India Phosphate Rich Organic Manure (PROM) Market Statistics – 2030
The India phosphate rich organic manure (PROM) market was valued at $203.2 million in 2020, and is projected to reach $419.6 million by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 6.8% from 2021 to 2030.
Organic manure (type of natural fertilizer) is used by farmers to provide proper nutrients to crops. Phosphate rich organic manure is a type of fertilizer that is used as an alternative for di-ammonium phosphate and single super phosphate fertilizers. Phosphate rich organic manure is produced with use of high-grade rock phosphate that is co-composted along with plant waste or sources such as waste from fruit industries, paddy straw waste, and press mud.
PROM is a value-added product that has 18% P2O5 and 22% moisture content. In addition, it is cheaper as compared to other phosphate substitute products such as di-ammonium phosphate (DAP). Moreover, better productivity result of crop yield has further escalated the use and adoption of PROM by Indian farmers. For instance, productivity of paddy crop can be increased by 29% with the use of PROM. Change in perception of farmers and end users toward environmentally sustainable farming methods and affordable organic fertilizers propel demand for organic fertilizers in India. In addition, advantages such as subsidized prices, contribution toward minimal use of non-biodegradable raw materials in crops, and favorable government policies has further escalated the use and production of organic-based fertilizers in India. Phosphate rich organic manure (PROM) is used as an organic-based fertilizer and as alternative over other fertilizers such as di-ammonium phosphate and single super phosphate. In addition, utilization of PROM is expected to cut down the cost associated with use of fertilizers and minimizes cost associated with fertilization process. Moreover, PROM is suitable with Indian soil conditions ranging from neutral to alkaline soil. In general, PROM can be used effectively with soil of neutral to high pH content. All these factors collectively drive growth of the India PROM market.
Nutrient content in organic manure is minimal as compared with chemicals fertilizers. In order to meet the proper nutrient content for the growth of crops, large amount of organic manure need to be added. This factor in turn increases time and thereby anticipated to hamper the market growth. Nitrogen content and uptake of nitrogen nutrient by the crops is utmost important. However, due to low nitrogen mineralization content and low nitrogen release rate to the crops is are predicted to restrain the growth of the India phosphate rich organic manure (PROM). Factors such as minimal nutrient level and product inconsistency associated with organic manure is predicted to hamper the India phosphate rich organic manure market growth. For instance, nutrient level in organic manure is minimal as compared to chemical fertilizers and in some cases manufactured PROM product may yield inconsistent result. All these factors hamper the market growth.
On the contrary, PROM fertilizers are produced through bioconversion of phosphate rock ore into soluble phosphates. In addition, use of vermicompost and anaerobic digestor sludge produces PROM that is used as an alternative over other chemical based phosphatic fertilizers. Phosphorus is an important nutrient that is responsible for proper crop growth. Hence, proper intake of phosphorus content by crops is ensured with use of chemical fertilizers such as triple superphosphate and ammonium phosphate. However, production of these chemical fertilizers is an energy intensive process. Thus, production of phosphatic fertilizers with use of bio-conversion process is gaining importance. Bio- fertilizers (PROM) in such case is gaining importance and anticipated to offer new opportunities during the forecast period.
The India phosphate rich organic manure (PROM) market analysis is done on the basis of source type. On the basis of source type, the market is divided into organic manure, plant based bio-mass, de-oiled cake, potassium humate, and others.
The major companies profiled in this report include Biogen Fertilizers India Private Ltd., Nextnode BioScience Pvt. Ltd., Jaipur Bio Fertilizer, Hindustan BEC Tech India Pvt. Ltd., Gujarat Pavan Fertilizer Company (GPFC), Farmadil India LLP, Prabhat Fertilizer & Chemical Works, Bhoomi Phosphate Pvt. Ltd., Agri India Biotech, and Ujjawal Biotech & Organics Pvt. Ltd.
India Phosphate Rich Organic Manure (PROM) Market, by Source Type
By Source Type
Organic manure source type is the most lucrative segment
In 2020, the potassium humate source type was the largest revenue generator, and is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 4.7% during the forecast period in terms of revenue. Adoption of potassium humate as a key component in sustainable agricultural methods, as well as rising concerns about environmental consequences and soil pollution as a result of the use of chemical-based products on crops, are the primary drivers for potassium humate. Exogenous potassium humate enhances soil characteristics and boosts fertility. In addition, demand for potassium humate is expected to be driven by the availability of customized product solutions based on soil and crop type specifications, as well as demand for herbicide products due to their improved performance and ecofriendly nature.
