Bacteriostatic water is a type of sterile water that contains 0.9% of benzyl alcohol . The primary function of bacteriostatic water is to help in dissolution of powdered medications. Thus, it mainly helps in the preparation of injections for intravenous, subcutaneous, and intramuscular administration routes. Bacteriostatic water is available in generic forms under the same name. It can suppress and stop the growth of potentially contaminating bacteria and comes in multiple-dose plastic flip-top 30mL vials. The semi-rigid vial of bacteriostatic water is often made using specially formulated polyolefin, which is a copolymer of propylene and ethylene.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that first emerged in late December in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China. The virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is highly infectious and is transmitted from person to person. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries across the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a pandemic on March 11, 2020.
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with the governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from vaccines development to medicine supply chain planning. Approximately 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a significant increase in demand for the treatment of COVID-19. Such increased demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are experience a shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected to witness significant growth in the future, owing to the demand for COVID-19 vaccines and treatment drugs.
The COVID-19 has disrupted the supply chain of the raw material required to manufacture bacteriostatic water in many countries. Furthermore, the pharmaceuticals market growth is also declining as the drug manufacturers have slowed down their production because of the pandemic. This, is expected to significantly impact the bacteriostatic water for injection market.
Top Impacting Factors
Bacteriostatic water containers can be reentered multiple times with sterile needles to dissolve medications, unlike the other single-use sterile water containers. This factor has contributed to the expansion of the global bacteriostatic water for the injection market.
Bacteriostatic water containing benzyl alcohol, is not only a sterile solution but can also inhibit the growth of contaminating bacteria; this has also contributed to the growth of the bacteriostatic water for injection market.
Furthermore, bacteriostatic water can be used to prepare injections that will be administered through various routes such as intravenous, subcutaneous, and intramuscular routes. With such diverse applications, the bacteriostatic water for injection market has grown rapidly in the recent years.
There are some side effects of bacteriostatic water that may be related to the presence of particulate matter in the medication that is being dissolved. These side effects can cause a fever and infections in the patient. This factor is restraining the market growth of the bacteriostatic water for injection.
Key Market Trends
Bacteriostatic water is not used for neonatal medications as it can cause benzyl alcohol toxicity and blood pressure changes. Neonatal medications are the drugs used for newborns during the first four weeks after birth.
North America is expected to lead the global market of bacteriostatic for injection water for market owing to the increased number of patients in hospitals require drug administration through intravenous, subcutaneous, and intramuscular routes.
Asia-Pacific is anticipated to have a significant market share in the bacteriostatic water for injection market. This can be attributed to the presence of key market players in this region, as well as an increase in healthcare professionals’ awareness of the proper use of bacteriostatic water .
Key players of the bacteriostatic water for injection market are focused on expanding their reach and increasing their customer base, that is why they are focusing on establishing bacteriostatic water manufacturing facilities in the developing countries.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the bacteriostatic water for injection industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the bacteriostatic water for injection market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the growth scenario of the bacteriostatic water for injection market.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed analysis depending on competitive intensity and the competition that will take shape in the coming years.
Questions Answered in the Bacteriostatic Water for Injection Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the bacteriostatic water for injection market?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow during the forecast period?
- What are the adoption trends for bacteriostatic water for injection in emerging economies and established economies across the world?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What are the future projections that would help in taking further strategic steps in the market?
- What are the impacts of COVID-19 on the industry?
- What is bacteriostatic water for injection?
- What are the current and predicted trends of the market?
Bacteriostatic Water for Injection Market Report Highlights
By Distribution Channel
By End User
Key Market Players
Procter and Gamble, Pfizer, Inc., Sanofi, Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC, Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC, Merck KGaA, Johnson and Johnson Services, Inc., Abbott Laboratories, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Novartis AG