Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a digestive disorder, which is caused when stomach contents such as acid, food, and fluids reflux to the esophagus. This causes irritation of the lining of esophagus, resulting in burning sensation experienced by the patients. GERD is characterized by two cardinal esophageal symptoms, including heartburn (reflux) and regurgitation. Moreover, if GERD is left untreated for a prolonged period, it can cause inflammation of esophagus termed as esophagitis. It is associated with poor quality of life and sleep. It is mostly diagnosed by using upper endoscopy, ambulatory acid (PH) probe test, esophageal manometry, and X-ray. Although it is manageable by change in lifestyle and controlled medications, some people may need strong medications or surgery. Common signs & symptoms of the disease include burning sensation in the chest, dysphagia, belching, epigastric pain, difficulty swallowing, regurgitation of food or sour liquid, and sensation of a lump in the throat. Moreover, during night, acid reflux patient can experience chronic cough, laryngitis, wheezing, throat pain or burning, worsening asthma, and sleep disturbances. Furthermore, prolonged reflux may lead to stricture, esophagitis, and rarely metaplasia or cancer.
The gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment market is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period due to factors such as increase in awareness among physicians and patients regarding the side effects of the proton pump inhibitors (PPI) class of drugs. In addition, rise in alcohol consumption across the globe and surge in geriatric population coupled with increase in prevalence of GERD worldwide are factors responsible for the growth of the market. However, patent expiry of drug, weak pipeline, and increase in competition of many products available in the market for symptomatic treatment hinder the market growth. Conversely, increase in risk of the GERD disease in developing countries is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities for the market expansion.
The global gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment market is segmented based on drug class and region. Depending on drug class, the market is fragmented into antacids, proton pump inhibitors, histamine-2 (H2) blocker receptor, pro kinetic agents, and dopamine receptor antagonist. The histamine-2 (H2) blocker receptor segment is further classified into famotidine, cimetidine, and ranitidine. The proton pump inhibitors segment is subdivided into rabeprazole, esomeprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole, and dexlansoprazole. Region wise, the market is analyzed across North America (U.S., Canada, and Mexico), Europe (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, UK, and rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, and rest of Asia-Pacific), and LAMEA (Brazil, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, and rest of LAMEA).
The key players operating in the global gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment market are AstraZeneca, Boston Scientific Corporation, Eisai Co., Ltd., EndoGastric Solutions, Inc., EndoStim BV, GlaxoSmithKline Plc., Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Jeil Pharmaceutical Holdings Inc., Johnson & Johnson, and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
KEY BENEFITS FOR STAKEHOLDERS
- This report provides a detailed quantitative analysis of the current gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment market trends future estimation which assist to identify the prevailing gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment market opportunities.
- An in-depth market analysis of various regions is anticipated to provide a detailed understanding of the current trends to enable stakeholders formulate region-specific plans.
- A comprehensive analysis of the factors that drive and restrain the growth of the global gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment market is provided.
- Region-wise and country-wise market conditions are comprehensively analyzed in this report.
- An extensive analysis of various regions provides insights that are expected to allow companies to strategically plan their business moves.
- Key market players within the gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment market are profiled in this report and their strategies are analyzed thoroughly, which help to understand the competitive outlook of global gastroesophageal reflux disease treatment market.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Treatment Market Report Highlights
By Drug Class
Key Market Players
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Eisai Co. Ltd., Jeil Pharmaceutical Holdings Inc., Boston Scientific Corporation, EndoStim BV, GlaxoSmithKline Plc., EndoGastric Solutions Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals Inc., AstraZeneca