Cell separation is the process of removing one cell population from another within a biological sample, such as blood or tissue. Different technologies are used to isolate cell populations. These technologies are based on one or more properties unique to the targeted cell type—such as size, density, electric charge, shape, or protein expression—to label those cells for removal. They include fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS), density gradient centrifugation, and magnetic-activated cell sorting (MACS).
Cell separation plays an important role in various applications, including biologics designing & development, therapeutic protein production, in-vitro diagnostics, and other research applications such as capture circulating tumor cells in the blood, conduct molecular analysis of specific cell populations, isolate immune cells from peripheral blood, preparing a sample of blood separated from plasma, separate bacteria from food, study the effects of drug candidates on cell types, isolate white blood cells from tissue, recover mononucleated cells from the blood.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic disturbed the entire supply chain in the majority of industries worldwide. However, the COVID-19 pandemic has created a lucrative opportunity for researchers to study and understand this new infectious virus to develop treatments and diagnostic tools for it. Several pharmaceutical and biotech giants have been conducting rapid and extensive R&D activities to develop novel vaccines, therapies, and testing kits by using stem cells or regenerative medicine. This has significantly boosted the demand for cell separation tools in research applications.
- The governing board of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) approved USD 5 million in funding for peer-reviewed regenerative medicine and stem cell research that could quickly develop treatments for COVID-19. Stem Cell Network (SCN) is providing up to USD 500,000 in funding to support rapid response research that uses a stem cell or regenerative medicine approach for addressing COVID-19.
Top Impacting Factors
Increasing number of patients suffering from cancer and infectious diseases (COVID-19) is the major factor responsible for the growth of this market.
In addition, increasing government funding for cell-based research, growing focus on personalized medicine, and technological advancements are likely to propel the market growth.
Increasing investments in cell biology research and the growing presence of market players in developing countries are the key factors responsible for the high growth of the cell isolation market.
Due to increasing R&D activities in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, the adoption of several advanced equipment and methodologies is expected to increase market growth.
However, cell separation techniques encompass a wide range of costs involving instruments, reagents, kits, sera, and services. The reagents used for specific applications are of high cost and cell separation setup is expensive. These factors are anticipated to hinder the growth of the market during the forecast period.
New product launches to flourish the market
- In May 2019, Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired Brammer Bio with the aim to expand capabilities to support the high growth gene and cell therapy market. Both companies announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Thermo Fisher will acquire Brammer Bio for approximately $1.7 billion in cash. By leveraging their combined capabilities, along with commercial scale and customer relationships, this will strengthen their position as a trusted partner to pharma and biotech to make more life-saving treatments available to patients.
- In October 2018, Merck opened its M Lab Collaboration Center in São Paulo, the new collaboration center to provide support from pre-clinical through full-scale production in a non-GMP environment. In addition, it provides hands-on customer access to Merck’s product portfolio and technical expertise.
- In May 2019, Beckman Coulter launched ClearLLab 10C System.
Surge in usage in chronic diseases
- According to the WHO, cancer is the second leading cause of death globally, and is responsible for an estimated 9.6 million deaths in the year 2018. Globally, about 1 in 6 deaths is due to cancer disease. Approximately 70% of deaths from cancer disease occur in low- and middle-income countries. Therefore, the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and technological advancement and innovation in cell isolation are the key driving factors in the cell isolation market.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the cell separation along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the cell separation market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the cell separation market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed cell separation market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Cell Separation Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the cell separation market?
- What current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is "cell separation "?
- What is "cell separation " market prediction in the future?
- Who are the leading global players in the "cell separation " market?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the key benefits of the "cell separation " market report?
Cell Separation Market Report Highlights
By Product Type
By Cell Type
By End User
Key Market Players
PluriSelect Life Science UG & Co. KG, Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc, Merck KgaA, GE Healthcare, Terumo BCT, Becton Dickinson and Company, Thermo Fisher Scientific, MiltenyiBiotec, STEMCELL Technologies Inc., Beckman Coulter, Inc.