Dental Tourism Market Research, 2031
The global dental tourism market size was valued at $6.2 billion in 2021, and is projected to reach $21.5 billion by 2031, growing at a CAGR of 13.9% from 2022 to 2031. Dental tourism is a rapidly expanding sector of medical tourism. It primarily concerns people who travel to foreign countries to obtain low-cost dental care frequently while also enjoying the tourism attractions of their trip.
Dental tourism has many benefits, the first of those being the chance to get some complex dental procedures done at lower price rates than in the traveler’s own country. Another upside to the pricing system is its transparency - many clinics give the estimated cost of the treatment upfront. Dental clinics involved in dental tourism can often be more caring & attentive toward foreign customers and provide high quality services, using the best materials. In addition, a high-quality treatment can be obtained at a lower cost in developing countries such as Thailand and Malaysia than in developed countries. Even though treatment costs are low in developing countries, the quality of the procedure is not compromised due to the availability of resources at lower costs. This factor has led to an increase in number of individuals who seek health-care services in these countries.
The accessibility of various destinations is a major factor that impacts dental tourism. However, stringent government restrictions on receiving medical care overseas can hinder the market growth. For instance, according to the World Tourist Organization, the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak caused a reduction in number of travelers by about 73% globally in 2020. Owing to fall in the rate of medical technologies and procedures for travelers from abroad, Covid-19 eventually had an effect on the sector and restricted dental tourism market growth.
The industry players invested a lot on the R&D of smart and unique strategies to sustain their growth in the market. These strategies include product launches, mergers & acquisitions, collaborations, partnerships, and refurbishing of existing technology. In March 2019, Align Technology, Inc. and Benco Dental, a privately held dental distributor in the U.S., announced a distribution agreement for Align Technology, Inc.'s iTero Element Intraoral Scanner, which is designed to assist dentists in a variety of orthodontic and restorative operations with greater precision and viewing capabilities.
The dental tourism market is segmented on the basis of service, provider, and region. By services, the market is fragmented into dental implants, orthodontics, dental cosmetics, and others. By provider, the market is classified into hospitals, dental clinics, and others. By region, the market is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
The key players profiled in this report include Franco-Vietnamese Hospital, Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Ltd., Fortis Healthcare, Clove Dental, Medlife Group,Raffles Medical Group, Oris Dental Centre, Dubai Dental Hospital, Imperial Dental Specialist Center, Liberty Dental Clinic, ThantakIt International Dental Center, and ARC Dental Clinic
The dental tourism market is segmented into Services and Providers.
By service, the dental cosmetics sub-segment dominated the global dental tourism market share in 2021. Owing to the surge in disposable income in emerging countries; the field of cosmetic dentistry has grown. Key corporations in this sector frequently form consolidated relationships and work together to stay one step ahead of competitors. For instance, in March 2019, Align Technology, Inc. and Benco Dental, a U.S.-based privately-owned dental distributor, announced a distribution agreement for Align Technology, Inc.'s iTero Element Intraoral Scanner, which is intended to support dentists in a range of orthodontic and restorative operations with greater precision and viewing capabilities. These are expected to be the major factors that affect the dental tourism market size during the forecast period too.
By provider, the dental clinic sub-segment dominated the global dental tourism market share in 2021. Owing to the people’s preference for speciality clinics for dental implant procedures, the dental clinics segment dominated the market with a significant share. The segment's growth is expected to be aided by the availability of specialized dental equipment and skilled dentists. Dental practices have increased all around the world. The number of independent dentistry clinics is expected to increase in the dental tourism market opportunity.
By region, Asia-Pacific dominated the market in 2021 and is projected to remain the fastest-growing sub-segment during the dental tourism market forecast period due to rise in economic stability and disposable income. Asian countries have dense populations, with a growing geriatric population. These countries are also well-known for their low-cost treatment, making them a popular market for medical tourism. One of the major factors that drives the market growth is increase in the use of cosmetic dental implants. Furthermore, the introduction of novel technologies, such as CAD/CAM-based dental restorations and high awareness about dental procedures are expected to foster market expansion during the forecast period.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Global Dental Tourism Industry
- COVID-19 outbreak had varying degree of negative impact on all segments of medical tourism industry. For instance, elective treatments such as dental treatment and cosmetic treatment suffered a greater impact.
- The unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the global economy caused significant uncertainty in demand for certain medical and industrial products, as well as increased variability in supply chain and manufacturing productivity.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on the dental tourism industry. The COVID-19 pandemic had a negative impact on major dental tourism markets, including popular dental tourism destinations such as India, China, and other emerging countries.
- Furthermore, as a result of the global pandemic, significant travel restrictions, including the suspension of cross-border travel, were imposed, bringing cross-country travel to a halt, and negatively impacting the growth of the dental tourism market.
Key Benefits For Stakeholders
- This report provides a quantitative analysis of the market segments, current trends, estimations, and dynamics of the dental tourism market analysis from 2021 to 2031 to identify the prevailing dental tourism market opportunities.
- The market research is offered along with information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities.
- Porter's five forces analysis highlights the potency of buyers and suppliers to enable stakeholders make profit-oriented business decisions and strengthen their supplier-buyer network.
- In-depth analysis of the dental tourism market segmentation assists to determine the prevailing market opportunities.
- Major countries in each region are mapped according to their revenue contribution to the global market.
- Market player positioning facilitates benchmarking and provides a clear understanding of the present position of the market players.
- The report includes the analysis of the regional as well as global dental tourism market trends, key players, market segments, application areas, and market growth strategies.
Dental Tourism Market Report Highlights
Market Size By 2031
USD 21.5 billion
CAGR of 13.9%
2021 - 2031
Key Market Players
Fortis Healthcare, Imperial Dental Specialist Center, Dubai Dental Hospital, raffles medical group, Oris Dental Centre, Liberty Dental Clinic, Medlife Group, Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Ltd., Franco-Vietnamese Hospital, clove dental
The most important advantage of medical tourism dental implants is the cost-effective treatment. However, cost is not the only advantage of dental tourism. These benefits are what make medical tourism so popular. International patients prefer to travel abroad for dental and medical services as it is more convenient than having them in their home country. It is simple, quick, and reasonably priced, so it is difficult to overlook, which is expected to fuel growth of the market during the forecast period.
However, dental tourism may pose safety and security risks. Long-distance travel may pose risks even in terms of dental health. The dental tourism market growth is expected to be limited due to the difficulty of obtaining a visa to enter some countries, as well as the need to pay for travel, flight, and lodging expenses when obtaining for dental tourism, which could be quite expensive. The global dental tourism market is being driven primarily by rise in cases of dental abnormalities and a growth in preference for cosmetic dentistry around the world. Less expensive treatment and better service in foreign countries, as well as long waiting times in one's own country for dental treatment, may boost market growth in the near future.
Among the analyzed regions, Asia-Pacific is expected to account for the highest revenue in the market by the end of 2031, followed by Europe, North America, and LAMEA. Surge in the economy's stability and disposable income drive the Asia-Pacific dental tourism market growth. Asian countries have dense populations, with an increase in geriatric population. These countries are well-known for their low-cost treatment, making them a popular market for medical tourism. One of the major factors driving the market expansion is the rise in use of cosmetic dental implants.