Gas insulated transformers (GIS) are used in applications where non-flammable, non-polluting transformers are required. For instance, they are employed in densely populated areas, buildings, and areas near lakes and rivers where oil leakage from a conventional transformer would be harmful to the environment. These transformers are also installed in environmentally critical areas where oil leakage is prohibited. These include hydroelectric power plants and water treatment facilities. Gas insulated transformers are designed to reduce fire hazards and have less impact on the environment. Sulphur hexafluoride gas insulated transformer is the most clean and is safe to operate. Gas insulated transformers are environmentally friendly and can be recycled easily. This is a major advantage of these transformers. Gas insulated transformers can be integrated directly with gas insulated switchgear to form a single, enclosed unit. This allows space savings and integrated control over the gas system. Higher costs and maintenance associated with gas insulated transformers would hinder the growth of gas insulated transformer market.
Market Scope and Structure Analysis
Market Size Available for Years
Base Year Considered
Type, Voltage, Application, and Region
ABB Ltd., Arteche, Fuji Electric, General Electric, Hyosung Corporation, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Schneider Electric SE, Siemens AG, Toshiba Corporation, and XD Group
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The unfavorable global effects of COVID-19 are already evident and it had a big impact on the gas insulated transformer market in 2020.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared a public health emergency after the COVID-19 virus outbreak in December 2019. The disease has spread in over 100 nations and resulted in massive deaths globally. Exports & imports, global manufacturing, tourism, and financial sectors have all been heavily damaged.
- The downward pressure on the global economy, which had previously shown signs of improvement, has escalated once more. The outbreak of the virus has added danger factors to the international economy's already sluggish development. Many international groups have stated that the global economy is experiencing its most difficult moment since the financial crisis.
- Since the pandemic, the restriction of imports and exports has affected the gas insulated transformer market to a great extent as consumers’ consumption and demand patterns are changing amidst the pandemic.
Top Impacting Factors
In gas insulated transformers, the gas used is non-explosive and non-flammable and eliminates regular checks of oil and increases the awareness towards environmental concerns. These transformers are majorly utilized in medium voltage and high voltage applications such as underground shopping centers, hydroelectric power plant, thermal power plant, chemical plants, and public water facilities. They are used for transmission and distribution purposes to create a more reliable and safe power system. There are various initiatives from governments for the development of infrastructure. Hence, the growth in demand for reliable power leads to the growth of the market during the forecast period. The market is projected to grow at a higher rate during the forecast period, majorly due to the rise in demand for clean energy generation and renewable sources of energy. Governments globally have developed attractive incentives, rewarding the use of renewable sources of energy, which further drives the growth of the gas insulated transformer market, globally.
- Gas Insulated Transformer Market in Asia-Pacific Expected to Grow Owing to Rise in Population and Industrialization Process
- Countries such as China, Japan, and India are actively investing in their grid expansion projects to increase the reliability of transmission and distribution grids. Asia-Pacific is the most populated region in the world and consequently witness’s high demand for electricity. Almost all the countries in the region are augmenting their power generation capacities. India, China, and Indonesia are heavily investing in renewable energy projects, especially in hydroelectric power projects. This has subsequently led to the rise in investments in the transmission and distribution sector to connect the renewable energy generation projects to grids, which is expected to fuel the growth of the gas insulated transformer market in Asia-Pacific.
- Increased Investment in Infrastructure and Adopting Methods to Improve Reliability for Uninterrupted Electricity has Bolstered Market Growth
- The rise in investment in electrical infrastructure and increase in initiatives to improve electrification rate are expected to drive the gas insulated transformer market in the near future. Growth in adoption of technologically advanced products and long-term investments in transmission and distribution of electricity are also anticipated to boost the demand for gas insulated transformer.
- Increasing Awareness about Eco-friendly Practices and Lack of Installation Area for New Transformers Helps with Market Expansion
- Lack of space for new substations and adverse environmental effects of oil-based transformers have encouraged manufacturers to shift toward the use of underground substations. This, in turn, augments the demand for non-explosive and large-capacity gas insulated transformers in order to ensure compactness and prevent accidents. The emphasis on adopting renewable sources of energy across the globe is on the rise. This further contributes to the increasing popularity of gas insulated transformers.
Key Benefits of Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the gas insulated transformer industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the gas insulated transformer market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed from 2020 to 2030 to highlight the gas insulated transformer market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed gas insulated transformer market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions Answered in Gas Insulated Transformer Market Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the Gas Insulated Transformer market?
- What current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
Gas Insulated Transformer Market Report Highlights