By compromising user credentials, a large number of attackers target cloud services making authentication the most vulnerable part of the cloud platform. Authentication as a service is used as the solution to such problems. Organizations can control access to their applications and servers from various networks and devices with the help of an authentication service. Companies with strict password requirements can track passwords usage and provide employees with a secure way to log in to resources through authentication services. Authentication as a service includes services such as single-sign-on, multi-factor authentication and password management on the cloud. A typical authentication as a service architecture contains components such as identity management, authentication strategy, authorization and access control, security policy management, key and certificate management and fraud and anomaly detection. To ensure secure authentication, service providers use different strategies such as single factor and two-factor authentication, graphical authentication, public key infrastructure, social, one-time and biometric authentication.
Some of the authentication as a services solution provided by authentication providers are; a single sign-on option for the developers to deliver access control for their application based on centralized policies and rules provided by Azure active directory. It is Microsoft's cloud-based which provides main directory services along with access management and identity protection on a single solution platform. Furthermore, to access users windows devices and applications Microsoft Active Directory provides IT admin to control permission to services and user action, single sign-on to internet web-based resources and also provides users with access to network resources with the help of authorizations such as Kerberos, DNS and LDAP.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis:
- During COVID-19 because of lockdown and restrictions, many enterprises shift from their traditional workplace set up to work from home as remote working solutions witness a surge.
- As more personal unsecured systems started accessing the enterprises' network the risk of compromising the network also increased, thereby increasing security breaches in an organization.
- Additionally, as organizations are busy reconfiguring their vulnerable supply chain, offering a more digital experience and meeting the growing demand of the workforce during COVID-19. Many malicious attackers are taking advantage of this situation to attack the organization's system.
Therefore, increasing cybercrimes during COVID-19 is one of the reasons for the increase in growth for authentication service market.
Top Impacting Factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers and Impact Analysis
Cybercriminals nowadays are not only attacking the information and data but also hacking industrial controls with and intend to cause destruction. Cybercriminals not only attack the data to simply copy it but hack the data to destroy it or change the data to build distrust. Therefore, many businesses are spending a large sum on security and more importantly authentication of who gets access to the company's resources. Furthermore, businesses are relying on mobile computing applications so that they can provide remote access to their employees is another reason for the growing demand for authentication services.
Multi-factor Authentication is the Key Factor Responsible for Market Growth
In the past decade, the main source of authentication was the traditional password. However, companies are losing entities worth billions because hackers can easily attack the single gateway access to the records. According to the Accenture report, there was an increase in security breaches last year by 11% alone. Therefore, authentication service providers have come up with to reduce these data breaches. Multi-factor authentication provides more than one method for authentication which makes it difficult for the attackers to easily breach the system, it uses password combination with authentication apps such as facial recognition or fingerprint reader. Therefore, as the adoption of cloud services increased, the adoption of multi-factor authorizations also increased, thereby driving the growth of the authentication service market. In addition to multi-factor authorization, authorization services have come up with solutions such as graphical authentication, public key infrastructure, social authentication, one-time authentication and biometric authentication to gain a competitive edge in the market.
Management of virtual servers that increases the data breaches, increasing cost and technical complexity for implementing the authentication solutions, increase response time in higher-order authentication models are some of the restraining factors for the growth of the authentication service market.
Over the years of phishing attacks and breaches due to increased passwords, major technology corporations have learned that the alternative to passwords should be more secure and less cumbersome. The solution to this is biometric authentication and it is becoming popular as many people nowadays have smartphones with a fingerprint scanner. Furthermore, many organizations are working on storing data on a separate decentralized server rather than a centralized location to reduce breaches. For instance, Microsoft is working on decentralizing a blockchain-based authentication system and allowing the usage of one username across all services and platforms. As the cyber security threats are increasing, so is the competitiveness between the key players is increasing. More and more competitors are trying to come up with innovations and solutions, to gain a competitive advantage in the authentication service market. With the help of research and development, mergers and acquisitions, strategic partnerships major key players are trying to gain a larger footprint in the market. For instance, IBM developed a self-aware token primarily designed to record events of online transactions and has filed a patent with U.S. Trademark and Patents in January 2020.
Key Benefits of the Report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the authentication service industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the authentication service market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the authentication service market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed authentication service market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years
Questions Answered in the Authentication Service Market Research Report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the authentication service market?
- What are the detailed impacts of COVID-19 on the market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the authentication service market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the authentication service market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Authentication Service Market Report Highlights
By Authentication Type
By Tokenization Type
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
Tata Communications Ltd, Verizon Communications Inc., IBM Corportion, Wipro Limited, Trustwave Holdings, Inc, Microsoft Corporation, Bell Canada, GCI Channel Solutions, Entrust Datacard, Google LLC