Fusion Splicer Market Outlook - 2027
Fusion splicer is an equipment that uses an electric arc to weld and form a permanent, low-loss, high-strength joint between two or more optical fibers in such a way that light passing through the fibers does not scatter or reflect back by the splice. Splicer comprises an optical core that assists in aligning fiber cables, a Profile Alignment System (PAS) software that eliminates loss of material during splicing, a detection system to detect edges where light is reflected and makes the region surrounding it almost as strong as the intact fiber.
Networked organizations in the telecommunication & information industry among others make large-scale use of this dynamic equipment as it provides extended bandwidth, low insertion loss, least reflectance, and low variable cost per fusion splice. Cloud service providers and cable operators make suitable use of compact, light-weight fusion splicers for the residential sector as it makes connection more efficient, reliable, withstand extreme temperature, and prevent dust and other particles from entering optical path.
In addition, higher adoption of core alignment splicers providing low splice loss of 0.05dB (decibel) in the cable TV industry, which enhances product quality standards in the market. Further innovation such as real-time on-display monitoring of the state of the splicer imply that the fusion splicer market share will undergo steady growth in the coming years.
COVID-19 scenario Analysis:
- Emergence of coronavirus with epicenter at Wuhan has become a tough issue not only in China but worldwide. There is a halt in production of devices, owing to the lockdown scenario. Companies in China province comprise 25% of the global optical fiber production capacity. This outbreak resulted in disruption across the ecosystem with several supply chain participants shifting their production facilities outside China, which reduces over-reliance on China.
- The unprecedented shutdown and traffic restrictions has caused labor shortages and lowered resumption rates. The supply and shipment of fusion splicer devices is declined, owing to worldwide quarantine and strict transport restrictions.
- However, manufacturers are supporting essential industries such as telecom networks and trying to work with their customers as possible to avoid disruption. With organizations working from home, there is a surge in data traffic facilitating need for bandwidth-and-distance performance.
- In addition, owing to shift from classroom to internet schooling and employees working from home there is a demand for products incorporating fiber termination. Governments worldwide should ease restriction on delivery of essential products for continuation of services as usual as possible.
Top Impacting Factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Driver, and Impact analysis
Growth in number of data centers worldwide has led to adoption of cloud-based infrastructure across the globe augmenting the need for fiber optic cables providing extended bandwidth. Surge in demand for long distance fiber-to-the-premises (FTTH) network deployments, mounting demand for hyper connectivity aiming convergence of voice, video, data networks, and increase in shift from mechanical splicing to fusion splicing to offer high network bandwidth are primary factors that drive rapid progression of the fusion splicer market growth. However, high cost of fusion splicing devices, frequent cleaning, occasional substitution of fusion splicer devices, and increase in demand for continuous power supply hinders the fusion splicer market growth. Contrarily rugged and versatile fusion splicers are capable to be used in harsh environment for installation, operation, and maintenance of military fiber optic networks. Technological advancements and increase in government investments to develop efficient fiber-optic networks are anticipated to open new avenues to the fusion splicer industry.
New Product Launches to flourish the market:
Leading fusion splicer market players are developing high-capacity, multi-fiber cable networks to support dramatic increase in amount of data traffic by improving the accuracy and functionality of fusion splicers.
In January 2020, Furukawa Electric Co. Ltd., Japanese electric and electronics equipment company, launched the S124M12 multi-core optical fiber fusion splicer, which enables users to splice a variety of optical fiber cables by replacing V-groove base frame. The coating diameter of individual splicer is reduced from 250µm to 200µm (micrometer), which offers space-saving rollable ribbon cables. S124M series of splicers realizes fast-fusion splicing and is easily operable with display touch panel and Graphical User Interface (GUI). This technology proliferates use by offering wireless control through WiFi connection and automatic fiber optic correction support mechanism.
Surge in Use in Industrial and Automotive Applications:
Installers choose fusion splicing over mechanical splicing as the high bandwidth and high-resolution requirements are fulfilled providing excellent performance in fiber LAN backbone or uncompressed AV application in automobiles.
In January 2020, Fujikura Ltd., Tokyo-based electrical equipment manufacturing company launched 90R Mass fusion splicer incorporated by automated wind protector, tube heater, splice operation and user-replaceable V-grooves, which enables it to be used for longer time in field operation in defense. It can handle increased data traffic by increased fiber count through high density cabling comprising 200µm and 250µm SpiderWeb Ribbon accessories. This technology upkeeps with wireless communication and has GUI with 5.0” touchscreen thus being suitable for use in high fiber trunk cable and campus network.
Key benefits of the stakeholders:
- The study gives an analytical overview of fusion splicer market forecast with current trends and future estimations to determine imminent investment pockets.
- The report provides information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed fusion splicer market analysis.
- The fusion splicer market trends are quantitatively analyzed.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
Questions answered in the fusion splicer market research report:
- Who are the leading market players active in the fusion splicer market?
- What would be the detailed impact of COVID-19 on the market?
- What current trends would influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the fusion splicer market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Fusion Splicer Market Report Highlights
By Component Type
By Alignment Type
By Industry Vertical
Key Market Players
Emerson Electric Co., INNO Instruments Inc., China Electronic Technology Instruments Co. Ltd., Comway Technology LLC, Furukawa Electric Co. Ltd., Fiberfox, Multicom Inc., Corning Inc., Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd., Fujikara Ltd.