Alumina trihydrate, also known as aluminum trihydroxide and abbreviated as ATH is a white powder which is non-toxic, chemically inert, less abrasive and halogen-free and is the most widely used flame retardant across the globe. It is derived usually from bauxite ore and is available in different particle sizes refined via Bayers process. Once the chemical is washed and dried, it is used as a feedstock for a wide range of alumina chemicals. Alumina trihydrate decomposes to aluminum oxide and water when heated at 180 C and thus is used widely as a flame retardant. Alumina trihydrate is mainly used in wooden furniture, tapestry and construction aggregate as well as an antacid in pharmaceutical industry.
As alumina trihydrate behave as a heat sink, it retards pyrolysis and reduces the burning rate. The water vapors released after heating has an added property of diluting toxic fumes and combustion gases. Alumina trihydrate has four polymorphs namely bayerite, gibbsite, nordstrandite and doyleite and is amphoteric in nature that is it dissolves in acid as well as alkali releasing hexaaquaaluminum, tetrahydroxidoaluminate or its hydrolysis products. Alumina trihydrate is also used in the manufacture of aluminum compounds such as calcined alumina, polyaluminum chloride, aluminum sulfate, zeolites, sodium aluminate, alumina nitrate etc.
The world alumina trihydrate market is witnessing vivid opportunities due to increase in stringent regulations by the governments of various countries for the use of flame retardants in furniture and construction activities. Moreover, major drivers in the world alumina trihydrate market include increasing demand for flame retardant plastics in the automotive industry along with increasing growth of alumina trihydrate in water treatment. Furthermore, increasing use of alumina trihydrate as a substitute for titanium dioxide pigments in paints & coatings and paper industry due to cost effectiveness is a key factor driving the overall market. However, increasing preference for magnesium hydroxide as antacids in pharmaceuticals industry can pose severe challenges to the overall market.
The report segments the world alumina trihydrate market on the basis of end-use industry and geography. On the basis of end-use industry, the market is segmented into chemicals industry, paints and coatings industry, paper industry, plastics industry, pharmaceuticals industry, building and construction industry and others. Geographically, the market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and LAMEA.
Various key players in the world alumina trihydrate market are focusing on producing ultra-fine alumina especially for pharmaceuticals and paper industries. Major companies profiled in this report include Albemarle Corporation, Alfa Aesar, Sumitomo Chemical Corporation Limited., Huber Engineered Materials, Alcoa Inc., Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd., Nabaltec AG, Showa Denko K.K. and MAL Zrt.
KEY BENEFITS FOR STAKEHOLDERS
- The report necessitates the detailed qualitative and quantitative analysis of current market estimations for the forecast period, 2014 2022, which assists in evaluating the prevailing market opportunities.
- Comprehensive analysis of factors that drive and restrict the growth of the world alumina trihydrate market is provided.
- Region specific and country specific analysis of market value and volume are based on primary as well as secondary sources and are comprehensively analyzed in this report.
- Competitive intelligence (of leading producers and suppliers of bitumen) helps in understanding the competitive scenario across the geographies.
- The report provides extensive qualitative insights on the potential and niche segments or regions exhibiting favorable growth.
- The report furnishes key insights on strategic analysis of various companies as well as the value chain for alumina trihydrate.
ALUMINA TRIHYDRATE MARKET KEY SEGMENTS:
Market by End-use Industry
- Plastics Industry
- Paper Industry
- Paint & Coatings Industry
- Chemicals Industry
- Pharmaceuticals Industry
- Building and Construction Industry
Market by Geography
"Note : The list of companies mentioned in the description is tentative in nature and may change after detailed analysis."
- North America
- Asia Pacific