Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC), commonly known as hypromellose, is a synthetically modified version of the natural polymer cellulose that is safe for human consumption. Since HPMC capsules are made from plant extracts, they are rapidly being used as an alternative to hard shell gelatin capsules.
They serve as ideal alternatives to gelatin capsules, as they meet the dietary and cultural needs of vegetarians. Owing to their thermal reversible gelation property, the HPMC material is present in the form of off-white powder or granules are hygroscopic and practically insoluble in hot water, chloroform, and acetone but disintegrate rapidly in cold water, forming a colloidal solution.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
- The COVID-19 pandemic positively impacted the growth of the hard HPMC capsules market across the globe. Immunity boosters in the form of natural herbs and nutraceuticals have been in high demand, as the development of strong immunity plays such an important role in combating COVID-19 infection. According to a research report published in 2020, every COVID-19 patient should be tested for malnutrition and serum vitamin D levels on admission. Thus, the COVID-19 pandemic surges the demand for nutraceuticals, which, in turn, is expected to boost the hard HPMC capsules market.
Top Impacting Factors
Increased demand for vegetarian-based capsules from nutraceutical and pharmaceutical companies is a major factor driving the global HPMC capsules market.
Furthermore, the growing need for halal-certified goods in Muslim-populated areas has contributed toward the market growth.
High expenditures in research & development as well as new manufacturing units for HPMC capsules have fueled the market's growth.
However, stability problems, price fluctuations in gelatin material, and stringent regulations in the pharmaceutical industry are expected to hamper market growth.
Pharmaceutical companies are increasing their investments in underdeveloped economies, which is expected to create lucrative market expansion opportunities.
New product launches to flourish the market
- In February 2018, CapsCanada expanded its K-CAPS manufacturing capacity by investing USD 28 million. With this, the company aimed to increase its capsule production to meet the rising global demand for K-CAPS
- In July 2018, Lonza's Capsule Delivery Solutions launched the Capsugel Vcaps Gen C capsule based on the carrageenan gelling-agent formulation, expanding Lonza’s Capsugel Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose (HPMC) portfolio.
- In February 2018, ACG signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Applied DNA, Inc. (U.S.) that will allow ACG to utilize Applied DNA’s proven SigNature molecular tagging and authentication technologies to develop molecularly tagged empty hard-shell capsules.
- Advancements in capsule delivery technologies
- In the past, gelatin capsules were used to make solid dosage forms for the pharmaceutical industry. Technological advancements have provided the HPMC capsules industry with a growing range of functionality options for capsules-based formulations used by patients.
- Over the years, HPMC capsule delivery has witnessed many technological advancements in terms of product enhancements for patient comfort and better quality outcomes. These include the improvement of capsule shells, capsule-sealing techniques, fill material, and capsule systems to accomplish modified drug release and the encapsulation of different ingredients.
- Another key technology is the revolution of capsule-in-capsule technology to guard gastric-sensitive active ingredients. This allows the use of minimal excipients for the formulation, differentiated pharmacokinetic performance, improvement of upper gastrointestinal safety, and improved product development. For instance, Capsugel announced the lipid multi-particulate (LMP) technology, a drug delivery platform that performs taste-masking, bioavailability enhancement, and modified release. Capsugel’s DUOCAP, a capsule-in-capsule delivery system, is preferably suited for dual-release products.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the hard HPMC capsule along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the hard HPMC capsule market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed hard HPMC capsule market analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the Hard HPMC Capsule Market Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the hard HPMC capsule market?
- What current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is "hard HPMC capsule"?
- What is "hard HPMC capsule" market prediction in the future?
- Who are the leading global players in the "hard HPMC capsule" market?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the key benefits of the "hard HPMC capsule " market report?
Hard HPMC Capsule Market Report Highlights
By Product Type
By End User
Key Market Players
Suheung Co., Ltd, Strohcaps, Inc, Shanghai Honest Chemical Co., Ltd, CapsCanada, Shaoxing Kangke Capsule Co., Ltd., HealthCaps India Ltd., ACG Worldwide, Wuhan Carma Technology Co., Ltd., Qualicaps LLC, Bright Pharma Caps, Inc, GS Capsule, BioCaps Enterprise, Inc., Baotou Capstech Co., Ltd, Capsugel, Zhejiang Yuexi Capsule Co., Ltd, Sunil Healthcare Ltd