Electronic Paper Display Market Overview:
Global Electronic Paper Display Market size is expected to reach $4,274 million in 2022 from $490 million in 2015, growing at a CAGR of 37.5% from 2016-2022. Electronic paper display (EPD) is a significant development in the display technology owing to its advanced features such as readability in direct light (indoor as well as outdoor ambience), low power consumption, flexibility, durability, lightweight, and convenient composition. It is also known as bistable display that refers to the retention of content on the screen even when the power is turned off.
Electronic paper display presents itself as a practical fusion of physics, chemistry, and electronics. The ink utilized in this display technology is termed as e-ink, with chemical composition similar to the pigment used in conventional printing industry. Instead of being deposited on paper, this ink takes the form of tiny capsules (about the diameter of the human hair sandwiched between two electrodes) to produce a monochrome result or sometimes a result with limited colors. Two-pigment ink system is used for monochromatic EPDs, whereas for applications using multiple colors like electronic shelf labels, three-pigment ink system is used.
The electronic paper display market growth across various applications is attributed to factors such as ongoing technological advancements, positive environmental impact owing to very less energy consumption as compared to other display technologies, and increase in application areas. The advantages offered by these paper displays in terms of readability, user experience, energy consumption, and manufacturing cost are some of the factors that drive the global electronic paper display market. However, the lack of awareness, low refresh rate, and absence of wide color pallet along with video output limitation restrict overall market growth.
E-Readers Segment Occupies the Largest Market Share
E-readers segment held the major market share, in terms of revenue generation, of the global EPD market, owing to vast proliferation of e-readers among major economies such as the U.S., UK, and China along with the growing adoption of web-based, e books, and digital reading habits.
North America was the highest contributor to the global electronic paper display market with around 34% of the total market share in 2015 and is estimated to dominate till the end of the forecast period.
The investment opportunities across various applications have been identified by analyzing parameters such as ongoing developments, product availability, technological viability, growth in the revenue in the future, and the rate of adoption. Electronic shelf labels (ESL) are utilized in the retail sector providing capabilities to the retailers to wirelessly update content on shelving signage, in a quick and efficient manner. Employment of ESL facilitates dynamic pricing and promotional pricing ability to the retailers, which is driven by the responses from consumer traffic patterns.
The key players profiled in the report are E Ink Holdings, Plastic Logic, Cambrios Technologies Corporation, Inc., Amazon Liquavista, Clearink Display, Guangzhou Oed Technologies Co. Ltd, Inkcase, LG Electronics, Pervasive Displays, Plastic Logic, and Samsung. Some of the other players in the value chain include DisplayData, DKE Co. Ltd Motion Display, Solomon Systech Limited, and Ubiik among others.
- The report provides an in-depth analysis of the e- paper display market across major geographies as well as the estimated revenues generated during the forecast period.
- The projections in the report are based on analysis of the current market trends and highlight the market potential for the period of 2016-2022, in terms of value.
- The report conducts extensive analysis of the market by closely following key product positioning and monitoring the top contenders within the electronic paper display industry.
- The report also provides quantitative as well as qualitative trends to help the stakeholders in understanding the situations prevailing in the market.
Electronic Paper Display (EPD) Market Key Segmentation:
By Product Type
- Auxiliary Displays
- Electronic Shelf Labels
- Others (Smartcards, Wall Clocks, Cabinet Lock Readers, Retail Tags, and Supermarket Dividers)
- Automotive & Transportation
- Consumer & Wearable Electronics
- Media & Entertainment
- Retail & Enterprise
- Others (Medical, Financial Institutions, Access Control, Architecture, and Packaging)
- North America
- The Netherlands
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East
- Amazon Liquavista
- Cambrios Technologies Corporation
- Clearink Display
- E ink Holdings
- Guangzhou Oed Technologies Co. Ltd
- LG Electronics
- Pervasive Displays
- Plastic Logic
Other Companies in value chain
- DKE Co. Ltd
- Epson Electronics America, Inc.
- Global Display Solutions
- Motion Display
- Solomon Systech Limited