Cardiac arrest is a serious medical condition wherein there is abrupt loss of heart function, breathing and consciousness. The condition usually results from an electrical disturbance in the heart that disrupts its pumping action, stopping blood flow to body. This occurs when the demand for oxygen towards heart isn’t sufficient and forces the mortality of heart muscles cells causing a heart attack. Sudden cardiac arrest often occurs with no warning and if not treated immediately, can lead to brain damage and death. There are numerous other reasons causing cardiac arrest like coronary heart disease, cardiomyopathy, some inherited heart conditions, congenital heart disease, heart valve disease, acute myocarditis, Brugada syndrome, long QT syndrome, Diabetes and even excessive drinking and lethargic lifestyle. Among these, the coronary artery disease is the most common cause for sudden cardiac arrest especially among people belonging to 35 years and above age group. The Brugada syndrome and long QT syndrome initiates abnormal heart rate which facilitates a cardiac arrest problem while the cardiomyopathy situation causes heart muscle to develop to abnormal size and causes cardiac arrest problems.
COVID-19 scenario analysis:
- Due to the COVID – 19 outbreak, majority of healthcare, pharmaceutical and biotechnology organizations have concentrated on diagnostics kits, safety wearables (PPE kits, face shields, masks) and treatment therapies and medication against Novel coronavirus
- R&D labs are also focusing on finding a breakthrough vaccine against Novel coronavirus
- In addition, the medical professionals are engaged in providing COVID-19 related services, unavailability if experts to treat patients suffering from cardiac arrests
- As a result, other healthcare segments have to face negligence
- In addition, it has been observed after some research that people with prevalence of cardiac diseases are at higher risk for mortality and morbidity related to COVID-19 compared to the average population
- Recent studies have also revealed that COVID-19 can cause heart injury, even in people without heart abnormalities
- Henceforth, patients and the cardiac arrest treatment industry is facing struggles amid COVID-19 pandemic
- However, the demand for CPR devices amidst COVID-19 pandemic is soaring in order to reduce the risk of myocardial injury, acute respiratory disease, and ventricular arrhythmias which leads to an increase in the risk of cardiac arrest
- COVID-19 can cause these conditions and to minimize their risk healthcare professionals are using cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) devices, thus their demand is rising
Top impacting factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers and Impact Analysis
Rise in cardiovascular diseases, changing lethargic and sedentary lifestyle with desk-bound jobs, increase in the geriatric population and investments in R&D activities related to cardiac diseases are the major driving forces in cardiac arrest treatment market growth. As per the Global Health and Wellness Report published in 2018, in United States approximately 40% of the adult population were diagnosed with a cardiovascular condition which resulted in higher demand for advanced and efficient treatment and upgraded cardiovascular devices to treat the patients fostering the growth of the market throughout.
Investments in R&D activities cardiac arrest treatment is expected to foster the market growth. In March 2017, researchers from the University of Copenhagen concluded that Ibuprofen should not be sold as an OTC (over the counter) drug as it increases the risk of cardiac arrest by 31%. Report published in September 2019 in Nature, researchers from University of Pennsylvania's Abramson Cancer Center used CAR-T cells to treat cardiac fibrosis, disease associated with cardiac arrest. They also explained how the T cell therapy ultimately leads to heart failure. In June 2019, a group of researchers at British Heart Foundation developed a blood test that identifies heart failure prior and a pumping mechanism that could aid in repairing heart damage after cardiac arrest. The increasing number of research activities thus are driving the market. On the contrary, the lack of availability of the healthcare professionals in the developing and under-developed economies and the stringent guideline issued by regulatory authorities are hampering the growth of cardiac arrest treatment market.
Increase in prevalence of cardiac diseases
Cardiovascular diseases hold the first place in cause for death globally than any other disease according to World Health Organization (WHO). In 2016, cardiac diseases caused fatality in an estimated 17.9 million people, highlighting 31% of all global deaths with majority deaths were accounted in developing economies with low- and middle- income category. This can be an opportunity to the cardiac arrest treatment to expand into developing economies.
Cardiac diseases are increasing with rising population and changing lifestyle. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the number of deaths due to cardiac diseases in United States is more than 606,000 on yearly basis. Four out of five CVD deaths are due to heart attacks and strokes. According to the World Journal of Cardiovascular Diseases, more than 7 million deaths are due to the sudden cardiac arrest worldwide every year. This makes the cardiac arrest treatment essential in diagnosis and treatment of cardiac disorders. Thus, the growing cases of heart failures, heart attacks, strokes, and other heart-related conditions are facilitating the cardiac arrest treatment market growth.
Sedentary lifestyle and obesity expected to fuel growth
The sedentary lifestyle is further expected to surge the market. According to World Health Organization (WHO), sedentary lifestyles proves to be fatal for around 5.3 million people every year globally, with minimum 300,000 premature deaths and US$90 billion are spent in directly as healthcare costs to reduce problems caused by obesity and sedentary lifestyle yearly in the U.S. Physical inactivity causes around 2 million deaths every year forcing WHO to issue a warning regarding sedentary lifestyle being among top ten major causes of death and disability around the world. The US Department of Health and Human Service, stated only one in three children are physically active every day in the U.S. Thus, the rising sedentary lifestyle would cause cardiac problems creating opportunities for cardiac arrest market growth.
World Health Organization (WHO) in their report, mentioned the rate of obesity has tripled since 1975 worldwide. In 2016, over 1.9 billion adults belonging to age group 18 years or above were overweight and out of them, over one third of people were obese. These factors increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases significantly and eventually increase the chances of having a cardiac arrest. As a result, problems arising due to obesity would create growth pockets for cardiac arrest treatment market.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global cardiac arrest treatment industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global cardiac arrest treatment market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analysed to highlight the global cardiac arrest treatment market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global cardiac arrest treatment market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the Cardiac Arrest Treatment Market research report:
- Who are the leading market players active in the cardiac arrest treatment market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that will help in taking further strategic steps?
Cardiac Arrest Treatment Market Report Highlights
By Medical devices
By Distribution channels
Key Market Players
Amgen Inc, Pfizer Inc, Novartis AG, Bayer AG, Boston Scientific Corporation., GE Healthcare, Koninklijke Philips N.V, Abbott, Stryker, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company