Cancer genome sequencing refers to a method used to identify the complete DNA or RNA sequence of cancer cells based on the sequencing of a single, homogeneous or heterogeneous group of tumor cells. It is a laboratory technique that characterizes DNA or RNA sequences of primary tumor tissue, the tumor micro environment (such as stromal / fibroblast cells), adjacent or distal normal tissue, or metastatic tumor sites. This technique generates information related to identification of nucleotide bases (DNA or RNA), mutation status, copy number and sequence variants, as well as structural variations including fusion genes and chromosomal translocations. This technique has proved to be a breakthrough in the fight against cancer as it assists in individualization of treatment. Development of new methods and exponential decrease in genome sequencing cost are fueling the market growth. Global cancer genome sequencing market is expected grow with a healthy CAGR due to technological advances and entry of new market players. Agilent Technologies, GE Healthcare Life Sciences, Johnson & Johnson, LI-COR Biosciences (Lincoln, NE), Abbott Laboratories, Beckman Coulter (Fullerton, CA), Bayer Corporation, Hamilton Thorne Biosciences, Integrated DNA Technologies, Microchip Biotechnologies, Myriad Genetics, Commonwealth Biotechnologies, ZS Genetics, and Pacific Biosciences are some of the key players of this market.
The global cancer genome sequencing market is segmented on the basis of technology and geography. The currently technologies used include second generation and third generation platforms. Second generation technology platforms include SOLiD sequencing (by ABI), Pyro-sequencing (by Roche) and Bridge amplification sequencing technology (by Illumina). Third generation technology platform includes Single Molecule Real Time (SMRT) sequencing (by Pacific Biosciences), Ion semiconductor sequencing, Nanopore sequencing (by Oxford) and fluorescent resonant energy transfer (FRET) sequencing (by VisiGen biotechnologies). Geographically, the global cancer genome sequencing market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and LAMEA. North America dominates the global cancer genome sequencing market due to availability of advanced technologies and a skilled workforce. This market is driven by whole genome sequencing coupled with bioinformatics based sequencing technologies which provide personalized treatments for cancer.
This report offers the following benefits in particular:
- Pin-point analysis of geographic segments helps to identify opportunities for growth within the global cancer genome sequencing market
- Porter’s Five Forces analysis examines the competitive structure of the global cancer genome sequencing market and would assist market strategists in their decision-making process.
- In-depth coverage of the global cancer genome sequencing market including drivers, restraints and opportunities would help professionals to better understand market behavior
- Detailed study of the strategies of key leaders, partnerships and acquisitions in the global cancer genome sequencing market would be informative for professionals in the corporate sector
KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
The global cancer genome sequencing market is segmented into two broad categories: technology and geography.
MARKET BY TECHNOLOGY
- Second Generation Technology Platforms
- SOLiD sequencing (by ABI)
- Pyro-sequencing (by Roche)
- Bridge amplification sequencing technology (by Illumina)
- Third Generation Technology Platforms
- Single Molecule Real Time (SMRT) sequencing (by Pacific Biosciences)
- Ion semiconductor sequencing.
- Nanopore sequencing (by Oxford)
- fluorescent resonant energy transfer (FRET) sequencing (by VisiGen biotechnologies)
MARKET BY GEOGRAPHY
- North America