Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) attacks the body’s immune system. If untreated, it causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). This virus is sexually transmitted, however, other modes of transmission include blood transfusions and sharing of needles with an infected person. HIV self-test kits are diagnostic products used in testing HIV in a private environment. The sample collected for these tests is often urine, blood, or oral fluid of an individual. The results of an HIV self-test kit are highly precise, and it helps detect HIV antibodies and antigens in the individual.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- COVID-19 is an infectious disease that originated in the Hubei province of the Wuhan city in China in late December. The highly contagious disease, caused by a virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), is transmitted from human to human. Since the outbreak in December 2019, the disease has spread to almost 213 countries around the globe with the World Health Organization declaring it a public health emergency on March 11, 2020.
- At the early phase of the COVID-19 pandemic, there was no availability of specific diagnostic tests to detect the disease in patients. Alternative diagnostic tests were used initially but were not much effective. This unavailability of specific COVID-19 diagnostic tests presented lucrative opportunities for diagnostic manufacturers to introduce their COVID-19 diagnostic kits. Many leading players as well as some start-ups from various countries utilized this opportunity and introduced COVID-19 diagnostics kits into local as well as global markets. These players achieved an edge over other diagnostics players capitalizing on the opportunity from demand for COVID-19 diagnostic tests, which, in turn, helps them in maintaining their revenues in such a crisis.
- However, with COVID-19 the supply chain of the raw materials required to manufacture HIV self-test kits has been disrupted in many countries. In addition, the market growth of diagnostic products is declining as the manufacturers of diagnostic kits have slowed down their production due to the pandemic. This, in turn, is expected to have a significant impact on the HIV self-test kits market.
Top Impacting Factors
Increase in prevalence of HIV cases across the world is the major factor boosting the growth of the HIV self-test kits market. One can get HIV when coming in contact with infected semen, blood, or vaginal fluids.
In addition, HIV spreads when an infected person shares his drug needles with someone healthy. With a rise in number of drug addicts the chances of having HIV has exponentially increased. This factor is contributing to the growth of the HIV self-test kits market.
The number of cases of HIV spreading from blood transfusions is on rise. HIV can even spread from a mother to a child during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding. With increased awareness about the ways in which HIV can spread, people are more willing to invest in HIV self-test kits, thus propelling the market.
However, the availability of HIV self-test kits is low in the pharmacies of many developing nations, which impedes the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
- Major players of the HIV self-test kits are focused on designing compact and rapid HIV self-test kits that come with a low price tag. These factors are helping them penetrate deeper into the market.
- North America dominates the HIV self-test kits market, owing to increase in the number of AIDS cases in nations of this region and rise in efforts from government & nongovernment bodies to increase awareness about HIV self-test kits.
- The market for HIV self-test kits in Europe is expected to witness constant growth during the forecast period. This can be attributed to the favorable reimbursement scenario for healthcare policies by governments of different nations of the region.
- Asia-Pacific is projected to have a considerable growth rate during the forecast period, owing to the increased inclination of the region's population toward the use of HIV self-test kits in pregnant women and sexually active adults.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the HIV self-test kits industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with a detailed analysis of the HIV self-test kits market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed analysis depending on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in the coming years.
Questions Answered in the HIV Self-test Kits Report
- Which are the leading players active in the HIV self-test kits market?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow during the forecast period?
- What are the adoption trends for the HIV self-test kits market in emerging economies and established economies across the world?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities of the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps in the market?
- What are the impacts of COVID-19 on the industry?
- What are HIV self-test kits?
- What are the current and predicted trends of the market?
HIV Self-test Kits Market Report Highlights
By Sample Type
By Test Generation
By End User
Key Market Players
Biosynex Group, Bedford Biotech Nigeria, bioLytical Laboratories, OraSure Technologies, Inc, BioSURE United Kingdom Ltd., Orangelife Comércio e Indústria LTDA, Chembio Diagnostic Systems, Inc, Sedia Biosciences Corporation, Atomo Diagnostics