Hydrogel Market Overview:
Global Hydrogel Market is expected to garner $ 27.2 billion by 2022, registering a CAGR of 6.3% during the forecast period 2016-2022. Hydrogel is a water-insoluble polymer chain network that can retain high water content within its structure (about 90% water in the gel base). Hydrogels are used in hygiene products such as baby diapers, sanitary pads, adult incontinence pads, and soft contact lenses.
In addition, they are increasingly used in wound care dressings for cleansing and debriding necrotic tissues in wounds. They are also used during the treatment of partial or thick wounds, necrotic wounds, burns, and autolytic debridement. This is attributed to the increasing adoption of hydrogel products for various applications, associated benefits of hydrogel over conventional substitutes, growing product-focused R&D activities by market players, and rising demand for hydrogel-based products in the emerging countries. Hydrogel products have been tested to show proven benefits such as improved water retention ability, controlled release, and preservation of stored components. These features have fostered their use as a preferred material for manufacturing hygiene products such as diapers, soft contact lenses, drug delivery patches, and wound care products. These products are widely used in, which would eventually drive the demand for hydrogel market during the forecast period. However, high production cost and potential environmental hazards associated with decomposition of synthetic hydrogels are the major restraining factors of the market.
The world hydrogel market has been segmented based on five categories namely, raw material type, composition, form, product, and end user. Based on the type of raw material used, the market is categorized into synthetic, natural, and hybrid hydrogels. Based on composition, the market is segmented into five segments namely, polyacrylate, polyacrylamide, silicone-modified hydrogels, agar-based, and others. Based on form in which hydrogel is used, the market is segmented into amorphous hydrogels and semi-crystalline hydrogels. The hydrogel market has been segmented into four product categories, which include semi-crystalline buttons, amorphous gels, impregnated gauze, films & matrices, and hydrogel sheets. Based on end users, the market is segmented into contact lenses, hygiene products, wound care, drug delivery, tissue engineering, and others.
Product-focused R&D is the key strategy adopted by market players to expand their hydrogel product portfolio. The customizable properties of hydrogel in products has stimulated extensive investments for development of new products. In line with this strategy, CooperVision, Inc. announced to launch Biofinity XR contact lens brandin 2015. Similarly, ConvaTec launched its product AQUACEL, a sterile dressing used to cover acute and chronic wound ulcers in 2015. The key players profiled in this report include 3M Company, Smith & Nephew plc, ConvaTec, Inc., Alliqua Biomedical, Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Procyon Corp, BSN Medical GmbH, HB Fuller Company, Altergon Italia, AMBU, and The Cooper Companies.
KEY BENEFITS FOR STAKEHOLDERS:
- This report provides an extensive analysis of the current market trends and future estimations of the world hydrogel market.
- The world hydrogel market scenario is comprehensively analyzed in accordance to the raw material type, composition, form, product, and end users of hydrogels.
- The market estimations in this report are based on high-end analysis of the key developments for 2015 - 2022.
- Recent developments, key manufacturers, market shares, and upcoming products have been listed in this report to analyze the competitive scenario of the market.
- The scenario beyond 2022 until 2027 has been explained through contingent patterns based on moderate, rapid, and slow growth rates of the market.
HYDROGEL MARKET KEY SEGMENTS:
The world hydrogel market segmentation is illustrated as follows:
By Raw Material Type
- Silicone-modified hydrogels
- Others (polyethylene glycol (PEG), poly vinyl pyrrolidone (PVP), polyvinyl alcohol (PVA), gelatin, and other polysaccharides)
- Semicrystalline buttons
- Amorphous Gels
- Impregnated Gauze
- Films & Matrices
- Hydrogel Sheets
By End user
- Contact Lenses
- Hygiene Products
- Wound Care
- Drug Delivery
- Tissue Engineering
- Others (Agriculture, Forensics, and Research)
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of APAC
- Latin America
- Middle East