Bulbospinal muscular atrophy, also referred as Kennedy disease, is a disorder that affects the specific nerve cells in the brain that controls muscle movement. These nerve cells originate in the spinal cord and the part of the brain that is connected to the spinal cord. It is an X-linked autosomal recessive progressive neurological condition that causes the proximal and bulbar muscles to weaken. The illness is caused by the loss of nerve cells in the brain stem and spinal cord, which causes impulses from the brain to muscles to stop working. Bulbospinal muscular atrophy affects patients' ability to speak, stand, walk, and regulate their head movements. In severe condition, patients may have difficulty in swallowing and breathing. This condition primarily affects men and does not affect women, who are protected by their low testosterone levels in the body, which accounts for the condition's sex-limited inheritance pattern.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected witness a significant growth in the future, owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the bulbospinal muscular atrophy drugs market.
Top Impacting Factors
Rise in requirement for treatment, rise in R&D activities to develop novel treatment for bulbospinal muscular atrophy, initiatives undertaken by various public as well as government & nongovernment organizations to create awareness regarding bulbospinal muscular atrophy are some factors which boost the market growth.
According to National Organization for Rare Disorders, bulbospinal muscular atrophy or Kennedy disease is a rare type of disorder and it affects 1 in 350,000 males and rarely seen in females. Hence, increase in the number of patients suffering from bulbospinal muscular atrophy boosts the market growth.
In addition, increase in healthcare expenditure, collaborations & partnerships between key players to facilitate drug development, rise in R&D to improve quality of drugs, launches of novel developed drug in market are some factors that contribute toward the bulbospinal muscular atrophy drugs market. .
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
In August 2018, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited developed Leuprorelin, a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist, for the treatment of bulbospinal muscular atrophy. If approved, this drug will provide a potential treatment for patients with bulbospinal muscular atrophy.
Increase in Number of Clinical Trials for Drug
In April 2019, Novartis AG developed BVS857, a novel drug for the treatment of bulbospinal muscular atrophy, currently ongoing in phase ll clinical trial. If approved, this novel drug will provide a potential treatment for patients with bulbospinal muscular atrophy and help in improving their life. Hence, increase in number of clinical trials for drug will further boost the market growth.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the bulbospinal muscular atrophy drugs industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Bulbospinal Muscular Atrophy Drugs Market Report
- Which are the leading players active in the bulbospinal muscular atrophy drugs market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is " bulbospinal muscular atrophy market"?
- What is " bulbospinal muscular atrophy drugs market " prediction in the future?
- Who are the leading global players in the " bulbospinal muscular atrophy drugs market"?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the key benefits of the "bulbospinal muscular atrophy drugs market” report?
Bulbospinal Muscular Atrophy Drugs Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
Ionis Pharmaceuticals Inc., Pfizer Inc., Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc., Novo Nordisk A/S, Salarius Pharmaceuticals Inc., Novartis AG, Leadiant Biosciences Inc., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, Abbott