Chia seed is the edible seed obtained from Salvia hispanica, a flowering plant of Lamiaceae (mint) family native to southern Mexico and Guatemala. The chia seeds are mottled colored with black, brown, gray, and white. Chia seeds are obtained from Salvia columbariae native to California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and other states in the U.S. mostly referred to as golden chia. The production of chia seeds in African countries such as Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania has been witnessed in recent times. Chia seeds have a crunchy texture, faint nutty aroma, and are oval with a diameter around 1 mm. The chia plant is grown commercially in America and Australia, whereas Europe is the growing consumer market of chia seeds. They have been used as medicinal and dietary plant species from ancient times in the Mayan and Aztec cultures. Increase in R&D activities has presented the commercial use of chia seed as a functional ingredient in the food & beverage industry.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
- The chia seed market has faced uncertainty due to the transportation restrictions implemented due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic and enforcement of lockdown to restrict movement. The global supply chain has been disrupted due to the export and import bans implemented in various countries leading to changing market dynamics.
- The producers as well as industries utilizing chia seed as an essential ingredient have faced a decline in sales and revenue.
- The shutdown of manufacturing units, shortage of manpower, and hurdles in raw material procurement have impacted the production of chia seed products and caused difficulty in meeting up the consumer demands.
- The distribution channels such as supermarket and retail stores have been shut down to prevent the mass gathering, which has impacted the sales of chia seed products.
- The post-COVID scenario is anticipated to be profitable for the chia seed market due to the inclination of consumers toward healthy functional food, but will present a challenge for the producers to meet up the required demand.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers, and impact analysis
Chia seed and chia oil have gained wide acceptability and commercial significance due to high nutritional value in food & beverage, pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, and cosmetic industries. Chia seeds are referred to as "the seeds of 21st century” and “new gold and super nutrient.” Increase in health consciousness, requirement of functional foods, surge in application of chia seed in medicine & therapeutic purposes, use of chia oil in skincare products, chia seed ingredient for food products, chia seed as a thickening agent, enhanced palatability of chia seed products, commercial production, investment in R&D, the surge in innovation and technology, new product development, health benefits of chia seeds, increasing use in pet foods, advancement in the application of chia seeds, oil extraction, high nutritional value, increasing disease and infection cases, chia seeds as an immunity booster, production of organic chia seeds, gluten-free and vegan source, non-GMO product, expansion in the product line, production of edible film for packaging using chia seeds, weight management properties, culinary use of seeds, and increasing disposable income are the key drivers which lead the growth of global chia seedmarket. However, the alteration and degradation of nutrients on the application of high temperatures, expensive varieties of chia seeds, production of chia plants in limited areas, the allergic effect of chia, availability of alternative products, and government regulations hinders the market growth.
The global chia seed market trends are as follows:
Use of chia seed as a substantial ingredient
Chia seeds are considered to have high nutritional value, and serve as rich source of dietary fiber, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, antioxidants, bioactive, and polyphenolic compounds. They are used for therapeutic purposes due to their anti-inflammatory properties, high dietary fiber content, and antioxidant properties for effect on certain health conditions such as obesity, diabetes mellitus, cancer, cardiovascular disease, cholesterol, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and inflammation.
The food & beverage industry has been using chia seeds in frozen foods, bakery products, beverages, sweets, pasta, sausages, bars, jam, smoothies, sauce, soups, breakfast cereals, yogurt, bread products, and fruit spreads, due to their physiochemical and functional properties as a thickening agent, gel formation, chelating agent, emulsifier, foam enhancer, suspending agent, and rehydration factor. The oil extracted from the chia seeds has high content of omega-3, which has anti-aging properties, Thus, they are widely utilized in cosmetic products.
Key benefits of the report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global chia seed industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the global chia seed market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global chia seed market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions answered in the global chia seed market research report:
- Which are the leading players active in the global chia seed market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
Chia Seed Market Report Highlights
By Industry Vertical
By Distribution Channel
Key Market Players
ChiatritionChia Seeds, Mamma Chia LLC, ChiaBia Slovakia, Truroots Organic Chia Seeds, Sesajal S.A. de CV, Spectrum Organics, TerrasoulSuperfoods, Atrium Innovations Inc., Glanbia Plc., Nutiva Inc., Organic India, Benexia, Bob’s Red Mill Chia Seeds, Navitas Organics, Naturya, NaturkostUbelhoer GmbH & Co., Vega Produce LLC, Chia Corp, Sakata Seed Corporation