Grey baby syndrome is a form of circulatory collapse that is prevalent among newborn and premature infants. It is associated with high serum levels of an antibiotic called chloramphenicol. Chloramphenicol helps treats various infections caused by H. influenza, Neisseria species, Salmonella typhi, and other bacteria; however, it may cause the grey baby syndrome. Grey baby syndrome is characterized by abdominal distension, ashen-grey skin color, flaccidity, vomiting, circulatory collapse, and cyanosis. In adverse situations, this condition may even cause death. Breastfed babies could develop this syndrome if the mother is taking chloramphenicol. For treatment, the drug is removed from the baby's body using exchange transfusion or hemodialysis.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
Pharmaceutical and biotech companies together with governments around the globe are working to address the COVID-19 outbreak, from supporting the development of vaccines to planning for medicine supply chain challenges. Currently, around 115 vaccine candidates and 155 molecules are in the R&D pipeline. Moreover, commonly used drugs such as hydroxychloroquine have witnessed a dramatic surge in demand for the management of COVID-19. Such high demand for these drugs has presented huge opportunities for manufacturers of COVID-19 management drugs, as many developed countries are facing a shortage of these drugs. Thus, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries are expected to witness significant growth in the future, owing to the demand for vaccines and treatment drugs for COVID-19.
However, with COVID-19 the supply chain of raw materials required to manufacture drugs that help treat grey baby syndrome has been disrupted in many countries. In addition, the market growth of pharmaceuticals is declining, as manufacturers of drugs have slowed down their production due to the pandemic. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the grey baby syndrome market.
Top Impacting Factors
Increasing awareness regarding grey baby syndrome in many developed countries has led to the growth of the grey baby syndrome market. This is attributed to the fact that people are able to opt for the best suitable treatment for their babies.
In addition, doctors are more careful with the surveillance of grey baby syndrome during pregnancy, which helps prevent the development of the condition in fetus during the gestation period. This factor has further boosted the growth of the grey baby syndrome market.
Various new treatments are now being used in treating grey baby syndrome that include the exchange transfusion and hemodialysis. Furthermore, new treatment options are in pipeline, which are expected to further boost the growth of the grey baby syndrome market.
However, there is a huge lack of awareness regarding the cause and symptoms of the grey baby syndrome in many developing countries. This factor can act as a restraint of the grey baby syndrome market.
Key Market Trends
The hospital segment holds a major share of the grey baby syndrome market. This is attributed to the fact that when a baby is diagnosed with grey baby syndrome it is likely that he/she will need hospitalization. This is necessary so that the doctors can monitor the baby’s condition closely.
The ultrasound diagnostic segment is expected to hold a major market share during the forecast period. This can be attributed to the rising number of diagnostic procedures that are done to determine the onset of grey baby syndrome in fetuses during pregnancy.
Various government and nongovernment bodies are taking initiatives to launch awareness programs regarding the cause and symptoms of the grey baby syndrome. This is anticipated to lead to the growth of the grey baby syndrome market during the forecast period.
Key players of the grey baby syndrome market are focusing on launching new diagnostic procedures that save time. These players are further focusing on strategies such as mergers and acquisitions with other players to penetrate deeper into the market.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the grey baby syndrome industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions Answered in the Grey Baby Syndrome Report
- Which are the leading players active in the grey baby syndrome market?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow during the forecast period?
- What are the adoption trends for the grey baby syndrome in emerging economies and established economies across the world?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps in the market?
- What are the impacts of COVID-19 on the industry?
- What is grey baby syndrome?
- What are the current and predicted trends of the market?
Grey Baby Syndrome Market Report Highlights
By End User
Key Market Players
GlaxoSmithKline Plc., Merck & Co., Inc., Johnson and Johnson, DaVita Healthcare Partners, Inc., Fresenius Medical Care AG and Co. KGaA, Baxter International, Inc., Eli Lilly and Company, AstraZeneca Plc., Arrow Pharmaceuticals,, Allergan Plc.