hinder the market growth. On the contrary, ultra-compact SATCOM terminals for tactical UAVs and need to enhance passenger experience present new pathways in the industry.
The global airborne Ku-band SATCOM market trends are as follows:
Demand for newer generation SATCOM
The demand in new aircrafts can be attributed to the deployment of advanced airborne SATCOM systems across commercial & military applications. Recently, in 2020, ThinKom Solutions Inc. (satellite communication service provider headquartered in California, US) demonstrated interoperability capability of Ku-band phased-array antenna subsystem with low-earth orbit (LEO) satellite. Further, Ku-band terminal demonstrated rapid acquisition & tracking of LEO satellites and provided continuous connectivity over all operationally relevant elevation angles. Moreover, the switch time between individual satellite beams was less than 100ms, and handoffs between satellites were completed in less than one second. In addition, the measured terminal performance demonstrated the potential that the combination of ThinKom antennas & LEO solutions will provide, with throughput rates in excess of 350Mbps on the downlink and 125Mbps on the uplink, at latencies of less than 50ms. Such demand for newer generation SATCOM is expected to drive the growth of the airborne SATCOM market.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global airborne Ku-band SATCOM industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global airborne Ku-band SATCOM market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global airborne Ku-band SATCOM market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global airborne Ku-band SATCOM market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the airborne Ku-band SATCOM market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the airborne Ku-band SATCOM market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Airborne Ku-Band SATCOM Market Report Highlights
By Installation Type
Key Market Players
Viasat Inc., Gilat Satellite Networks, Aselsan., Raytheon Technologies Corporation, Inmarsat, General Dynamic, Cobham PLC, Thales Group, Teledyne Microwave Solutions, Honeywell International Inc.