Antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) are commonly termed as anticonvulsants or antiseizure drugs, which are used in symptomatic treatment of epileptic seizures. The epileptic seizures show recurring episodes and occur due to wrong signal sent by nerve cells to the brain. Antiepileptic drugs also act as mood stabilizers and also used in the treatment of bipolar disorders or neuropathic pain. Antiepileptics market is specifically driven due to new drug approvals over the past few years. However, recent patent expiration of major brand such as Lamictal is expected to hinder the growth of the market. GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Sanofi, Pfizer, Novartis, Abbott, Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, and Cephalon are some of the key leaders of global antiepileptic drugs market. Generic competition has dramatically increased for antiepileptics due to patent expiration of major brands and in future, it would be responsible for down pricing of branded drugs. Lyrica was the largest selling antiepileptic brand owing to its highly efficacious nature. Retigabine and perampanel are recently approved antiepileptics, which act through new molecular targets.
Antiepileptic drugs market is segmented based on drug type and geography. Drug type segment is further categorized into two broad categories, namely first and second-generation antiepileptic drugs. Phenytoin, carbamazepine, oxycarbazepine and valproate from the first generation class, dominates the overall antiepileptics market. From the second-generation drugs, zonisamide, levetiracetam, and lacosamide are gaining popularity due to their tolerability and high efficacy. Geographically, global antiepileptic drugs market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and LAMEA. North America and Europe dominates the global market due to extensive R&D efforts and presence of approved second-generation antiepileptics. Asia-pacific is the fastest growing market owing to widespread prevalence of epilepsy and better penetration of antiepileptic drugs. In-depth coverage of the global antiepileptic drugs market including drivers, restraints and opportunities would help professionals to better understand market behavior. Porter’s Five Forces analysis examines the competitive structure of the global antiepileptic drugs market and it would assist market strategists in their respective decision making process. Pinpointed analysis of geographic segments would help to identify opportunities for growth within the global antiepileptic drugs market.
- This report offers the following benefits in particular:
- In-depth coverage of the global antiepileptic drugs market including drivers, restraints and opportunities would help professionals to better understand market behavior
- Porter’s Five Forces analysis examines the competitive structure of the global antiepileptic drugs market and it would assist market strategists in their respective decision making process
- Pinpointed analysis of geographic segments helps to identify opportunities for growth within the global antiepileptic drugs market
- Detailed study of the strategies of key leaders, partnerships and acquisitions in the global antiepileptic drugs market would be informative for professionals in the corporate sector
Antiepileptic Drugs Market Report Highlights
By DRUG TYPE
Key Market Players
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, AbbVie, Johnson & Johnson, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Sanofi, Novartis, GlaxoSmithKline, Sun Pharmaceutical, Pfizer, Mylan NV