The Japan wired charging market size was valued at $0.8 billion in 2020, and is projected to reach $1.2 billion by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 3.8% from 2020 to 2030. Wired charging is done using a wire and is primarily used in the charging of consumer electronics such as mobile phones, laptops, tablets and other, electric vehicle and many other products used in healthcare, energy & power sectors. Wired charging plays an important role in the daily lives of human beings, as everyone is surrounded by chargeable gadgets. Rise in demand for mobile & laptops in this decade led to increase in demand for wired chargers, which acts as the major driving factor for the market.
In addition, rising demand for electric vehicle also boosts the demand for wired charging. Moreover, the Japan market plays a significant role in the wired charging, as Japan is the world's third largest light-duty plug-in vehicle country market after China and the U.S. Furthermore, the government of Japan wants new cars to be electrified to become carbon neutral by 2050, electric vehicles have become more of a necessity for the country to meet these targets. Japan is a leading emitter of greenhouse gas emissions and automobiles account for a significant share in them.
In addition, huge investment plans of Japanese government with respect to electric vehicle charging system led to boost the wired charging market in Japan. Currently, there are three charging methods in Japan for electric-powered vehicles: basic charging, where a car is charged at private homes or condominiums; destination charging, where a car is charged at locations such as shopping malls, do-it-yourself (DIY) stores and family restaurants for the return trip home; and en-route charging at locations including expressway roadside service areas, roadside stations (michi no eki), gas stations, and convenience stores. In both destination and en-route charging, normal charging is suitable for longer-duration stops, while quick charging is appropriate for shorter stops.
Moreover, Japan is one of the countries that was early to the EV game, with the launch of Mitsubishi i-MIEV and Nissan LEAF more than a decade ago. The cars were supported by incentives, and the rollout of AC charging points and DC fast chargers that utilize the Japanese CHAdeMO standard (for several years the standard was spreading globally, including in Europe and North America).
The Japan wired charging market is segmented on the basis of type, charging type, application and sales channel.
Depending on type, the market is categorized into Type C, Micro USB, lightning and others. On the basis of charging type, it is divided into standard and fast charging. On the basis of application, it is classified into personal care, consumer electronics, automotive, energy & power, healthcare and others. Sales channel-wise, it is categorized into online and offline.
The Japan wired charging market analysis covers in-depth information about the major industry participants. The key players operating and profiled in the Japan wired charging industry report include ABB, AOYAMA Elevator Co., Ltd, Apple Inc., Dell Technologies Inc., Delta Electronics, Inc., Huawei Technology Co., Ltd., Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Sunvalley Group, Tesla and Webasto.
Japan wired charging market, by type
By Type, the type C segment dominated the Japan wired charging market in 2020, and is projected to remain the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. This is attributed to its compatible nature and easy availability. In addition, Type C is more portable than other wired cable, since it is easier to fit and has long life than other cables which also act as the major driving factor for the market
Type C is projected to create abundant $ opportunity till 2030
Japan wired charging market, by charging type
By charging type, the standard segment dominated the Japan wired charging market in 2020, and is projected to remain the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. This is attributed to effective price across the globe. In addition, standard charging provides better input to gadget which provide extra safety to battery free from ran out.
By Charging Type
Standard segment is projected as the most lucrative segment.
Japan wired charging market, by application
By application, the consumer electronics segment dominated the Japan wired charging market in 2020, and is projected to remain the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. This is attributed due to increase in demand mobile, laptops and other electronic gadgets across the globe. In addition, rising laptop demand due to work from culture also led to increase the demand of consumer electronics
Consumer Electronics is projected as the most lucrative segment.
Japan wired charging market, by sales channel
By sales channel, the offline segment dominated the Japan wired charging market in 2020, and is projected to remain the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. This is attributed to easy availability and quick service. In addition, electric charger requires installation by company operating team which is also the main growing factor of offline sales channel.
By Sales Channel
Offline holds a dominant position in 2020
Key Benefits For Stakeholders
- The report provides an in-depth analysis of the Japan wired charging market trends along with the current and future market forecast.
- This report highlights the key drivers, opportunities, and restraints of the market along with the impact analyses during the forecast period.
- Porter’s five forces analysis helps analyze the potential of the buyers & suppliers and the competitive scenario of the Japan wired charging market for strategy building.
- A comprehensive Japan wired charging market analysis covers factors that drive and restrain the market growth.
- The qualitative data in this report aims on market dynamics, trends, and developments.
