A gastrostomy feeding tube, also referred to as a G-tube is a device inserted into stomach via abdomen. These tubes are placed into the abdomen by a Pediatric Surgeon or Pediatric Gastroenterologist. A surgeon inserts this feeding tube with help of an endoscope and this procedure is called as gastronomy. The G-tube is kept inserted in the stomach as long as the patient needs it. The gastrostomy feeding tubes are primarily used to supply nutritional elements to a patient having problem in eating and swallowing the food. These tubes are also used to provide liquids, medicine and essential calories to new born infants. Furthermore, health conditions that can potentially result in eating problems include burns, stroke, motor neuron disease, dementia, cerebral palsy and others. Use of gastrostomy feeding tubes have shown promising results in rapid recovery and quick healing, hence are extensively used globally. Feeding tube insertion procedure is also referred to as percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG), esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), and G-tube insertion.
COVID – 19 scenario analysis:
- The COVID-19 pandemic has emerged as a humanitarian as well as economic crisis, creating strain on the society and affecting millions of people and businesses.
- Industry closures and people are asked to stay in their homes which has cause taken a huge toll in terms of money and economic growth.
- Over 4 million people affected globally, with 300, 000 losing their lives due to SARS-CoV-2.
- Healthcare organizations are already working in battle mode, preparing new plans to respond growing COVID-19 patients, right from sourcing rapid diagnosing kits to sufficient PPE kits for workers.
- Due to diversion of medical field toward treating COVID-19, the funding to R&D activities related to gastrostomy has been reduced and this segment has to face negligence subsequently causing negative impact on the gastrostomy tube feeding devices market.
Top impacting factors: Market Scenario Analysis, Trends, Drivers and Impact Analysis
Exponential rise in geriatric population coupled with increase in prevalence of chronic ailments including diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, respiratory and gastrointestinal diseases resulting into increase of patient pools suffering due to malnutrition are the key factors driving the growth of gastrostomy tube feeding devices market. Additionally, changing trends pertaining shift to enteral from parenteral feeding and rising consciousness among populace regarding gastrostomy feeding will foster the industry growth in the near future.
Furthermore, ever rising high birth rate in developing and developed countries, rising prevalence of premature births will surge the demand for gastrostomy feeding tubes devices in the market. As per the UNICEF (United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund) studies, it was seen that approximately 2.5 million children died in 2017, in the first month after their birth. WHO data reveal that one premature birth take place every 10 babies born globally, accounting for around 15 million pre-mature births occur globally. Premature babies are prone to problems including simultaneous ventilation, oral aversion and neurological disorders like cerebral palsy limiting the food eating and swallowing habits would aid in the development of the market.
On the contrary, risk and complications such as dislodgement, hemorrhage, fluid imbalance, infections owing to contamination, swelling in the tube surrounding area, leakage in the abdominal cavity and other medication-related complications associated with gastrostomy feeding tube devices will restrain the market growth.
Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases to boost the growth
According to the statistics published by the World Health Organization (WHO), there has been immense rise in chronic diseases worldwide. In 2001, chronic diseases accounted for almost 60% of the 56.5 million reported deaths with approximately 46% of the burden of disease worldwide. Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are expected to increase up to 57% by 2020. The number of infectious & non-infectious diseases has been rising simultaneously. According to the WHO, by 2018, the number of people infected with this virus is 75 million right from the beginning of this pandemic and around 32 million people have died because of this disease. Additionally, by the end of2018, around 37.9 million people were living with HIV. The growth in various diseases would ensure development in this market.
The efforts taken to spread awareness among people, increasing incidences of chronic diseases and increasing healthcare expenditure are factors that would facilitate the gastrostomy tube feeding devices growth.
Rise in geriatric population and life expectancy to fuel the growth
Rising geriatric population, increasing incidences of various diseases owing to rising age creating a patient pool and demand for nutritional support are the factors contributing to the market growth.
The rising birthrate, advancements in the medical field and reduction in the cost of treatments along with use of various multi-faceted therapies against number of chronic diseases has increased the life expectancy has led to the global population is aging rapidly. As per the report, ‘World Ageing Population, 2019’ the older population, i.e., people belonging to age group 65 and above accounted for approximately 702.9 million cases of GI disorders all around the world and it is expected to hit 1500 million mark. The UN statistics also highlight the growth of elderly population aged 60 years and above is projected to reach 2.0 billion by 2050 from current figures that is 960 million in 2017. Therefore, increasing geriatric population would contribute to rise in the market for gastrostomy tube feeding devices.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global gastrostomy tube feeding devices industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global gastrostomy tube feeding devices market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the gastrostomy tube feeding devices market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global gastrostomy tube feeding devices market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the Gastrostomy tube feeding devices market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the gastrostomy tube feeding devices market?
- What current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Gastrostomy Tube Feeding Devices Market Report Highlights
By Age Group
By End User
Key Market Players
ConMed Corporation, Danone, Boston Scientific Corporation, B. Braun Melsungen, Baxter International, Nestle Inc., Abbott Nutrition, Cardinal Health, Inc., ALCOR, Becton Dickinson (C.R. Bard, Inc.)