Breast cancer is a type of cancer that starts in the breast when cells begin to multiply uncontrollably. Breast cancer cells usually form a tumor that is visible on an x-ray or can be felt as a lump. Breast reconstruction is a surgical operation that restores shape of breast after mastectomy (surgery that removes breast to treat or prevent breast cancer) or any procedure used to correct congenital deformities. Breast reconstruction not only enhances the aesthetic appeal of women but restores the emotional and social well-being of women.
As per the American Society of Plastic Surgeons in 2018, breast reconstruction is considered as one of the top five preferred cosmetic surgical procedures in U.S. Thus, the high number of these surgical procedures have resulted in increased demand for products associated with them, such as implants and tissue expanders expanding their market as well. As per the data published in 2016, by American Cancer Society, 61.0% of women with stage I or stage II breast cancer undergo lumpectomy or breast-conserving surgery, and around 36.0% of them choose for mastectomy.
COVID – 19 scenario analysis:
- Due to the COVID – 19 outbreak, majority of healthcare, pharmaceutical and biotechnology organizations have concentrated on diagnostics kits, safety wearables (PPE kits, face shields, masks) and treatment therapies and medication against Novel coronavirus
- R&D labs are also focusing on finding a breakthrough vaccine against Novel coronavirus
- In addition, the medical professionals are engaged in providing COVID-19 related services, as a result, other healthcare segments have to face negligence
- Similar has been the story for Breast cancer patients in U.S. where diagnosis and treatment of 325 thousand cases were projected in year 2020
- But due to COVID-19 pandemic, the screening, diagnosis and surgical procedures like mastectomy, lumpectomy, breast reconstruction have been strictly restricted or put on hold
- These delays and closures will impact the cancer patients as well as breast reconstruction market growth
- While in Britain, new patients are being identified on the basis of onset symptoms and results and follow-ups are conducted via telephonic conversation or virtual communications
- Multi-disciplinary meetings are being conducted via video calls and these new age practices are proving to be beneficial upto some extent
Top impacting factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers and Impact Analysis
Rising trends and concerns regarding physical appearance is an important factor contributing to the market growth. According to a study by National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) in 2016, stated that breast reconstruction after mastectomy also boosts women’s self-esteem, supports them psychologically along with better physical appearance. As a result, high demand for these surgical procedures have enhanced growth of these products.
Increasing breast cancer prevalence and incidences with consequential increase in mastectomy, increasing risk for cancer due to increased hormone levels of estrogen and progesterone, growing awareness due to availability of breast restoration options is leading to greater number of women opting for reconstruction procedures. Further, technological improvements in the design and functioning of innovative devices resulting in better comfort and safety of the breast reconstruction procedures, availability of number of skilled plastic surgeons should further enhance industry demand. As per research by American Society of Plastic Surgeons in the year 2017, around 5.8 million reconstruction procedures are performed in U.S. every year. Out of which, almost 102,200 breast reconstruction procedures were performed in 2014, that is 7.0% more from the previous year.
However, high costs of surgeries and complications which include side effects of surgical procedures, changes in sensation of nipple and breast, scar formation, and often, the rupture with deflation of saline-filled implants related with breast reconstructions have a restraining effect on the growth of the breast reconstruction market. These complications are associated with Acellular Dermal Matrices (ADMs) as Hematoma, skin necrosis and seroma are the commonly reported complications post-ADM breast reconstruction surgeries.
There also have been product recalls by various companies. For example, in December 2018, Allergan announced its suspension of the sales of textured tissue expanders and breast implants in Europe. The recall was due to the expiration of the company's CE Mark for these products. Such incidents have negative impact on market growth.
Rising number of breast cancer patients
Breast cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer deaths among women. At least 1 in 4 women diagnosed with cancer, has breast cancer, and such an alarming rise has triggered the need for effective treatment. Continuously increasing prevalence of the breast cancer across the globe have surged the demand for the breast reconstruction surgeries. The increasing numbers of genetic diseases in women along with increasing healthcare spending and governmental policies support fosters the breast reconstruction market growth. According to American Cancer Society, around 1.7 million new cancer cases are predicted to be diagnosed by 2018 and approximately over 600,000 Americans are expecting fatality due to cancer in 2018. Increasing expenditure in R&D activities has boosted the growth of the breast reconstruction market. Cancer Research UK has spent $ 518 million on cancer research across the country to accelerate cancer surviving rate by 75% by 2034. The organization aims to increase upto 2.6% of GDP spending on cancer research by 2023. Further, higher per capita income of the people, favorable reimbursement policies, and increasing awareness about availability of treatment have fueled the growth of breast reconstruction market.
Innovations and availability of various techniques proving beneficial
There has been evolution in Breast reconstruction surgeries over a period of time have and patient has more options to select from. Thus, need for improved benefits and safety for these procedure has increased. Technological advancements are likely to incur revolutionary improvements in terms of better results for breast reconstruction surgeries. The combined use of advanced imaging technologies in combination with ADMs, is simplifying the procedure. Innovations that are rendered to influence the breast reconstruction markets include 3D printing, which is currently used to produce soft absorbable shells with silicon filling, to integrate with the specific medical requirements of patients. Increasing applications of silicone and saline breast implants, ADMs, and tissue expanders are expected to remain a prominent trend in the breast reconstruction space in the coming years.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global breast reconstruction industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global breast reconstruction market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the Breast Reconstruction Market research report:
- Who are the leading market players active in the breast reconstruction market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that will help in taking further strategic steps?
Breast Reconstruction Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
POLYTECH Health and Aesthetics GmbH, Silimed, Sientra Inc., Groupe Sebbin SAS., GC Aesthetics, Ideal Implant Inc., Laboratoires Arion, Guangzhou Wanhe Plastic Materials Co. Ltd., CEREPLAS, Mentor Worldwide LLC, Shanghai Kangning Medical Device Co. Ltd., Allergan