Chagas disease or American trypanosomiasis is a tropical parasitic disease caused by kinetoplastid protozoan parasite called Trypanosoma cruzi, which transmits the infectious disease to humans and animals. The Chagas disease is transmitted by insect vectors known as kissing bugs or Triatominae. It can be passed from the mother to fetus during pregnancy, by blood transfusions, and sometimes through organ transplantation. Early stage symptoms of Chagas disease include fever, headache, and local swelling at the site of the bite and swollen lymph nodes. First visible indication in around 50% people who are bitten by the triatominae bug is purplish inflammation of an eyelid or skin lesion. Moreover, other indications include muscle pain, difficulty in breathing, enlarged lymph glands, swelling, headache, pallor, and abdominal or chest pain. Chagas disease shows two phases of symptoms such as acute phase and chronic phase. In acute phase symptoms are either absent, mild or non-specific. In chronic phase patients suffers from neurological and digestive problem such as enlargement of colon or esophagus. Chagas disease is one of the rare infectious diseases observed across the world. According to the World Health Organization report, as of February 2018, there were around 6—7 million people infected with Chagas disease across the world. The patients with Chagas disease are commonly treated with antiparasitic drugs. Treatment for Chagas disease is targeted on killing the parasite and managing signs and symptoms. During the acute phase of Chagas disease, treatment can be done with benznidazole and nifurtimox medications. Furthermore, a cure is unavailable once it progresses to the chronic phase. However, medications can be offered to people aged below 50, which can help slower the progression of the disease.
Increase in R&D activities for development of novel Chagas disease treatment and approval for new products, rise in the prevalence of Chagas disease due to unhygienic conditions, and increase in the Chagas disease population are the factors that drive the growth of the Chagas disease treatment market during the forecast period. Key players are also expected to enter this market by development of vaccines for Chagas disease. However, supply chain issues with Chagas disease drugs, lack of awareness relating to the Chagas disease treatment, and limited number of approved products in the current market are estimated to restrain the growth of the Chagas disease treatment market during the forecast period.
The Chagas disease treatment market is segmented based on treatment type, drug type, distribution channel, and region. Based on treatment type, the market is bifurcated into antiparasitic treatment, and symptomatic treatment. Based on drug type, the market is segmented into benznidazole, and nifurtimox. Based on distribution channel, the market is divided into hospital pharmacies, online pharmacies, and retail pharmacies. Based on region, it is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Some of the major players operating in the Chagas disease treatment market include Bayer AG (Germany), AstraZeneca (U.K), Daiichi Sankyo Company Ltd (Japan), Eisai Co Ltd (Japan), GlaxoSmithKline Plc. (U.K), KaloBios Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (U.S.), Kancera AB (Sweden), Novartis AG (Switzerland), Laboratorio Elea S.A.C.I.F. y A (Argentina), Oblita Therapeutics BVBA (Belgium), Sanofi Aventis (France), and Grupo Praxis Pharmaceutical SA (Spain).
KEY BENEFITS FOR STAKEHOLDERS
- This report provides a detailed quantitative analysis of the current market trends and market forecast estimations from 2019 to 2026, which assists to identify the prevailing Chagas disease treatment market opportunities.
- An in-depth market analysis includes analysis of various regions and is anticipated to provide a detailed understanding of the current trends to enable stakeholders formulate region-specific plans.
- A comprehensive analysis of the factors that drive and restrain the growth of the global market is provided.
- The projections in this report are made by analyzing the current market trends and future market potential from 2019 to 2026 in terms of value.
- An extensive analysis of various regions provides insights that are expected to allow companies to strategically plan their business moves.
- Key market players within the market are profiled in this report and their strategies are analyzed thoroughly, which helps understand competitive outlook of the global Chagas disease treatment market.
KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
By Treatment Type
- Antiparasitic Treatment
- Symptomatic Treatment
By Drug Type
By Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA