Grazoprevir Market Overview 2030:
Grazoprevir is a direct acting antiviral medication used as part of a combination therapy to treat chronic Hepatitis C, an infectious liver disease caused by infection with Hepatitis C Virus (HCV). HCV is a single-stranded RNA virus that is categorized into nine distinct genotypes, with genotype 1 being the most common in the U.S., and affecting 72% of all chronic HCV patients. Treatment options for chronic Hepatitis C have advanced significantly since 2011, with the development of Direct Acting Antivirals (DAAs) such as Grazoprevir. Itis an inhibitor of NS3/4A, a serine protease enzyme, encoded by HCV genotypes 1 and 4. The most commonly reported adverse reactions of all intensity (greater than or equal to 5% in placebo-controlled trials) were fatigue, headache, and nausea.
Grazoprevir is a second generation NS3/4a protease inhibitor used to inhibit viral HCV replication. NS3/4A protease is an integral part of viral replication and mediates the cleavage the virally encoded polyprotein to mature proteins (NS3, NS4A, NS4B, NS5A and NS5B). Grazoprevir inhibits the NS3/4A protease enzymes of HCV genotype 1a, 1B, and 4 with IC50 values of 7pM, 4pM, and 62pM, respectively. The most commonly reported adverse reactions of all intensity (greater than or equal to 5% in placebo-controlled trials) are fatigue, headache, and nausea.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
- Pharmaceutical companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19.
- Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected to witness a significant growth in the future owing to the demand for vaccine and treatment drugs for COVID-19. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the grazoprevirmarket.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) on January 30, 2020, declared COVID-19 outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Grazopervir API and tablet manufacturing and distributing companies have been affected by COVID-19 to a limited extent, owing to shut down in various COVID-19 affected countries and rise in number of healthcare workers falling ill in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to supply shortage.
Top Impacting Factors
- Rise in prevalence of Hepatitis C cases is likely the key driving factor of grazoprevir market in upcoming years.
- However, the restraints to the market are self-imitating nature of the disease in a sizable number of patients, challenge of herbal treatment offered at negligible prices especially in developing regions, price war between companies, rising urbanization, and better sanitation.
- Several new drugs have been launched in recent times, due to the high prevalence of hepatitis C across the world, which can restrain the grazoprevir market growth.
The global grazoprevir drug market is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period. Key players such as Merck & Co. has taken initiative for the treatment of hepatitis C infection in Africa by formulation of grazoprevir. Hepatitis C is a viral infection that causes severe damage such as inflammation of the liver and can spread through contaminated blood. The advanced stages of hepatitis C can also lead to liver damage, thereby creating severe health risks. The severity of hepatitis C has created a huge emphasis on the R&D of drugs associated with the treatment of this disease.
Recent studies by computational screening revealed that grazoprevir can block the replication of virus by inhibiting its entry. This study can attract investors toward the market, while R&D in the field can boost the grazoprevir market growth.
Key Benefits of Report
- This report presents the detailed analytical depiction of the grazoprevir market along with current trends, opportunities, and future estimates for the market.
- The report presents information related to the key drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the grazoprevir market.
- The current market is analyzed to emphasize the grazoprevir market.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrate the potency of buyers and suppliers in market.
- The report provides a detailed analysis of the grazoprevir market based on market competition and how it will take shape in upcoming years.
Questions Answered in the Grazoprevir Market Report
- What is the mechanism of action of grazoprevir?
- What are grazoprevir products used for?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in upcoming years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints and opportunities of the market?
- Which are the leading players in the grazoprevir market?
- What future projections will help in taking strategic steps in the future?
- What are the distribution channels of grazoprevir market?
- Which is the major regional market in grazoprevir market?
- What are the key benefits of the grazoprevir market report?
Grazoprevir Market Report Highlights
By Formulation Type
By Distribution Channel
Key Market Players
Novartis AG, Hoffmann-la Roche ltd., Merck & co. Inc., GlaxoSmithKline plc, Abbvie Inc, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gilead sciences Inc., Johnson and Johnson