Distance measuring equipment (DME) is a transponder-based radio navigation technology which is combination of ground and airborne equipment that measures slant distance between an aircraft and a ground station. It is used by pilots to determine the aircraft's slant distance from the ground station location. DME avionics in aircraft sends a pulse signal to the ground based DME, which responds with an answer pulse signal. The receiver in the aircraft measures the time delay between the sent and received pulses and calculates the slant range distance. Aircraft distance-measuring-equipment (DME) data are used to update position, velocity, and wind measurements from inertial navigation systems (INS) measurements. DME is reliable and very accurate and has been recorded on many research datasets. The principal limitation of the DME is that it is restricted to land-based navigation.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 pandemic has shut down the production of distance measuring equipment attributed to the lockdown in countries worldwide this has hampered the growth of distance measuring equipment from the last few months and is likely to grow in 2021.
- COVID -19 has already affected the sales of distance measuring equipment in the second and third quarter of 2020 and is anticipated to grow in year 2021.
- The major demand for distance measuring equipment was previously noticed from countries including the US Germany Italy UK and China which are negatively affected by the spread of the coronavirus thereby declining the demand for distance measuring equipment.
- Further potential impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is totally based on its cash reserves distance measuring equipment manufacturers can afford a full lockdown only for a few months after which the players have to modify their investment plans. For instance, various players in the market halted their production activities for several weeks to reduce the expenses. Whereas few players also adopted employee lay-offs to sustain during the COVID -19 health crisis.
- Distance measuring equipment manufacturers are expected to focus on protecting their workforce operations and supply chains to respond to ward immediate crisis and find new ways of working after COVID -19 for instance provision of sanitizers maintaining social distancing as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health and safety of the workforce.
Top Impacting Factors
Terminal transponders are installed at an airport which provide service to a minimum height above ground of 12,000 feet and range of 25 nautical miles, low altitude transponders provide service to a minimum height of 18,000 feet and range of 40 nautical miles, and high altitude transponders provide service to a minimum height of 45,000 feet and range of 130 nautical miles. DME may have operational constraints due to line-of-sight blockage, which is projected to hamper the actual performance.
Due to development of global positioning system (GPS), pilots are less relied on DME. Although, when they fly high then DME might be mandatory. Moreover, companies are launching new products with better accuracy, which is projected to boost the market growth. For example, in 2020, Thales, one of the leading players in the market, introduced the DME 500, 'Fifth-Generation DME', which is a radio transponder distance measurement equipment. This is anticipated to provide greater accuracy and guidance for aircraft.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the distance measuring equipment along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the distance measuring equipment market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the distance measuring equipment market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed distance measuring equipment market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years
Distance Measuring Equipment Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
Cobham,, Intelcan Technosystems, Indra,, Blue Quadrant,, ROCKWELL COLLINS,, Thales,, Moog,, Simkits,, AZIMUT JSC,, Systems Interface,