The global gas-powered chainsaw market is experiencing significant growth and is expected to grow considerably in the next few years. A gas-powered chainsaw is a power tool used for cutting woods. It is powered by a 2-stroke or 4-stroke internal combustion engine. A gas-powered chainsaw comprises a guide bar with a toothed chain that moves along its periphery. This movement of the chain is responsible of cutting. This saw is used for felling trees, limbing, bucking, and pruning. Furthermore, owing to the advancements in IC engines, a gas-powered chainsaw offers high strength and torque, which is beneficial in cutting hard wood and objects. Some specialized chainsaws are also used for cutting hard materials such as ice and concrete.
Moreover, the feature of high mobility offered by gas-powered chainsaws is the major factor driving their demand, especially in the construction and forestry industry. Moreover, gas-powered chainsaw is a common machinery, and major players in the gas-powered chainsaw industry adopt advanced technologies to increase the efficiency and cutting capacity of their products to sustain the competition in the gas-powered chainsaw market. .
Market Scope and Structure Analysis
Gas powered chainsaws comprise a fuel tank, IC engine, and a guide bar to support the movement of the chain. A gas powered chainsaw uses an IC engine to spin a toothed chain of saw blades around a guide bar quickly to cut through wood in a fast and smooth motion. Together, the chain and guide bar are referred to as the chain assembly, which is powered by the IC engine.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic ceased the production of various products in the gas-powered chainsaw industry, which is attributed to the global lockdown. This has hampered the growth of gas-powered chainsaw market in the years and a similar trend is expected to be seen in the first half of 2022.
- The major demand for gas-powered chainsaw was previously noticed from giant developed and developing countries including the U.S., Germany, Italy, UK, India and China, which are negatively affected by the spread of the coronavirus, thereby declining the demand for gas-powered chainsaw.
- Further, long-term impact of the lockdown is currently vague and financial recovery of companies is totally based on their cash reserves. Gas-powered chainsaw manufacturers can afford a lockdown only for a few months, after which the players have to modify their investment plans. For instance, various players in the market halted their production activities for several weeks to reduce their expenses. On the contrary, few players adopted employee lay-offs to sustain themselves during the COVID-19 health crisis.
- Gas-powered chainsaw manufacturers are expected to focus on protecting their workforce, operations, and supply chains to respond to immediate crises and find new ways of working after COVID-19. For instance, provision of sanitizers, maintaining social distancing, as well as ensuring the vaccination of every employee in the company can assist in promoting the health & safety of the workforce.
Top Impacting Factors
Increase in demand of wood-based consumer products such as furniture and showpieces, owing to the rise in per-capita income across the world, is anticipated to drive the demand and growth of gas-powered chainsaw market. Moreover, gas-powered chainsaws are highly mobile and require little to no time to get them into working condition at any place such as construction or forestry sites. Chainsaws are used during rescue process in an emergency. Such factors make this equipment highly versatile, thus; surging the demand for gas-powered chainsaws. Moreover, a rise in demand for timber in construction and other infrastructure projects is anticipated to increase the demand in gas powered chainsaw market. However, the gas-powered chainsaws are heavy and produce high noise, often over 115 dB. This is one of the restraining factors hindering the growth of gas-powered chainsaw market. In contrast, technological advancements in gas-powered chainsaw products, such as light weight construction and the use of pressure and temperature sensors, increase the efficiency of the equipment and result in a lower number of accidents caused by gas-powered chainsaw mishandling. This is anticipated to create lucrative opportunities for the growth of gas-powered chainsaw market during the forecast period.
- New products that contain improved capabilities are launched by leading market players. They take necessary steps to improve devices and overall functionality. For instance, in October 2020, Stihl Inc., launched the MS 400 C-M gas powered chain saw. it comprises a magnesium alloy piston, a one of a kind in the chain saw industry. The product launch has enhanced the product offerings by Stihl to sustain the competition in the gas-powered chainsaw market.
- Similarly, competitors in the gas-powered chainsaw market adopted acquisition as their key developmental strategy to expand their geographical foothold and upgrade their product technologies. For instance, in December 2021, Stanley Black & Decker a manufacturer of industrial tools, household hardware, and security products, acquired MTD Holdings, Inc. which operates in the same market. The acquisition will help Stanley Black & Decker to grow its product portfolio and advance its foothold in the market.
- Moreover, business expansion strategies also assist in enhancing the geographic footprint of the company and help in gaining significant market share for gas-powered chainsaw products. For instance, in September 2019, Techtronic Industries based in the Hong Kong announced its plans to expand its operations in Anderson County of Colombia, S.C.; U.S. This expansion will include a new 1 million-square-foot manufacturing plant along with a warehouse to support production and assembly operations in the county for the region.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the gas-powered chainsaw industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the future investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the gas-powered chainsaw market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the gas-powered chainsaw market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed gas-powered chainsaw market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Gas-powered Chainsaw Market Report Highlights
By Engine Type
By Guide Bar Length Type
By End-user Industry
Key Market Players
Craftsman, STIHL, Echo, Poulan Pro, Black & Decker Corporation, Hitachi, Makita, Jonsered, Tanaka, Husqvarna