Disinfectants and cleaning agents play a pivotal role in sanitization and sterilization in the healthcare settings and are key in maintaining optimum levels of safety assurance. The disinfectants are clinical in prevention and control of contamination as it kills microorganisms, bacteria and pathogens. Selection of an appropriate disinfectant is key in ensuring optimum safety against infectious microbes. Surface disinfectants extensively implemented for efficient management of healthcare safety and also in prevention of microbial cross-contamination through pathology testing laboratories, hospital surfaces, and other areas where patients are treated. The transmission of microbes can lead to outbreak of infectious diseases. These agents are also in biologics and pharmaceutical research laboratories wherein human cells and other potentially infectious substances are handled and used for research and development. These cleaning agents are used for cleaning various surfaces in the healthcare facilities and also used for sterilization and disinfection of medical instruments. These agents include chlorine, alcohol, creosote and others implemented for killing pathogens and microorganisms.
COVID – 19 scenario analysis:
- The COVID-19 pandemic has emerged as a humanitarian as well as economic crisis, creating strain on the society and affecting millions of people and businesses.
- Industry closures and people are asked to stay in their homes, which has cause taken a huge toll in terms of money and economic growth.
- Over 4 million people affected globally, with 300 thousand losing their lives due to SARS-CoV-2
- Healthcare organizations are already working in battle mode, preparing new plans to respond growing COVID-19 patients, right from sourcing rapid diagnosing kits to sufficient PPE kits for workers.
- Due to diversion of medical field toward treating COVID-19, the funding to R&D activities related to disinfectants and cleaning agents has been reduced and this segment have to face negligence subsequently causing negative impact on disinfectants and cleaning agents market to a certain extent.
- However, the high demand for disinfectants and cleaning agents owing to preventing contamination due COVID-19 outbreak might foster a breakthrough situation and tremendous growth of the market can be expected.
Top impacting factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers and Impact Analysis
Growth in the volumes of generation of medical and bio hazardous waste due to growth in hospitals, healthcare facilities, biopharmaceuticals firms, biologics research facilities and drug manufacturers is the key driver for growth of this market. Growing prevalence of several diseases and rising number of cases of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) will further ensure optimum growth of disinfectants and cleaning agent's market.
Hospital acquired infections are nosocomial infections that are acquired by the patients usually during their stay at healthcare facilities. Additionally, higher stay duration of patients in the hospitals, rising geriatric population and patient’s immune health are other factors fueling the growth of the disinfectants and cleaning agents market. As a result, the prevention and control of hospital acquired infections would prove beneficial for the growth of disinfectants and cleaning agents market. Moreover, supportive regulatory scenario and supportive initiatives by several government and healthcare regulatory bodies would also stimulate the growth of disinfectants and cleaning agents market.
The growing rate prevalence of several infections like human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis, tuberculosis, human papillomavirus (HPV) and the recent outbreak of coronavirus (SARS-CoV2) would create immense growth opportunities among others for the development of disinfectants and cleaning agents market in the near future. Additionally, the growth in lifestyle diseases worldwide, will serve as a driving factor for the market. As disinfection and sterilization are majorly associated with killing pathogens, bacteria and microorganisms, the demand for disinfectants will peak in order to minimize the ailments caused due to infectious pathogens and improper disinfections.
However, side effects related to use of disinfectants and cleaning agents and numerous adverse incidents related to use of alcohol as a disinfectant may hamper the market growth upto certain extent.
Rising incidences of hospital acquired infection to promote the growth
Owing to rising incidences of hospital acquired infections, increasing demand for efficient management of disinfections and sterilizations in healthcare settings and growing acceptance of central sterile supply department (CSSD) in healthcare settings would foster the market development. These infections include several complications such as hospital-acquired pneumonia, surgical site infections, bloodstream infections and urinary tract infections among others. The U.S. health agency, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) studies stated that hospital-acquired infections affect approximately 1.7 million people and accounts for 99,000 deaths annually in America. Hospitals and other healthcare facilities have been observed promoting and innovating their infection control protocol to reduce the cases of hospital acquired infections. The demand for maintenance of clean, sanitized, sterilized environment has been gaining popularity in the recent times in order to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. These factors are clinical in fuelling the demand for the disinfectants and cleaning agents market in the near future.
Increasing number of hospitals and growing pharmaceutical sector
The number of hospitals, surgical centers, and clinics is rising day by day. In a study conducted regarding the expenditure on healthcare globally was 10.4% of total GDP was spent on healthcare and this number would go on increasing with 10.5% spent in 2020. The rising number of hospitals is majorly seen in developing economies like India and China. This increase in number of hospitals would surge the demand for disinfectants and cleaning agents as they are required for proper surface sterilization and disinfection, thus creating growth avenues for disinfectants and cleaning agents market.
The pharmaceutical sector is experiencing tremendous growth. The sector has grown exponentially from $100 billion in 2017 to $1.2 trillion and is expected to reach $1.5 trillion by 2023 growing at a CAGR of 4-5%. Thus this growing sector will also produce huge amounts of bio hazardous waste and contaminants such as microorganisms, bacteria and pathogens which would need to be sterilized via disinfectants and cleaning agents.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global disinfectants and cleaning agents market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global disinfectants and cleaning agents market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global disinfectants and cleaning agents devices market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global disinfectants and cleaning agents market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the disinfectants and cleaning agents market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the disinfectants and cleaning agents market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Disinfectants and Cleaning Agents Market Report Highlights
By Product Forms
By End User
Key Market Players
Procter, The Clorox Company, 3M Company, Steris, Ecolab, Cantel Medical, Gamble, Diversey, SC Johnson Professional, Whiteley., Metrex Research