Cysteine is a sulfur-containing amino acid with a chemically reactive hydroxyl group that gives it its uniqueness. It contributes to protein stability by forming disulphide bridges. As a result, strong fibre strands like hair, wool, and feathers, as well as horns, hooves, and nails, can be formed. These are made up of proteins with a high cysteine content. Feathers are the main source of cysteine. It can also be extracted from human hair, bristles, and swine hooves. Cysteine is extracted from feathers by boiling them in hydrochloric acid. Wacker Chemie AG has developed a bacterial fermentation-based method for producing L-cysteine. N-acetyl-L-cysteine is the most common form of cysteine taken as a supplement (NAC). This is converted into cysteine, which is then converted into glutathione, a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants protect cell membranes and DNA from free harmful compounds in the body. Free radicals are thought to play a role in ageing and the development of a variety of health problems, including heart disease and cancer, according to researchers.
COVID-19 Impact analysis
The recent COVID-19 pandemic has caused the global economy to slow down. The food, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries are all experiencing significant sales declines. This scenario has had a negative impact on the global market’s growth. Aside from that, many players in the L-Cysteine market are experiencing production and trading disruptions. As a result, key players in the L-Cysteine market are focusing more on strategizing their business moves in order to resume normal operations.
Top Impacting Factors
Increased demand for cysteine from the pharmaceutical industry may present an opportunity in the future, given the global expansion of the pharmaceutical industry. Cysteine is in high demand due to its use in the pharmaceutical and food industries. L-cysteine acts as a radical scavenger and can break disulphide bridges in peptides and proteins. It has the ability to act as a reducing agent. As a result, cysteine demand is expected to rise significantly over the forecast period. The cysteine market can be divided into two types based on the method of production: traditional and biotechnology. Traditionally, L-cysteine was derived from animal products such as feathers or hairs. Bacteria were modified, first, to produce far more L-cysteine than they need for themselves using a new biotechnological method developed by Wacker Chemie AG, and, second, to excrete the synthesised L-cysteine into the nutrient broth using a new biotechnological method developed by Wacker Chemie AG.
- The cysteine market can be divided into three types of end-use industries: food and dietary supplement, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals. L-cysteine is used as an intermediate for process flavorings in the food industry. It is mostly found in meat seasonings and roast aromas.
- During the processing of various types of dough, L-cysteine is added to break down the gluten and make the dough easier to knead and process. In the pharmaceutical industry, cysteine is primarily used to make the cysteine derivatives N-acetyl-L-cysteine and S-(carboxymethyl)-L-cysteine. L-cysteine is also used as a processing aid in the refolding of genetically modified proteins.
- Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, and the Middle East and Africa make up the cysteine market. The cysteine market is divided into three major regions: Europe, North America, and Asia Pacific. During the forecast period, Asia Pacific is expected to be the leading region in the cysteine market. The cysteine market in Latin America has a lot of potential.
- Cysteine is used as a dough conditioner in the bakery industry to break down gluten disulfide bonds. The amino acid cysteine reduces the viscosity of dough, making it easier to work with. Cysteine also aids in the increase of elastic property, which aids in the better fermentation of the dough and, as a result, the rise of the dough during baking.
- After the U.S., India is the world's second-largest biscuit producer. In India, the bakery industry is booming, and flavors are set to explode to cater to customers' preferences.
- Fusion and Indo-western flavor trends are at an all-time high in India. Bakeries, for example, are concentrating on combining Indian flavors with French desserts.
- All of these trends in the Indian market are driving demand for flavors, which is expected to lead to an increase in cysteine demand from flavor producers.
- As a result, the bakery industry's cysteine demand has been rising due to increased demand for dough conditioning and other applications.
- The global market was dominated by the Asia-Pacific region. The cysteine market is expected to grow during the forecast period, owing to the growing bakery markets of large countries such as China and India.
- China is the world's largest producer of L-cysteine. The traditional method of producing cysteine from duck feathers and human hair is still used in the country. The traditional method begins with boiling feathers or hair in concentrated hydrochloric acid and activated carbon, followed by electrolysis.
- Wacker Chemie AG, Ajinomoto Pte.Ltd, Donboo Amino Acid Co. Ltd, Wuxi Bikang Bioengineering Co., Nippon Rika Co.Ltd, Merck and Co., Inc., and others are among the top players in the global cysteine market.
Key Benefits of the Report
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the L-Cysteine market along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the L-Cysteine market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the L-Cysteine market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed L-Cysteine market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions Answered in the L-Cysteine Market Report
- Who are the leading market players active in the L-Cysteine market?
- What current trends will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What future projections would help in taking further strategic steps?
- What is L-Cysteine?
- What does L-Cysteine allow organizations to achieve?
- Which technologies combine to make L-Cysteine critical organizational asset?
- What are the current trends and predicted trends?
L-Cysteine Market Report Highlights
By Production Process
By End-User Industry
Key Market Players
Donboo Amino Acid Co. Ltd, Wuxi Bikang Bioengineering Co., Nippon Rika Co.Ltd, Ajinomoto Pte.Ltd, Wacker Chemie AG, Merck and Co., Inc.