An infantile spasm, also known as a West syndrome, is a rare seizure condition that occurs in an epilepsy syndrome of infancy and childhood. The initiation of infantile spasm usually occurs in the first year of life between four months and eight months of age. The condition is usually observed in 2% of childhood epilepsies and 25% of epilepsies that start in the first year of life. Almost 2,000-4,000 new cases are diagnosed in the U.S. annually. About 50%-70% of infantile spasms patients are affected by other types of seizures, whereas nearly 18%-50% develop either Lennox-Gastaut syndrome or other forms of symptomatic generalized epilepsy. There are only two FDA-approved medical treatment options available in the market-adrenocorticotropic hormone and vigabatrin.
The growing scientific advancements in the treatment for infantile spasms are the major factor that contributes to the market growth. For instance, due to advancements in technology, a seizure alert device has been developed that helps detect seizures and warns the physician through phone calls, alarms, or text messages. These advancements aid in early diagnosis by physicians, which increases the life expectancy of patients. Precise diagnosis of infantile spasms helps the physician make accurate decisions to prescribe an appropriate treatment regimen, thus improving the efficiency of the treatment.
These advanced technologies also help reduce the undiagnosed population, thereby enhancing the penetration rate of infantile spasm drugs. Furthermore, there are various awareness programs conducted by the government and private organizations to decrease the number of undiagnosed cases. Nevertheless, factors such as low success rate could hinder the growth of the infantile spasms therapeutics market.
The global infantile spasms therapeutics market is segmented based on formulation type, route of administration, and geography. Based on formulation type, the market is bifurcated into solid and liquid. Based on route of administration, the market is divided into oral and parenteral. Based on geography, the market has been analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and LAMEA.
Comprehensive competitive analysis and profiles of major market players such as Valerion Therapeutics, Anavex Life Sciences Corp., GW Pharmaceuticals, plc., Mallinckrodt, H. Lundbeck A/S, ORPHELIA Pharma SA, INSYS Therapeutics, Inc., Retrophin, Inc., and CatalystPharma have also been provided in this report.
Key Benefits :
- This report provides an extensive analysis of the current and emerging market trends and dynamics in the global market.
- This report entails a detailed quantitative analysis of the current market and estimations from 2017-2023, which helps identify prevailing market opportunities.
- The projections in this report are made by analyzing the current trends and future market potential from 2017 to 2023 in terms of value.
- Competitive intelligence helps understand the competitive scenario globally
- An in-depth analysis of current research and clinical developments within the market has been provided with key market dynamic factors that helps understand the behavior of the market
Infantile Spasms Therapeutics Market Key Segments:
By Formulation Type
By Route of Administration
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA