Biocompatible materials are nonviable materials used in medical devices that interact with biological systems. These materials are made from metals, synthetic polymers, natural polymers, and ceramics. Biocompatible materials are widely used for various applications such as contact lenses, heart valves, intraocular lenses, vascular grafts, artificial joints, and others. The basic materials used for the manufacturing of biocompatible materials are silicone, PMMA, Teflon & Dacron, stainless steel, titanium & its alloys, and polyurethane. Some of the features of biocompatible materials that help to increase its demand for various applications are non-carcinogenicity, non-toxic, and non-immunogenic nature along with high corrosion resistance.
Biocompatible materials are used in several implants, such as joints, sutures, bone plates, and dental implants. These materials either replace or restore the injured or destroyed tissues or organs. Biocompatible materials used for implants should have long-term biocompatibility with the host without being rejected and must not elicit any undesirable effects in the host. Furthermore, they are used for various applications in the medical field, such as in surgical & medical instruments, surgical appliance & supplies, dental products & materials, and drug delivery. Biocompatible materials help improve the quality of life and save millions of lives.
With development in the field of biomedical technologies, the biocompatible materials market is expected to gain significant traction during the forecast period. Further, increase in demand from pharmaceutical excipients, drug delivery systems, cosmetic implants, tissue engineering, and wound dressing are expected to propel the growth of biocompatible materials market.
There is a growing demand for the natural polymers due to widening applications in drug delivery systems and cosmetic areas. Furthermore, metallic biocompatible materials are also preferred, owing to its high resistance toward body fluid effects, high strength, and low density. Moreover metallic biomaterials are widely used for manufacturing of surgical instruments and implants, primarily due to its biocompatibility and the natural tendency of bones to adhere to metals, thereby eliminating the need for additional coatings.
Medical devices and instruments are in a constant state of evolution and are in sync with the ongoing trends in the medical field. Further, the advancements in technology are driving investments for the development of new materials. Key players are focusing on the development of high-quality & high-performance, cost-effective solutions for a wide range of applications. However, biocompatible materials must follow standards of biocompatibility to ensure their safe use, and must be tested according to various regulatory and industry standards, which might hinder the growth of biocompatible materials market.
The biocompatible materials market is segmented based on material type, application, and region. Based on material type, the market is divided into synthetic polymer, natural polymer, metals, and ceramics. Depending on application, it is categorized into surgical & medical instruments, surgical appliances & supplies, dental product & materials, drug delivery, diagnostic product, ophthalmic goods, and electromedical equipment. Region wise, it is been analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Some of the big market participants identified across the value chain of the global biocompatible materials market, they are Stratasys Ltd., Ensinger GmbH, AdvanSource, Biomaterials Corporation, Sanofi S.A, Ashland Inc., Baxter International Inc., ASM International, Dupont, and Biomaterial LLC.
KEY BENEFITS FOR STAKEHOLDERS
- This report provides a detailed quantitative analysis of the current biocompatible materials market trends and biocompatible materials market forecast estimations from 2018 to 2025, which assists to identify the prevailing biocompatible materials market opportunities.
- An in-depth market analysis includes study of various regions is anticipated to provide a detailed understanding of the current trends to enable stakeholders formulate region-specific plans.
- A comprehensive analysis of the factors that drive and restrain the growth of the global biocompatible materials market is provided.
- Region-wise and country-wise biocompatible materials market conditions are comprehensively analyzed in this report.
- The projections in this report are made by analyzing the current biocompatible materials market trends and future market potential from 2018 to 2025 in terms of value.
- An extensive analysis of various regions provides insights that are expected to allow companies to strategically plan their business moves.
- Key market players within the biocompatible materials market are profiled in this report and their strategies are analyzed thoroughly, which helps in understanding competitive outlook of global biocompatible materials market.
KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
By Materials Type
- Synthetic Polymers
- Natural Polymers
- Surgical & Medical Instruments
- Surgical Appliances & Supplies
- Dental Products & Materials
- Drug Delivery
- Diagnostic Product
- Ophthalmic Goods
- Electromedical Equipment
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA