Electrochemical Gas Sensor Market Outlook – 2027
Electrochemical gas sensor is a gas detector that oxidizes or reduces target gas at an electrode and measure concentration of target gas by measuring resulting current. Electrochemical gas sensors monitor toxic, non-toxic, flammable gases such as hydrogen sulphide, carbon monoxide as a measurement of critical safety with high sensitivity toward humidity and temperature.
Electrochemical gas sensors are popularly used in biogas plants, power plants, and chemical industries to detect presence of toxic gases in hazardous environments as they offer excellent accuracy, repeatability, and selectivity to a particular gas type in ppm (parts-per-million) range. These are used in mining industries, offshore oil & gas exploration to achieve safer working environment as they feature rugged nature, linear output, low power requirements, high resolution and does not get poisoned or affected by other harmful gases.
Effective electrochemical gas sensors are used for clinical analysis in patient monitoring system, implantable glucose sensors in order to expand diagnostic capabilities as they are less expensive than other gas detection technologies. High advancements in micro-fabrication methodology and miniaturization of gas detection circuitry imply that the electrochemical gas sensor market share would grow at steady pace in coming years.
The global electrochemical gas sensor market is segmented on the basis of type, gas type, industry vertical, and regions. Based on type, the electrochemical gas sensor market is divided into potentiometric sensors, amperometric sensors, and conductometric sensors. In terms of gas type, the market is categorized into oxygen, carbon monoxide, ammonia, chlorine, methane, hydrogen sulphide, volatile organic compound, and others.
On the basis of industry vertical, the electrochemical gas sensor market is divided into chemical, oil & gas, mining, industrial, food & beverages, automotive, healthcare, and others. Geographically, the market is analyzed across several regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa (LAMEA).
Top Impacting Factors
Rise in adoption of solid-state sensor module, owing to rise in focus to prevent explosion in hazardous zones of biogas plants, mining, chemical industries, and offshore oil & gas production plants through implicit monitoring of presence of toxic, combustible gases primarily drives electrochemical gas sensor market growth. However, short life span and limited temperature range of electrochemical gas sensors, owing to high sensitivity to temperature restrains the market growth.
On the other hand, proliferation of use of electrochemical gas sensors in self-monitoring blood glucose meter, incubators, critical care units, precise printing, and processing technology as well as for intravascular and subcutaneous applications further boosts the electrochemical gas sensor market revenue. Stringent government regulations to control degrading environmental pollution levels and huge investments in R&D are anticipated to present new pathways to electrochemical gas sensor industry.
New Product Launches to Flourish the Market
Global key electrochemical gas sensor market players adopt necessary steps to facilitate high performance of electrochemical gas sensors by incorporating industry-standard technology to bring consistent toxic gas sensing to challenging and remote locations.
In February 2020, Membrapor AG, global source of high quality sensors for toxic gases, launched a NO2 electrochemical sensor without O3 cross-sensitivity. It operates within temperature range of -40 to 500C. This new NO2 sensor is equipped with a filter to filter O3 and is designed for highly selective measurements of NO2 in parts per billion (ppb) range. The catalytic nature of filtering enables reliable, selective measurement with operation life of 2yrs.
Surge in Use of Automotive and Industrial Applications
High performance electrochemical gas sensors are used to determine global pollution index of atmospheric air and control increasingly degrading outdoor pollution levels as well as indoor air quality. These gas sensors are used to control combustion mixture in car engines and increase fuel efficiency with a view to lessen risks towards human health and damage of environment.
In addition, electrochemical gas sensors are used in HVAC systems in rising commercial building automation, smart city projects to facilitate intelligent ventilation control as they decline the risk of harmful gases through timely corrective action and early detection. CO2 gas sensors are used in food and beverage industry to enable detection of spoilage of food in production and storage area of processing plants. In addition to these, it is used in wastewater treatment plants especially in sludge digester tanks to monitor and detect leak of extremely flammable biogas including methane, ammonia, and hydrogen sulphide.
Key Benefits of the Stakeholders
- The study gives an analytical overview of electrochemical gas sensor market forecast with current trends and future estimations to determine imminent investment pockets.
- The report provides information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed electrochemical gas sensor market analysis.
- The current electrochemical gas sensor market trends are quantitatively analyzed.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
COVID-19 Scenario Analysis
- The outbreak of COVID-19 has presented huge challenge to national resources and entire race to adapt to existing technologies and deploy new, innovative ones. In response to the global shutdown scenario, production process of electronic components and sensor control devices are under temporary halt thereby disrupting overall supply chain.
- Electrochemical gas sensors being more cost-effective than IR and photoionization detectors, are facing ample demand in the healthcare sector for use in point-of-care applications such as hospital critical care units, ventilators, lung function diagnosis with a view to treat COVID-19 infected patients. In response to the crisis, companies are finding it difficult to supply end-products due to decline of international trade owing to travel ban hence straining demand-supply balance.
- There is a shortfall in demand, owing to lockdown restrictions on automotive operations of industries, power plants, building automation and ban on transportation sector. This is expected to put negative impact on overall electrochemical gas sensor market revenue.
- Recent standstill in industrial manufacturing is expected to act as an awareness for the production sector of its reliance on human labor which, in turn, would lead to greater adoption of robotics, IoT, digitalization in industrial operations in post-pandemic period. The electrochemical gas sensor market is expected to make a steady rebound after lockdown is lifted, owing to expanding demand by commencement of industrial and process operations.
Questions Answered in the Electrochemical Gas Sensor Market Research Report
- Who are the leading players in the electrochemical gas sensor market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the electrochemical gas sensor market size?
- What are the current trends that would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Electrochemical Gas Sensor Market Report Highlights
By Gas Type
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
Figaro Engineering Inc., Emerson Process Management, General Electric, Bosch Sensortech GmbH, Honeywell Analytics, Winsen., Draeger, Cambridge CMOS sensor, City Technology Ltd., Alphasense