Duane syndrome, also known as Duane retraction syndrome (DRS), is a non-progressive congenital strabismus caused by faulty development of the 6th cranial nerve. It is distinguished by difficulty in rotating one or both eyes outward (abduction) or inward (adduction). In Duane syndrome, the 6th cranial nerve, which controls the lateral rectus muscle (the muscle that moves the eye out towards the ear), does not grow properly. It is unclear why the nerve does not grow. As a result, the problem is not with the eye muscle but with the nerve that regulates it. Miswiring of the 3rd cranial nerve, which normally controls the medial rectus muscle (the muscle that rotates the eye toward the nose), can also be related to the Duane syndrome. As a result, anomalies might be seen in both left and right gaze.
Duane syndrome is frequently distinguished by whether the predominant defect is a reduced ability to turn the affected eye(s) outward (type I), inward (type II), or both (type III). Type I Duane syndrome is the most prevalent type, and affected patients have a head turn to the implicated side and seem esotropic (crossed-eyed) in straight-ahead gaze.
COVID-19 Impact Analysi
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments globally are working to address the COVID-19 issue, right from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges.
Currently, about 115 vaccine samples and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, the implementation of lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic has delayed treatment for Duane syndrome; thereby, having a negative impact on the market. This was attributed to the fact that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many hospitals across the globe were restructured to increase hospital capacity for patients diagnosed with COVID-19. This has led to cancellation of many non-essential services. Moreover, the quality of care toward patients other than COVID-19 has also decreased.
Top Impacting Factors
- Emerging research and advancements for developing efficient and cost-effective treatments and the introduction of novel drugs are expected to drive significant growth in the global Duane syndrome treatment market.
- Furthermore, the increase in the prevalence of type I Duane syndrome cases is anticipated to be a major driving force during the forecast period.
- Additionally, supportive government initiatives, the rise in healthcare expenditure, and the increase in awareness of the Duane syndrome are expected to boost market expansion during the forecast period.
- However, pre-linked genetic abnormalities may hinder the growth of the Duane syndrome treatment market over the forecast period.
New Product Launches to Flourish Duane Syndrome Treatment Market
In January 2020, Quest Diagnostics acquired Blueprint Genetics to enhance its expertise in genetic disorders and rare diseases.
In June 2018, Centogene launched its diagnostic laboratory in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In February 2020, Dante Labs launched an initiative to offer WGS to patients with rare diseases for $299. The service included WGS 30X on Novaseq6000 technology, data interpretation, and personalized therapy on these diseases.
Key Benefits of Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the Duane syndrome treatment market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the Duane syndrome treatment market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the Duane syndrome treatment market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed Duane syndrome treatment market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in Duane Syndrome Treatment Market Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the Duane syndrome treatment market?
- What current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the Duane syndrome treatment market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is Duane syndrome treatment?
- What is Duane syndrome treatment market prediction for the future?
- Who are the leading global players in the market?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the key benefits of the Duane syndrome treatment market report?
Duane Syndrome Treatment Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
Coopersurgical, Inc., Ambry Genetics, Eurofins Scientific, Progenity, Inc., Color Genomics, Inc., Myriad Genetics, Inc., ARUP Laboratories, Baylor Genetics, Health Network Laboratories, Macrogen, Inc., 3billion, Inc., Quest Diagnostics, Inc., Invitae Corp., Preventiongenetics, Fulgent Genetics Inc., Perkin Elmer, Inc., Centogene N.V., Strand Life Sciences, Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings, Opko Health, Inc.