Amphotericin B is polyene class of drug and it is a subgroup of macrolide antibiotics. It works by interfering cell membrane of fungus. Amphotericin B is an antifungal drug which is used in treatment of critical fungal infections, leishmaniasis, and others. Moreover, this drug can be used in treatment of mucormycosis, blastomycosis, candidiasis, cryptococcosis, aspergillosis and others. Fever, chills, and headaches are the common side effects of this drug. Amphotericin appear to be relatively safe during pregnancy. Fungilin, Fungizone, Abelcet, Halizon, Amphotec, Fungisome, and Amphocil are some commercial names of amphotericin B.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as Hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry is expected to witness a significant growth in the future owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19. This in turn is expected to have a significant impact on the amphotericin B market.
Top Impacting Factors
- Increase in cases of hospital acquired infections, surge number of mucormycosis infections, rise in prevalence of fungal infection, increase in demand of effective anti-fungal drugs, and grow in unhygienic practices are the key factors that drive the growth of market.
- In addition, large range of antifungal infections, rise in expenses to build health care infrastructure, rise in R&D expenditure for launch of approved drug coupled with funding from public & private sector, launch of novel drugs in market, and ongoing partnership between key market players to develop anti-fungal drugs can boost the growth of market.
- However, severe side effects related to use of amphotericin b and increase in resistance antifungal drugs can restrain the growth of the market.
- Contrarily, rise in consumption of antifungal drugs in developing countries and government initiatives for faster regulatory approvals are expected to offer lucrative opportunities for the expansion of the market.
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
In 2021, SP Accure Labs announced launching of amphotericin B emulsion. This drug is used in treatment of mucormycosis.
In 2021, Celon Laboratories announced launching of amphotericin B emulsion. This drug can be used in treatment of mucormycosis commonly known of black fungus.
In 2021, TLC a drug maker company announced launch of liposomal amphotericin B in India. The product is named as AmphoTLC and can be effective in treatment of mucormycosis.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of amphotericin B market industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Amphotericin B Market Report
- Which are the leading players active in the amphotericin B market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is "amphotericin B"?
- What is "amphotericin B" market prediction in the future?
- Who are the leading global players in the "amphotericin B" market?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the key benefits of the "amphotericin B" market report?
Amphotericin B Market Report Highlights
By Distribution Channel
Key Market Players
Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma, Hospira, ICN Pharmaceuticals Inc., Merck & Co. Inc., Abbott Laboratories, Actavis, Pfizer, Hawkins Inc., Fujifilm Walker Pharmaceuticals, Sandoz International GmbH