Coated Paper Market Analysis
Coated paper is coated with a polymer or compound to impart certain attributes to the paper, such as smoothness, surface gloss, weight, or condensed ink absorbency. Several materials, including Bentonite, Kaolinite, talc, and calcium carbonate can be used to coat paper for the high-quality printing required in the packaging industry and in magazines. In addition, coated papers are referred as lightweight coated papers, which are used in decorative pages, inserts, catalogs, and magazines. Printing of these papers is only possible through the process of offset printing. The formulation of coating consists of chemical additives such as polyethylene, resins, and dispersants to protect against ultraviolet radiation or to offer water resistance and wet strength to the paper. This will result in a smooth, uniform finished product with a sleek, professional shine, which will bring out the vibrancy of the artwork.
Key drivers of global coated paper market
Rise in demand for industrial packaging and the advancement of custom grades for various applications are key factors that are expected to boost the growth of global coated paper market in the coming years. In addition, innovations in existing products, including gloss and brightness, are expected to attract a large consume base, which augments the market growth. Demand for coated paper is further bolstered by increase in influence of media advertising such as brochures, newsprints, magazines, and catalogs.
Market scenario: opportunities and challenges
Coated fine paper is made from pulp that has been chemically bleached and contains less mechanical pulp. Application of coated papers includes invitations for printing as well as for decoration purposes, which offers market players with remunerative growth opportunities. Rise in popularity of online and digital platforms has powered the e-commerce industry, which has led to an increase in home delivery services. This has further fueled the need for packaging and labeling solutions, thus driving demand for coated paper. Pervasive digital revolution across manufacturing industries is, however, an obstacle that hinders the development of the coated paper industry. Companies have replaced brochures, catalogs, and handbooks with digital alternatives such as videos and tutorials, thus discouraging paper use.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
Owing to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the global coated paper market is expected to witness a slowdown during the next couple of years. Governments of various countries have implemented lockdown, which has led to shutdown of factories in scores of cities and provinces across the world, thus leading to predictions of a sharp slowdown in the printing industry to e-commerce sector. Declining growth of the e commerce activities is one of the key factors that is likely to negatively impact the growth of coated paper market. Moreover, companies are dealing with missing sales and disrupted supply chains as production activities are shutdown.
Key benefits of the report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global coated paper industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global coated paper market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global coated paper market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the global coated paper market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the coated paper market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Coated Paper Market Report Highlights
By Coating Material
By Finishing Process
Key Market Players
APP (Asia Pulp & Paper), Dunn Paper Company, LectaGroup, Nippon Paper Industries Co., Ltd., South African Pulp and Paper Industries Limited, Stora Enso, UPM, Twin Rivers Paper Company, Verso Corporation, and Svenska CellulosaAktiebolaget SCA
Other Key Market Players
Newpage Corporation, JK paper Ltd., Minerals Technologies Inc.