Efavirenz is an anti-HIV drug that slows down the damage to immune system and prevents occurrence of AIDS-related illnesses. It belongs to a family of drugs known as nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, which converts single-stranded viral RNA into a double-stranded DNA. Efavirenz is not a cure for HIV infection but it helps to decrease amount of HIV in the body so that immune system can work better. Moreover, this lowers the chance of getting HIV complications (such as new infections and cancer) and improves quality of life. It is also used in combination with other antiretroviral agents as part of an expanded postexposure prophylaxis regimen to prevent HIV transmission.
COVID-19 scenario analysis
Lockdowns and border closures imposed to stop COVID-19 are impacting both production of antiretroviral medicines and their distribution, potentially leading to increases in their cost and to supply issues. Hence, the efavirenz market has been negatively impacted. According to the United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS (UNAIDS), recent modelling has estimated that a six-month complete disruption in HIV treatment could lead to more than 500,000 additional deaths from AIDS-related illnesses and if services to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV were similarly halted for six months, the estimated increases in new child HIV infections would be 162% in Malawi, 139% in Uganda, 106% in Zimbabwe and 83% in Mozambique. The halt in the production and supply of efavirenz drugs has created crisis in the treatment of HIV infection, therefore, the efavirenz market can experience a significant growth during the forecast period.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers and impact analysis
Prevalence of HIV infection worldwide has led to an increase in demand for effective treatment. For instance, according to the United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS (UNAIDS), there were approximately 38 million people across the globe with HIV/AIDS in 2019. Of these, 36.2 million were adults and 1.8 million were children (<15 years old). It is estimated that 1.7 million individuals worldwide acquired HIV in 2019, marking a 23% decline in new HIV infections since 2010. However, progress on prevention of HIV transmission remains far too slow, with estimated total number of new infections in 2019 more than three times higher than UNAIDS’s 2020 target. This leads to demand of efavirenz drug and consequently the market is expected to experience a significant growth during the forecast period. Moreover, as per the data of (UNAIDS), by the end of 2019, 25.4 million people with HIV (67%) were accessing antiretroviral therapy (ART) globally. It means 12.6 million people are still waiting. HIV treatment access is key to the global effort to end AIDS as a public health threat. To eradicate HIV globally, there will be surge in production or manufacture of antiviral drugs, hence this propels growth of the efavirenz market.
New product launches to flourish the market
New products that contain improved capabilities have been launched by leading market players. In March 2018, global pharmaceutical company, Mylan announced launch of new HIV treatment symfi lo (efavirenz, lamivudine, and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate) 400 mg/300 and mg/300 mg tablets, which are taken once-daily, a single-tablet regimen (STR) and is indicated as a complete regimen for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection in adult and pediatric patients weighing at least 35 kg.
Key benefits of the report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global efavirenz market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the efavirenz market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the efavirenz market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the efavirenz market.
- The report provides a detailed market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the efavirenz market report
- Which are the leading players active in the efavirenz market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Efavirenz Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
Aurobindo Pharma, Macleods Pharmaceuticals, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Mylan, Teva, Hetero, Strides Pharma, Gilead Sciences., Cipla