Key benefits for stakeholders
- Porter’s five forces analysis helps analyze the potential of buyers & suppliers and the competitive scenario of the industry for strategy building.
- It outlines the current India phosphate rich organic manure (PROM) market trends and future estimations from 2020 to 2030 to understand the prevailing opportunities and potential investment pockets.
- The key drivers, restraints, and opportunities and their detailed impact analysis are explained in the study.
- The profiles of key players and their key strategic developments are enlisted in the report.
Impact of COVID-19 on the India rich organic manure (PROM) market
- The novel coronavirus is an unsurpassed global pandemic that has spread to over 180 countries. India phosphate rich organic manure (PROM) market has been moderately impacted due to the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, owing to its dependence on the agricultural sector.
- Key-players in the PROM market are coming up with new business strategies such as business expansion in order to gain edge over the competitors and increase their sales in the pandemic situation. For instance, according to report by Press Information Bureau (PIB) Mumbai, Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers (RCF) (leading fertilizer producer in India) has invested Rs. 150 Crore for setting up of new Nano-Urea plant in Mumbai (Maharashtra). This plant is capable of producing 6,000 MTPA of phosphate rich organic manure. This factor is anticipated to offer new growth opportunities of PROM market in India despite of COVID-19 pandemic.
- The agriculture sector plays key role in the Indian economy. In addition, growing concern from governments and NGOs regarding growth of the agriculture sector in India is another considerable factor that is anticipated to escalate demand for PROM.
- Key-players in the phosphate rich organic manure are coming up with new ideas for production of PROM. Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali Organic Research Institute (PORI) manufactures organic fertilizers such organic potash, phosphate-rich organic manure, organic based pesticides, and others. For instance, according to the article published by Financial Express on March 24 2022, PORI has held discussion with Uttar Pradesh Sugar Mills Association (UPSMA) seeking to supply them 1 lakh metric tons of incineration ash. This ash will be further used as a raw material by PORI and converted to organic potash, bio- fertilizers and other bio-based agricultural inputs.
- In addition, this will benefit locals by providing them with locally available potash fertilizers and PROM at low cost that will further increases crop yield. All these factors are expected to push the demand for phosphate rich organic manure in India during the pandemic situation.
- Current pandemic situation in India has further raised various issues associated with use of pesticides and chemicals in the agricultural field across the nation. Initially, small land owners in India were facing vulnerabilities due to lockdowns and travel restrictions. This, in turn, has created financial availability problems and procurement of fertilizers and chemicals for cultivation.
- In addition, India is the 2nd largest country leading in the supply of spices, tea, and coffee. Implementation of national lockdowns has further created imbalance in the food processing sector. These are the major factors that have increased acceptance and use of organic farming. Farming and crops grown using chemical pesticides and fertilizers are vulnerable to pest attacks that in turn affects human health. This is another considerable factor that is anticipated to offer new growth opportunities for PROM market in the COVID-19 pandemic.
India Phosphate Rich Organic Manure (PROM) Market Report Highlights
By KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
According to CXOs, the India phosphate rich organic manure (PROM) witnessed significant growth in recent years. Phosphate rich organic manure is produced through co-compositing of high-grade rock phosphate along with plant sources such as waste from fruit industries, paddy straw waste, and press mud. PROM is a value-added product that has 18% P2O5 with 22% moisture content. In addition, it is cheaper as compared to other phosphate substitute products such as di-ammonium phosphate (DAP). Moreover, better productivity result of crop yield has further escalated the use and adoption of PROM by Indian farmers. For instance, productivity of paddy crop can be increased by 29% with use of PROM. All these factors collectively drive growth of the India PROM market.
In addition, side effects associated with long term use of traditional fertilizers such as DAP and monoammonium phosphate (MAP) has further created new growth opportunities in the India phosphate rich organic manure market. Long term use of DAP and MAP prohibits growth of useful microorganisms that are essential for crop growth. Benefits associated with use of PROM such as cost-effectiveness, owing to minimal production steps involved and no need of using chemical catalyst further augments growth of the market. Use of PROM in agricultural fields improves supply of phosphorus content to the primary as well as surrounding (secondary) crops, thus enhancing growth of crops and minimizing use of fertilizers. Addition of PROM also minimizes the risk associated such as leaching and run-off in the cultivated crops.