Dental Sterilization Market Statistics, 2032
The global dental sterilization market size was valued at $1.4 billion in 2022, and is projected to reach $2.7 billion by 2032, growing at a CAGR of 6.4% from 2023 to 2032. Growing awareness about the importance of infection control in dental settings is a significant driver. Dental practitioners and patients are increasingly emphasizing the need for sterile instruments to prevent the spread of infections.
In addition, the global increase in dental procedures, including routine check-ups, cosmetic dentistry, and surgical interventions, fuels the demand for dental sterilization products. As the number of dental practices and clinics rises, so does the need for effective sterilization solutions. For instance, according to WHO (2023), it is estimated that oral diseases affect nearly 3.5 billion people. Moreover, the expansion of dental clinics and hospitals, both in developed and developing regions, contributes to the growing demand for sterilization products. The establishment of new healthcare facilities and the modernization of existing ones drive the adoption of state-of-the-art sterilization solutions.
- On the basis of product, the instrument segment dominated the global market in 2022.
- On the basis of end user, the dental clinic segment dominated the global market in 2022 and is anticipated to be the fastest-growing segment.
- The North America region dominated the market in terms of revenue in 2022, however, Asia-Pacific is projected to register the fastest growth during the forecast period.
Dental sterilization is an essential component of dental care that helps to maintain a clean and safe environment while avoiding the spread of infectious diseases between patients. Elimination of all microorganisms, including fungus, viruses, bacteria, and spores, is a necessary step in sterilization. Proper sterilization methods are necessary to maintain asepsis when dental instruments, equipment, and materials come into touch with patients' oral tissues or bodily fluids.
Autoclaving is one of the most common methods used in dental sterilization. Autoclaves use steam under pressure to achieve high temperatures, effectively killing bacteria and spores. In addition, chemical sterilant dental instruments may be sensitive to heat and pressure, and chemical sterilant such as glutaraldehyde or hydrogen peroxide may be used for sterilization. Furthermore, dry heat sterilization involves hot air to sterilize instruments, suitable for heat-resistant items that may be damaged by steam.
In addition, stringent regulations and guidelines set by health authorities and dental associations regarding infection control and sterilization drive the adoption of advanced sterilization technologies, which drive the growth of the market. Furthermore, Ongoing technological advancements in dental sterilization products, such as the development of faster, more efficient, and user-friendly sterilization equipment, contribute to dental sterilization market growth. The incorporation of automation and smart features enhances the overall efficiency of sterilization processes.
Moreover, the rise of dental tourism, where individuals travel to other countries for dental treatments, increases the demand for high-quality sterilization products. Dental facilities catering to international patients often prioritize state-of-the-art sterilization practices to meet global standards. In addition, a shift towards the use of single-use disposable products in dentistry, such as disposable instruments and supplies, is creating opportunities for manufacturers in the dental sterilization product market. This trend reduces the risk of cross-contamination.
However, the high cost of dental sterilization equipment acts as a restraint to the growth of the dental sterilization market size. Cost considerations are significant challenges for dental practices, particularly smaller ones, or those in developing regions. High initial investment and maintenance costs for advanced sterilization equipment may act as a barrier to adoption. In addition, in some regions, there may be a lack of awareness and education regarding the importance of proper sterilization practices. Dental professionals and facilities may not fully understand the implications of inadequate sterilization, leading to suboptimal adoption of sterilization products, which negatively affects the growth during the dental sterilization market forecast.
Furthermore, the dental sterilization product market has significant growth potential in emerging markets where dental care infrastructure is expanding. As economies develop, there is an increased focus on healthcare, including dental services, leading to greater demand for sterilization products. Moreover, the need for cost-efficient and time-saving sterilization solutions drives innovation in the market. Products that offer quick turnaround times, energy efficiency, and ease of use are likely to gain traction among dental practitioners.
In addition, dental professionals and patients alike prioritize safety during dental procedures. The emphasis on patient safety and infection prevention contributes to the adoption of advanced sterilization methods and products, which further drive the growth of the market. Furthermore, the integration of digital technologies, such as tracking and monitoring systems for sterilization processes, presents opportunities for innovation. Smart, connected sterilization equipment that provides real-time data on sterilization cycles, maintenance needs, and compliance could be in demand, which further drives growth of the market.
Moreover, government initiatives aimed at improving healthcare infrastructure and infection control standards provide opportunities for the market. Increased funding and support for dental care facilities may lead to the adoption of state-of-the-art sterilization technologies. In addition, Ongoing research and development in sterilization technologies offer opportunities for market growth. Innovations that improve efficiency, reduce sterilization times, and enhance overall infection control measures are likely to be well-received in the market.
The market is segmented based on product, end user and region. Based on product, the market is classified into instruments and consumables & accessories. Instrument segment further classified into sterilization equipment, cleaning and disinfectant equipment and packaging equipment. In addition, consumables and accessories segment further classified into sterilization packaging accessories, disinfectant, sterilization indicator and lubrication and cleaning solution. As per end user, the market is categorized into hospitals, dental clinic, and dental laboratories. Region wise, the market is studied across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
On the basis of the product, the instrument segment was the largest revenue contributor to the market in 2022 owing to its widespread adoption in healthcare sectors such as dental clinics, hospitals and others. In addition, technological advancements in dental sterilization equipment such as autoclaves with advanced features, rapid sterilization technologies, and integrated monitoring systems appeal to dental professionals seeking efficient and user-friendly solutions, which further drive the growth of the segment.
