Collagen dressing is a new technique used to heal various necrotic or partial-thickness injuries along with second-degree burns and skin grafts. Although all wounds cannot be treated by using collagen dressings, a special diagnosis needs to be done to determine if collagen dressings can be done. These dressing procedures are used to increase the building up of human collagen on the site of the wound. Various animal sources are used for the extraction of collagen dressings, which include equine from horse, bovine from cattle, and porcine from pig. This helps in collagen growth at the site of the wound and ultimately speeds up the recovery period. Collagen dressings not only maintain the temperature at the wound site but also help in the production of fibroblast. Additionally, there is also an addition of antimicrobial agent, which helps to limit the spread of the infection that might affect the wound. There are various pore sizes available in collagen sizes, which make it mandatory to use a secondary dressing. Collagen dressings are available in various forms such as powders, gels, pastes, and freeze-dried sheets. These dressings need to be changed every seven days for best results.
COVID-19 scenario analysis:
- Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicines supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs, such as hydroxychloroquine, have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19.
- Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs as many developed countries are short of these drugs. The pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected to witness a significant growth in the future, owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19.
- Attributed to such factors, COVID-19 is expected to have a significant impact on the collagen dressings market.
Top impacting factors: Market scenario analysis, trends, drivers and impact analysis
Upgrades in technology; investment and progressions in R&D activities by manufacturers play an important role in the innovation in therapies and treatments in healthcare facilities. In the past few years, it has been observed that the stages of wound care, such as inflammation, proliferation, and maturation, and its management are growing at a very larger pace. Techniques used in the wound care management are growing on a large scale, which help in the upgrades of new products for skin treatments and collagen dressing. Replacements are being made in traditional dressing techniques and new alternatives are being used, which increase the demand for collagen dressing. These are the major factors that propel the growth of the collagen dressings market.
There has been significant rise in both collagen dressing as well as wound care dressings based on animals that are gaining popularity across the globe. The biological and the functional properties of collagen products help to increase the product demand. There has been increased use of collagen dressings, which are utilized for the matrix of biological tissues along with treatment for wounds. These upgrades are combined with other advances in biomaterial sciences.
On the other hand, the expensive cost of extraction of porcine and bovine along with the complications faced during the process of collecting and storing them are the major challenges faced in the collagen dressings market.
New product launches and acquisitions to boost the market
On January 14th, 2020, ConvaTec introduced ConvaMax to manage highly exuding wounds, including surgical wounds, leg ulcers, and surgical wounds along with some diabetic foot ulcers. On January 24th, 2018, ConvaTec got a clearance of US FDA 510(k) clearance for AQUACEL Ag Advantage antimicrobial dressings. On November 1st, 2018, Mölnlycke launched Mepilex Border Flex dressing to support fewer dressing changes.
Surge in usage in hospital applications
Hospitals, clinics, ASCs, home care settings are the major consumers of the collagen dressing market. Among them, hospitals are the biggest end-users followed by the ASCs and clinics in the market. This growth is observed due to the rise in demand for collagen dressing products. This can be attributed to the rise in need for wound care services and better wound management products for treating complex wounds.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the collagen dressings market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the collagen dressings market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the collagen dressings market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the collagen dressings market.
- The report provides a detailed analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the collagen dressings market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Collagen Dressings Market Report Highlights
By Dressing Type
By End User
Key Market Players
Angelini S.p.a., Covalon Technologies Ltd, BSN Medical, Smith & Nephew, Coloplast Corporation, 3M, DermaRite Industries, LLC, Human BioSciences, Organogenesis Inc., Integra Lifesciences Corporation, Hollister Incorporated, Medline Industries, Inc.