The automotive recliner is a type of seat that reclines backward upon leaning and raises the footrest through a lever. It is a key component in the automotive seating system which provides comfort for the neck, spine, and foot while driving so the driver can be in a relaxed & comfortable position. Moreover, an automotive seat recliner consists of a seat cushion & seatback with upper & lower arm mounted and spiral springs to exercise radial forces on a rotatable cam for locking & unlocking operation. The seatback is pivotally connected to the seat base is by a locking fixture that selectively locks and releases the seat back from the seat base. A return spring biases the seatback in the upright position and a handle in the area of the pivot point allows the passenger to selectively control whether the seatback is locked or released. Furthermore, the return spring is mounted on the outside of the seatback & seat base and is in the form of a coiled spring. A stop element is there which connects the handle to the locking fixture. High-quality chromium steel or magnesium are mostly used as materials to manufacture automotive seat recliners since they can withstand high impact forces during accidents which can otherwise harm the occupant.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 pandemic has affected the global economy in various countries since the lockdown has caused travel bans and business shutdowns. All automobile manufacturing has been halted due to the lockdown. Thus, there has been a disruption in the demand for automotive seats directly affecting the market globally, Also, due to lockdown and social distancing norms led to the unavailability of labor for manufacturing the product. Moreover, the raw material required for the manufacturing of automotive seats were not available due to the pandemic which delayed the operation. Since the recliner seats are mostly found in luxury vehicles but due to COVID-19, the disposable income of consumers fell which affected the demand for luxury vehicles. Furthermore, the automobile seat recliner market is an evolving sector, but its growth was affected by the pandemic which is expected to recover post-pandemic.
Top Impacting Factors
High vehicle production, demand for luxury vehicles, and low penetration of cars in emerging countries are expected to drive the growth of the market.
However, the high cost of seat recliners and the weight of the vehicles can affect growth.
Moreover, demand for advanced technology, better comfort in vehicles, and intelligent vehicle seat that monitors the driver’s stress level can act as opportunities for the growth of the market.
Development in automotive seats
- The high demand for safety and security of passengers has led to the development of seats for monitoring driver’s stress levels. Since this would help to understand if the driver is fit for driving in the particular situation or is having any medical issues or not.
- For instance, the major player in this segment is Faurecia, the company’s health monitoring seat The Active Wellness is a technologically innovative seat recliner in the market which detects a person’s health conditions such as respiration, heart rate and replies with a solution such as energizing massage, warming or cooling according to the need. The Active Wellness seat is the winner of the iF design award in 2017. Moreover, The Active Wellness 2.0 seat also collects and analyses biometric data and remembers the driver’s preference, allowing it to guess how the driver will be most comfortable based on his physical condition, time of day, traveling conditions. Then the seat system applies countermeasures about detected motion sickness, stress, discomfort, drowsiness, and readiness to operate controls. Thus, the development in advanced technology of monitoring of driver’s health can act as an opportunity for growth of global automotive seat recliners market.
Demand for advanced technology
- The disposable income of consumers increases the demand for advanced technology in the vehicle. Moreover, the demand for better comfort while traveling drive the need for better quality seats.
- For instance, Ford Motor developed a car seat known as Max Recline Seats that can recline as a flatbed for a quick nap in 2020. Ford Motor has got the patent for reclining seats it offers in the F-150 pickup trucks. The exclusive Max Recline Seats promises to offer business-class comfort in F-150. The seats roll back completely to nearly 180 degrees to offer a flat-bed experience for occupants. The mechanism lifts the back half of the seat bottom 3.5 inches to make a flat surface to support the lower back. The upper seatback can also be moved forward for neck support. Thus, all these developments can act as opportunities for the growth of the global automotive seat recliners market.
Growth of cars sales in emerging countries
- In emerging countries such as China, India, Brazil, Korea, and parts of Eastern Europe, the automotive industry is expected to grow.
- For instance, in the U.S., for every 1000 people, there are approximately 800 cars. However, in emerging countries such as China, the ratio comes down to 105 cars for 1000 people, and in India, it drastically comes down to 20 cars for every 1000 people. Thus, it is estimated that two-thirds of global consumer spending comes from rapidly growing markets, such as India, China, Brazil, and South Korea due to the increase in disposable income of the people in these countries. Therefore, developing countries are expected to push the automobile market which is expected to drive the growth of the global automotive seat recliners market.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global automotive seat recliners market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with the challenges of the global automotive seat recliners market.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global automotive seat recliners market growth scenario.
- The report provides detailed global automotive seat recliners market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Report
- Which are the leading market players active in the global automotive seat recliners market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the market?
- What current trends would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the global automotive seat recliners market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Automotive Seat Recliners Market Report Highlights
By Vehicle Type
By Sales Channel
Key Market Players
TS TECH CO. LTD., SHIROKI Corporation, IFB Automotive Private Limited, Faurecia, Atwood Mobile Products, Fisher & Company, Johnson Controls Inc, Toyota Motor Corporation, Lear Corporation