Cholesterol is an organic molecule that belongs to the group of steroids and is a type of lipid. It is biosynthesized by all animal cells, and is an essential structural component of animal cell membranes. The significance of cholesterol is the biosynthesis of steroid hormones such as estrogen and testosterone, as well as bile acid and vitamin D. About 80% of cholesterol production occurs in liver and intestines, and the rest comes from dietary sources such as meat, poultry, eggs, fish, and dairy products. Although cholesterol is fundamentally required by the body, more than 240 mg/dl is considered as high cholesterol. A total cholesterol of 200 mg/dl or lower is acceptable, and 200–240 mg/dl is considered borderline high. This elevated level of cholesterol in the blood is termed as hypercholesterolemia. High cholesterol may be a consequence of unhealthy diet, obesity, genetic diseases, or other diseases such as type 2 diabetes and an underactive thyroid.
The global cholesterol lowering drug market is anticipated to grow modestly during the forecast period. Some of the factors anticipated to boost the cholesterol lowering drug market growth are emergence of new drug classes, changes in lifestyles, lack of exercise, and increase in intake of saturated & trans-fat. In addition, increase in smoking and alcohol consumption escalate the risk of high cholesterol, thus driving the market growth. However, severe side effects of statins causing rhabdomyolysis and availability of generic drugs of leading brands are projected to restrain the market growth during the forecast period. On the contrary, lucrative opportunities in emerging economies are expected to provide significant prospects for the manufacturers in industry.
Emergence of more effective therapies such as PCSK9 inhibitors, bempedoic acid, and the upcoming drug by The Medicines Company, inclisiran is anticipated to expand the range of clinical indications. Inclisiran is an upcoming drug, which may enter the market by 2020, and is expected to become the third potent drug after the two PCSK9 inhibitors, Repatha (Amgen) and Praluent (Sanofi/Regeneron). Former CEO of the Medicines Company, Dr. Clive Meanwell indicated that the company is likely to keep cost lower than that of PCSK9 inhibitors to bring the medicine to the masses. Furthermore, inclisiran has significant advantage over the two, for its requirement of only 2 dose per year. For comparison, PCSK9 needs to be dosed every two weeks.
This report segments the cholesterol-lowering drug market based on drug class, disease type, and region. Depending on drug class, the market can be classified as statins, bile acid sequestrants, cholesterol absorption inhibitors, fibric acid derivatives, PCSK9 inhibitors, combination, and others. By disease type, it categorized into hypercholesterolemia, cardiovascular diseases, and hyperlipidemia. Region wise, it is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
The report provides a comprehensive analysis of the key players operating in the global cholesterol lowering drug market players such as AstraZeneca, Merck & Co., Pfizer Inc., Kowa Company, Daiichi Sankyo Company, Limited, AbbVie Inc., Novartis AG, Sanofi S.A., Amgen Inc., and Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS). The other players in the value chain includes Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Bausch Health Companies Inc., Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Aralez Pharmaceuticals, and others.
KEY BENEFITS FOR STAKEHOLDERS
- An in-depth analysis of various regions is anticipated to provide a detailed understanding of the current trends to enable stakeholders formulate region-specific plans.
- A comprehensive analysis of the factors that drive and restrain the growth of the global cholesterol lowering drugs market is provided.
- Region-wise and country-wise market conditions are comprehensively analyzed in this report.
- The projections in this report are made by analyzing the current trends and future market potential from 2019 to 2026 in terms of value.
- An extensive analysis of various regions provides insights that are expected to allow companies to strategically plan their business moves.
- Key market players within the cholesterol lowering drugs market are profiled in this report, and their strategies are analyzed thoroughly, which helps to understand the competitive outlook of global cholesterol lowering drugs market.
KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
By Drug Class
- Bile Acid Sequestrants
- Cholesterol Absorption Inhibitors
- Fibric Acid Derivatives
- PCSK9 Inhibitors
By Disease Type
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA