Laser Designator Targeting Pods Market Outlook – 2027
The global laser designator targeting pods market is experiencing a significant growth due to increasing demand for enhanced targeting systems. Targeting pods are target designation devices that identify & guide weapons on the designated target. Targeting pods are used in precision-guided munitions (PGM) such as laser-guided weaponry. A series of coded pulses of laser light are fired when a target is marked by a laser designator, the beam is invisible and does not shine continuously. The laser light signals bounce off the target into the sky, where they are detected by the seeker on the laser-guided munition, which steers itself towards the center of the reflected signal.
COVID-19 scenario analysis:
- Targeting pod system manufacturers are forced to shut down production operations due to government-imposed lockdown to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Military agencies are witnessing delay in procurement of targeting pods due to disruption in supply chain caused by the government initiatives to control the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Governments worldwide are diverting financial resources to healthcare services as priority in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic, hence creating budget constraints for military agencies.
- Research & development of targeting pod system is adversely affected due to lack of workforce caused by the travel bans imposed by governments globally to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Top impacting factors: market scenario analysis, trends, drivers and impact analysis
Surge in military aircraft upgradation program, increase in demand for aircraft payload-based targeting systems, and rise in adoption of short-wave infrared (SWIR) are the factors that drive the global laser designator targeting pods market. However, high cost associated with development & development of targeting pods and stringent policies against transfer of technology hinder the market growth. On the contrary, developments in optical electro-targeting systems, space warfare technology, and fifth-generation fighter aircrafts present new pathways in the industry.
The global laser designator targeting pods market trends are as follows:
Surge in military aircraft upgradation program
Military agencies are investing in procurement of modern targeting pods for integration into aging aircrafts to enhance target engagement capabilities. For instance, in 2019, Tejas, India's indigenous supersonic Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), was upgraded with advanced targeting systems by the Indian Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), which successfully developed indigenous laser designator pods (LDPs). The LDPs exponentially increase the attack and fighting capabilities of the Tejas fighter, which has already joined the Indian Air Force (IAF), by turning it into an extremely formidable jet which can undertake day as well as night operations and in all weather conditions. Laser designator pod (LDP) is the laser sensor-cum-targeting system used in aircraft and provides inputs in actual flight conditions. These are advanced airborne infrared targeting and navigation pods to improve both day and night attack capabilities in all weather conditions. It performs tasks like detection, recognition, identification, designation of surface targets, accurate delivery of guided bombs and accurate ranging. Further, LDPs allow laser-guided weapons to be delivered at stand-off range and altitude while their infrared sensors operate in the mid-wave infrared band, allowing them to retain their effectiveness in warm as well as humid conditions. Such surge in military aircraft upgradation program is expected to boost the global laser designator targeting pods market.
Key benefits of the report:
- This study presents the analytical depiction of the global laser designator targeting pods industry along with the current trends and future estimations to determine the imminent investment pockets.
- The report presents information related to key drivers, restraints, and opportunities along with detailed analysis of the global laser designator targeting pods market share.
- The current market is quantitatively analyzed to highlight the global laser designator targeting pods market growth scenario.
- Porter’s five forces analysis illustrates the potency of buyers & suppliers in the market.
- The report provides a detailed global laser designator targeting pods market analysis based on competitive intensity and how the competition will take shape in coming years.
Questions answered in the laser designator targeting pods market research report:
- Which are the leading market players active in the laser designator targeting pods market?
- What are the current trends that will influence the market in the next few years?
- What are the driving factors, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What are the projections for the future that would help in taking further strategic steps?
Laser Designator Targeting Pods Market Report Highlights
Key Market Players
MOOG Inc., Israel Aerospace Industries, FLIR Systems, Lockheed Martin Corporation, Oioptik., Northrop Grumman, Raytheon Company, Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd, Ultra Electronics, Thales Group