Frac Sand Market Outlook - 2026
Frac sand is a special variety of quartz sand used as a proppant in the hydraulic fracturing (fracking) of shale gas formations. A proppant is a solid material that is designed to keep an induced hydraulic fracture open. It is composed of high-purity silica sand and possesses ideal grain size & spherical shape and resists crushing. These qualities make them ideal for use in the process of fracking. In shale oil & gas exploration, frac sand along with water props open the cracks in the shale rocks. When the water pumps are turned off, frac sand prevents the fracture from closing, thereby enabling the flow of hydrocarbons in to storage tanks. The longer the proppant holds up against the enormous pressure of the fractures, the more petroleum can be extracted, maximizing the efficiency of the well. Alternate materials that have been used as a proppant are ceramic and aluminum beads, and sintered bauxite, but frac sand delivers the highest level of performance, and is thus, preferred by the petroleum industry.
The global frac sand market is driven by the thriving oil and gas exploration industry, which uses hydraulic fracturing process in the extraction of oil & natural gas. A single shale well employing hydraulic fracturing demands about thousand tons of frac sand. On the contrary, the non-availability of shale deposits globally limits the global frac sand market growth. Further, health hazards concerned with the prolonged exposure to frac sand is anticipated to hamper the market growth. However, the fluctuating crude oil prices and discovery of new shale reserves are expected to offer new opportunities for the global frac sand market. Furthermore, frac sand supply infrastructure if built closer to the demand site is expected to minimize the logistics cost, thereby increasing the economy of the hydraulic fracturing process. In addition, hydraulic fracturing of methane hydrate is the upcoming opportunity in the growth of global frac sand market.
The global LVT flooring market is segmented into type, mesh size, application, and region. On the basis of type, the market is segmented into white sand, brown sand and others. On the basis of mesh size, the market is segmented into 20/40, 30/50, 40/70, and 100 mesh size. The application of frac sand is in oil and gas extraction. By region, it is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
The key players involved in the mining and processing of frac sands are Black Mountain Sand, Hi-Crush Inc., U.S. Silica, Carbo Ceramics Inc., Fairmount Santrol, Preferred Sands, Badger Mining Corporation, Unimin Corporation, Emerge Energy Services LP, and Smart Sand Inc.. among others.
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- Porter’s five force analysis helps to analyze the potential of buyers & suppliers and the competitive scenario of the industry for strategy building.
- The report outlines the current market trends and future scenario of the market size to understand the prevailing opportunities and potential investment pockets. The market is forecasted.
- Major countries in the region have been mapped according to their individual revenue contribution to the regional market.
- The key drivers, restraints, and market opportunities and their detailed impact analysis are elucidated in the study.
- The market analysis covers in-depth information of the global frac sand industry share of participants.
Questions answered in the Frac Sand Market research report:
- What is the growth rate of the frac sand market during the forecast period?
- What will be the global frac sand market size?
- What are the leading manufacturing companies in the frac sand market?
- How the major current trends will shape the market in the future?
- What are the driving factors and opportunities in the market?
- Which will be the niches at which players profiling with thorough plans, financials, and also recent advancements should set a presence?
- Why are some of the segments flourishing at the highest growth rate while others experience a steady growth?
- What are the conclusions of the frac sand Market report?
Frac Sand Market Report Highlights
By Mesh Size
Key Market Players
Hi-Crush Inc., CARBO Ceramics Inc., U.S. Silica, Smart Sand Inc., Black Mountain Sand, Unimin Corporation, Fairmount Santrol, Badger Mining Corporation, Emerge Energy Services LP, Preferred Sands