Edoxudine Market Overview 2030
Edoxudine (Edoxudin), an antiviral drug, is a deoxythymidine analog with activity against herpes simplex virus. It is a potent and selective inhibitor of herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2. The obtained product is an antiviral ointment. The activity of edoxudine against herpes simplex virus was first recognized in 1967. It was later recognized to be effective in vivo in a preclinical model of keratitis caused by herpes virus. It was developed by McNeil Pharmaceutical and approved by Health Canada on December 31, 1992.
Edoxudine was used in Europe, in the form of a topical antiviral, for the treatment of human herpes keratitis. Human herpes keratitis is an inflammation of the cornea in the eye caused by herpes simplex virus infection. This infection is a cause of significant morbidity whose incidence is significantly increased in the presence of recurrent infection and it can even produce corneal blindness.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
- Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry is expected to witness a significant growth in the future owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19. This in turn is expected to have a significant impact on the edoxudine market.
- The sudden outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has made an optimistic effect on the global edoxudine market growth. The strong growth of the market due to the COVID-19 is mainly attributed to the increasing focus of the major market players for the treatment development of COVID-19 drugs. For instance, in May 2020, in the virtual screening of the molecules with NSP1, the team described FDA-approved anti-viral drugs such as Remdesivir and Edoxudine as promising as Covid-19 treatment at National Center for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bengaluru. The R&D activities on the potential lead molecules are expected to boost the market and are expected to do so even in the forecast period.
- The structural reposition and development of the drug for screening and repurposing in COVID-19 is anticipated to bring a significant rise in the market during the forecast period.
Top Impacting Factors
- Rise in prevalence of HSV infection, increase in rate of new infections, and continuous mutations in the microorganisms leading to new strains are key factors that are driving the global herpes simplex virus infection treatment market. Increase in transmission of infectious diseases and lack of cleanliness in developing regions further fuel the growth of the edoxudine market.
- Edoxudine is been reported to present cytotoxic effects, some degree of DNA incorporation in human leukemic cells, PHA-stimulated lymphocytes in vitro, and other severe side effects that caused its discontinuation from the market, hence, acting as a restraint in its market growth.
- Rise in burden of HSV encephalitis is anticipated to propel the market in this particular segment. As per the National Organizations for Rare Disorders, the prevalence of acute encephalitis in the U.S. is around 2,000 cases per year, and it includes around 10% of total cases of encephalitis occurring in the U.S.
The global edoxudine market was valued at XXUSD in 2020 and will reach XX USD million by the end of 2028, growing at a CAGR of XX% during.
More than 80% herpes infections are asymptomatic, because of which physicians depend on diagnostic tests for correct diagnosis and treatment. Edoxudine is very effective against herpes infection as it directly targets DNA of viral material. The development in modification of edoxudine can boost its market growth.
Coronavirus infection segment is expected to observe XX% growth rate till 2028. Increase in R&D activities pertaining to coronavirus infection is anticipated to drive the industry revenue. Edoxudine is another clinically proven promising treatment against the infection and tested among few patients. With rise in demand for anti-viral drug therapy for coronavirus infection, the segment is expected to grow at a significant rate over the forecast period.
Using computational biology techniques, the three-member team at NCBS, which is a biological center of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, found that only one in 10,000 screened molecules has the potential to target the protein. In the virtual screening of the molecules with NSP1, the team described FDA-approved anti-viral drugs such as remdesivir and edoxudine as “promising” for COVID-19 treatment.
After the discontinuation of drug from the market the industries have suffered heavy losses, but now technology has made possible to dock the drug in various diseases and its chemical modification can repurpose the drug back in the market. The repurposing of drugs in novel therapies make it ideal for investors to take the interest in the market which boosts the market. The screening of edoxudine for COVID-19 treatment makes opportunity for growth of the edoxudine market during the forecast period.
Key Benefits of Report
- This report presents the detailed analytical depiction of the edoxudine market along with current trends, opportunities, and future estimates for the investment in market.
- The report presents information related to the key drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the edoxudine market.
- The current market is analyzed to emphasize the edoxudine market.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrate the potency of buyers and suppliers in market.
- The report provides detailed analysis of the edoxudine market based on market competition and how it is expected to take shape in the future.
Questions Answered in the Biotechnology Services Market Report
- What is the mechanism of action of edoxudine?
- What are edoxudine products used for?
- What are current trends that will influence the market in upcoming years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- Which are the leading players in the edoxudine market?
- What future projections will help in taking future strategic steps?
- What are the distribution channels of edoxudine market?
- What is the major regional market in edoxudine market?
- What are the key benefits of this edoxudine market report?
Edoxudine Market Report Highlights
By Formulation Type
By Distribution Channel
Key Market Players
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Gilead Sciences Inc., Novartis AG, Maruho Co. Ltd., Merck and Co. Inc., Cipla Inc., Bausch Health Companies Inc., Mylan NV, GlaxoSmithKline Plc, Eli Lilly and Co.