Cytology is a branch of life science concerned with the structure, function, and understanding of cells, whereas histology is concerned with the microscopic anatomy of cells and tissues of life forms. Histology and cytology strive to explain the structure of animal and plant tissues and cells, particularly at the microscopic level. Cytology is quite popular due to its rapid examination rate, precision, and affordability, as well as the high disease prevalence and use of the test for cervix screening. The diagnosis of numerous infectious and cell-based disorders, such as cervical diseases, inflammatory diseases, cancer, and autoimmune diseases, is investigated using histology and cytology.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The emergence of COVID-19 has posed a threat to public health globally. The COVID-19 pandemic outbreak was predicted to have a minor influence on the global histology and cytology market in 2020. The healthcare sector, in general, is projected to operate at full capacity during the pandemic, as governments have declared healthcare services as essentials. Furthermore, as the COVID-19 crisis continues, researchers and medical professionals are increasingly focusing on identifying pathological changes in numerous organs in COVID-19 patients. Although COVID-19 primarily affects the respiratory and immunological systems, the disease may also have a negative impact on other systems such as the urinary and gastrointestinal tract, reproductive, integumentary, cardiovascular, and nervous systems. Furthermore, the increase in incidences of cardiovascular, immunological, and other diseases and the rise in geriatric population are expected to increase the demand for histology and cytology products, which is expected to support the market growth during the forecast period.
Top Impacting Factors
- The surge in the prevalence of age-associated chronic diseases such as cancer and the rise in the popularity of immunohistochemistry for visualizing cellular components to diagnose a wide range of diseases fuels the market growth.
- The surge in adoption of cytological tests due to their less invasive nature as compared to biopsy and higher reliability is expected to drive the global histology and cytology market.
- The increase in demand of histology and cytology products due to high awareness about screening and high healthcare expenditure also boosts the histology and cytology market globally.
- Moreover, the surge in the number of well-equipped clinical laboratories and favorable reimbursement for cancer screening and laboratory tests have a positive effect on the market growth.
- In addition, technological advancement in cell and tissue studies are expected to render a positive impact on the histology and cytology market growth.
- Continuous R&D efforts by industry players to extend the scope of its application in the diagnosis of numerous diseases also contributes to the growth of the market.
- However, the high cost of histology tests and lack of skilled professionals may hinder the histology and cytology market growth during the forecast period.
New Product Launches to Flourish Histology and Cytology Market
In January 2021, Biocare Medical, LLC released ONCORE Pro, a completely automated staining platform for Immunohistochemistry (IHC) and In Situ Hybridization (ISH) applications.
In September 2020, GeneTex, Inc. entered into a partnership with HistoWiz, Inc. for establishing various validated antibodies for immunohistochemistry in the human COVID-19 infected tissues.
In December 2019, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. collaborated with Fortelinea Software Systems for co-marketing of software solutions in the U.S. This was aimed at enhancing workflow across histology research laboratories in the country.
In 2019, Hologic’s ThinPrep Genesis processor for cytology slide and molecular test preparation received CE IVD mark in the Europe. This system increases the automation capabilities by preparing the slides for cytology as well as aliquot samples for molecular testing, thereby reducing manual sample handling.
Cancer has been the major cause of death globally. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), cancer was the second biggest cause of death globally in 2018, accounting for an estimated 9.6 million deaths. Cancer accounts for around one-sixth of all deaths globally. Cancer kills over 70% of people in low- and middle-income countries. As a result, the rising number of cancer patients has a direct impact on the increased demand for the histology and cytology market.
As a result, these histology procedures assist in boosting the sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy of diagnostic methods.
Key Benefits of Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the histology and cytology along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the histology and cytology market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the histology and cytology market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed histology and cytology market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the Histology and cytology Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the histology and cytology market?
- What current trends will influence the histology and cytology market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the histology and cytology market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is histology and cytology?
- What is histology and cytology market prediction for the future?
- Who are the leading global players in the histology and cytology market?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
- What are the key benefits of the histology and cytology market report?
Histology and Cytology Market Report Highlights
By Test Type
By End User
Key Market Players
Becton, Dickinson, Hologic, Inc., Trivitron Healthcare, Abbott, Sysmex Corporation, Company, Koninklijke Philips N.V., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Merck KGaA, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Danaher