Impact Of Covid-19 On The Japan Wired Charging Market
- Sales of wired charging is directly proportional to sales of mobiles, tablets and other gadgets. Japanese companies such as Philips, Panasonic, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Casio, Pioneer and others, have a significant share in the manufacturing of mobiles, camera, smartwatches and others. The gadget (mobile, tablets, except laptop) industry has been negatively impacted amid the lockdown imposed due to the COVID-19 outbreak and recorded a huge decline in sale of mobiles & tablets in 2020, which also led to decline in sale of wired charging.
- The spread of the coronavirus had a severe impact on Japan's economy through declines in exports, output, demand from overseas tourists and private use. Japan is the major exporter of electronic items and decrease in demand for electronics led to decline in demand for wired charging and shows a huge decline in the market.
- Electric cars are also major markets for wired charging market, but due to the heavy cost of electric cars, the sales of electric car declined during the COVID-19 situation, which also led to decline in sales of the wired charging market.
- COVID impacted almost all industries by hindering various industrial operations and disrupting the supply chain. Maximum companies halted their operation due to less workforce. However, there is a sluggish decline in the Japan wired charging market due to impact of COVID-19.
- The electronic industry acquired a significant share in terms of consumption of wired charging in Japan. Attributed to the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for electronic items such as laptops, has increased due to increase in work from home culture, which in turn increase the demand for wired charging also.
- Furthermore, import and export activities were significantly impacted, which, in turn, adversely affected the industries using wired charging and thereby affecting the Japan wired charging market.
- According to the UNIDO, 30.0%–70.0% of pre-COVID-19 workforce of various industries, such as electrical and other third-party vendors migrated to their hometowns, due to uncertainties and loss of income during the lockdown. This unavailability or less availability of workforce is expected to directly affect the production and manufacturing activities, thereby resulting in decline in demand for raw materials used in wired charging. This is expected to decline the growth of the market during the forecast period.
- The automotive production garners a major share in terms of usage of wired charging. The automotive industry has been negatively impacted amid the lockdown imposed due to the COVID-19 outbreak and recorded decline in vehicles on road (passenger & commercial) in 2020. This has further declined the wired charging demand due to disrupted supply chain, which, in turn, hampered the Japan wired charging market.
- After the reopening of lockdown, people are avoiding use of public transport, and a significant share of people purchased their own car to travel, which led to increase in demand for car and car battery terminal wiring also plays a wide role in wired charging market. However, after lockdown it shows positive impact on sales on wired charging.
Japan Wired Charging Market Report Highlights
By Charging Type
By Sales Channel
Key Market Players
WEBASTO GROUP, SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., DELL TECHNOLOGIES INC., ABB, SUNVALLEY GROUP, HUAWEI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD., TESLA, APPLE INC., DELTA ELECTRONICS, INC., AOYAMA ELEVATOR CO., LTD
The Japan wired charging market has registered a dynamic growth over the past few years, owing to drastic growth in EV market. In addition, huge investment plans of Japanese government with respect to electric vehicle charging system led to boost the wired charging market in Japan. Currently, there are three charging methods in Japan for electric-powered vehicles: basic charging, where a car is charged at private homes or condominiums; destination charging, where a car is charged at locations such as shopping malls, do-it-yourself (DIY) stores and family restaurants for the return trip home; and en-route charging at locations including expressway roadside service areas, roadside stations (michi no eki), gas stations, and convenience stores. In both destination and en-route charging, normal charging is suitable for longer-duration stops, while quick charging is appropriate for shorter stops. However, rising infrastructure development in Japan in region also led to boost the demand for wired charging system. In addition, Japanese government plans to increase the number of normal chargers by 8,000 and quick chargers by 4,000. Normal chargers can be installed in commercial facilities (e.g. large shopping malls, DIY stores and family restaurants), which are destination charging spots or en-route charging spots with longer duration stops (e.g. highway service areas and roadside stations) when a vehicle can be charged. Quick chargers are to be installed at en-route charging spots for shorter-durations stops (e.g. highway parking areas, convenience stores and gas stations).
Rapid development of electronic gadgets and their advantages in the fast pace life have increased the application of wired charging in the form of chargers, data cables and other to provide support to high charging system to gadgets. The innovation and breakthrough in the charging system led to the development of fast charging system in the field of charging, hence leading to the demand for wired charging systems. The above-mentioned applications and rapid development in certain fields will provide ample opportunities for the development of the Japan wired charging market.
Moreover, companies are inheriting acquisitions, product launch, and business expansion strategies to boost the growth of the Japan wired charging market throughout the forecast period. The future demand for electric vehicle is projected to foster the growth of the Japan wired charging market