A fuel cell is an electrochemical cell that converts the chemical energy of a fuel (often hydrogen) and an oxidizing agent (often oxygen) into electricity through a pair of redox reactions. Fuel cells are different from most batteries in requiring a continuous source of fuel and oxygen (usually from air) to sustain the chemical reaction, whereas in a battery the chemical energy usually comes from metals and their ions or oxides that are commonly already present in the battery, except in flow batteries. Fuel cells can produce electricity continuously for as long as fuel and oxygen are supplied. The bipolar plates may be made of different types of materials, such as, metal, coated metal, graphite, flexible graphite, C–C composite, carbon–polymer composites etc. Platinum and/or similar type of noble metals are usually used as the catalyst for PEMFC. The electrolyte could be a polymer membrane.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
Long-term policy adjustments are being made by the United Nations to cater to sustainable development goals, owing to the impetus of COVID-19 pandemic. This is acting as an advantage for companies in the fuel cell bipolar plate market, as stakeholders are scurrying toward opportunities to rethink and reshape the current energy systems dominated by high carbon emission fossil fuels. As consumers are becoming aware about how the coronavirus outbreak naturally reduced worldwide carbon emissions due to the standstill of factories, businesses, travel, and trade, consumers are becoming cognizant about the hydrogen technology in electric vehicles (EVs). Manufacturers in the fuel cell bipolar plate market are capitalizing on this opportunity to increase their marketing capabilities for hydrogen technology in EVs.
Top Impacting Factors
The fuel cell bipolar plate market is expected to grow at an explosive rate during the forecast period. Proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs) are being highly imparted for the lowering of poisonous gases during the electrochemical processes in fuel stacks. However, challenges associated with bipolar plates made with metal materials and its associated sustainability & durability are posing as technical issues. Therefore, companies in the fuel cell bipolar plate market are testing with stainless steel, copper, nickel, and other material candidates to deploy sustainability in materials choices of bipolar plates. The high accuracy processing technology of exceptionally thin material thickness is delivering weight curtailment in fuel stacks.
- Producers are boosting their R&D muscle to develop ultralight and compact carbon-based bipolar plates made for PEM fuel cells. For example, HYCCO is a developer of hydrocarbon components for fuel cells is gaining awareness for manufacturing highly electrically conductive bipolar plates that are long lasting and do not compromise on the system’s compactness.
- Companies in the fuel cell bipolar plate market are adapting their chemistry to manufacture long lasting components that seamlessly integrate into vehicle systems. They are increasing the availability of bipolar plates that are suitable for both low temperature and high temperature PEM fuel cells.
- Increase in understanding about green energy and implementation of stringent government rules and regulations on emission of greenhouse gases and carbon are mandating companies to introduce highly effective and pollution-free energy generation methods.
- Fuel cell is an outstanding alternative for energy generated from fossil fuels.
- Governments across the globe are promoting fuel cell projects. Governments are providing subsidies to fuel cell manufacturers and on purchase of fuel cell-operated vehicles.
- All these government initiatives are expected to boom the demand for fuel cells. The fuel cell bipolar plate market directly depends on the sale of fuel cells. Hence, rise in government initiatives to promote fuel cell projects is anticipated to boost the demand for fuel cell bipolar plate during the forecast period.
- Demand for fuel cell bipolar plate is rightly linked to the sales of proton exchange membrane fuel cell.
- Fuel cell bipolar plates evenly distribute fuel gas and air, conduct electrical current from cell to cell, gets rid of heat from the active area, and blocks leakage of gases and coolant. This, in turn, makes the adoption of fuel cell bipolar plate viable operational proton exchange membrane fuel cells.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the fuel cell bipolar plate industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the fuel cell bipolar plate market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed from 2020 to 2030 to highlight the fuel cell bipolar plate market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed fuel cell bipolar plate market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years
Fuel cell bipolar plate Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
Dana Limited, POCO, Shanghai Hongfeng Industrial Co.,Ltd.,, Aperam, Cell Impact, Veco B.V., Schunk Carbon Technology, PRAGMA INDUSTRIES, TECHNICAL FIBRE PRODUCTS, Interplex Holdings Pte. Ltd, Impact Coatings AB, Ballard Power Systems Inc, Nisshinbo Chemical Inc