By End User
On the basis of end users, the dental clinics segment held largest dental sterilization market share in 2022 and is expected to remain dominant during the forecast period owing to the rise in the number of dental clinics and rise in number of patients visits in dental clinics. There is a growing awareness of the importance of oral health and its impact on overall well-being. People are recognizing the need for regular dental check-ups and preventive care, leading to an increased demand for dental services, which further increases demand for dental sterilization equipment in dental clinics.
On the basis of region, the North America held largest dental sterilization market share in terms of revenue in 2022, owing to an increase in technological advancements, rise in adoption of dental sterilization products and the presence of key market players and their offering strengthens the market position. The region experiences a continuous increase in the number of dental procedures and services offered. This includes routine check-ups, restorative procedures, cosmetic dentistry, and oral surgeries, creating a consistent demand for dental sterilization products. North America has one of the highest healthcare expenditures globally. The willingness to invest in advanced healthcare infrastructure, including dental facilities equipped with state-of-the-art sterilization equipment, supports market growth.
However, the Asia-Pacific region is projected to exhibit the highest CAGR in the dental sterilization market during the forecast period. This growth is attributed to prevalence of dental issues, including cavities, gum diseases, and malocclusions. This prevalence creates a sustained demand for dental services and, consequently, dental sterilization products. In addition, certain countries in the Asia-Pacific region have become hubs for dental tourism, attracting patients from other countries seeking cost-effective and high-quality dental care. This trend contributes to the demand for dental sterilization products in popular dental tourism destinations.
Competitive analysis and profiles of the major players in the dental sterilization industry such as major players that operate in the market include Getinge AG, Steris Healthcare, Tuttnauer, Midmark, Dentspaly Sirona, A-dec, SciCan, Matachana, W&H, and Hu-Friedy Group. key players have adopted strategy such as product approval, expansion, and acquisition to enhance their product portfolio.
Recent Developments in the Dental Sterilization Industry
- In November 2023, W&H is expanding its hygiene portfolio with the addition of a new Lexa Plus Class B sterilizer and a new, technologically advanced Assistina One maintenance device bringing added peace of mind to reprocessing and infection prevention for a dental practice’s workflow.
- In September 2020, Midmark Corp., a leading dental solutions provider, recently announced the launch of its new Sterilizer Data Logger and the release of the updated Midmark M3 Steam Sterilizer. Both bring speed, simplicity, and compliance to instrument processing.
- In November 2020, Matachana launched the S1500 sterilization Series. An innovative line of equipment that completes the range of bulk-capacity steam sterilizers, combining productivity and profitability.
- In February 2022, Midmark announced a new strategic partnership with Bien-Air Dental SA that combines the 2 companies’ dental technology into a simple to use delivery care solution. Midmark and Bien-Air are partnering to integrate Bien-Air’s latest electric handpiece solutions into Midmark’s dental delivery equipment for a complete ecosystem.
- In February 2022, Steris plc signed a definitive agreement to purchase the surgical instrumentation, laparoscopic instrumentation and sterilization container assets from Becton, Dickinson, and Company for $540 million. The acquisition includes V. MuellerTM, Snowden-PencerTM and GenesisTM branded products, which are well-known providers of surgical instruments and sterilization containers to Healthcare Customers. Annual revenue for these businesses collectively for BD’s fiscal year ended September 30, 2023, is projected to be approximately $170 million, with adjusted earnings before interest and taxes of approximately $45 million.
Key Benefits for Stakeholders
- This report provides a quantitative analysis of the market segments, current trends, estimations, and dynamics of the dental sterilization market analysis from 2022 to 2032 to identify the prevailing dental sterilization market opportunity.
- The market research is offered along with information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities.
- Porter's five forces analysis highlights the potency of buyers and suppliers to enable stakeholders make profit-oriented business decisions and strengthen their supplier-buyer network.
- In-depth analysis of the dental sterilization market segmentation assists to determine the prevailing market opportunities.
- Major countries in each region are mapped according to their revenue contribution to the global market.
- Market player positioning facilitates benchmarking and provides a clear understanding of the present position of the market players.
- The report includes the analysis of the regional as well as global dental sterilization market trends, key players, market segments, application areas, and market growth strategies.
Dental Sterilization Market Report Highlights
Market Size By 2032
USD 2.7 billion
CAGR of 6.4%
2022 - 2032
By End Users
Key Market Players
NAKANISHI INC., A-dec, Midmark Corporation, Hu-Friedy Group, Getinge AB, Matachana S.A., Dentspaly Sirona, Tuttnauer Ltd., Steris Corporation, SciCan Inc.
Dental sterilization equipment is fundamental in maintaining the highest standards of infection control in dental practices, contributing to patient safety and the overall success of dental treatments. Dental professionals follow strict protocols and guidelines to ensure the proper use and maintenance of sterilization equipment.
The market is expected to grow in the coming years, owing to an increase in prevalence of dental disorders, surge in dental surgeries, and introduction of new dental sterilization products in the market. However, strict regulatory standards and guidelines govern dental sterilization processes restraints market growth.
Furthermore, North America dominated the dental sterilization market in terms of revenue in 2022 owing to increase in prevalence of dental disorders, presence of major key players in the region and increase in healthcare expenditure. However, Asia-Pacific is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period, owing to availability of domestic market key players, surge in healthcare expenditure and rise in medical tourism in this region.